Yamaha RX-V6A/TSR-700 views?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I noticed the Yamaha TSR-700 popped back up on Costco's website at $439.99. It has gone up 10% from its original price. Costco likes to bounce around their available AVRs these days with the $449.99 Denon AVR-S760H and the $499.99 Onkyo TX-NR6050 being available from time to time.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
IMG_2112[2398].jpg

Guys, can someone help me understand why Dialogue is -5 in Audio Signal Information in "Options> menu? Source is Panny UB-420 BD Player.

Last edited:
HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
I've seen that in the users manual but it still isn't telling me much about why it is at -5. Does this affect dialogue on BD's? I assume there's no way to change it?
Being a newbie to this receiver and a half-brained senior, it's not easy to decipher info in the user manual at times

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
As for "Channel In" info, it will always show "- - -" when playing back atmos tracks and using atmos assignments for height speakers or Dolby Speaker Virtualization. Change the amp assignment to 5.1 or 7.1 with no height speakers assigned and Dolby Speaker Virtualization set to OFF and the "Format" info will change from "Atmos/DTHD" to just "DTHD" and the "Channel In" info will display "3/2/2.1" for the 7.1 track sans processing of the metadata.

HTnewb

HTnewb

Junior Audioholic
Guys, are there any problems that might occur with ports 1-3 when connecting 2.0 devices into them? My V6 still has the old board for now. I prefer keeping used ports in sequential order.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
There are no issues concerning 2.0 devices. The issues concern certain HDMI 2.1 features. A new HDMI board and firmware update afterward are required for some HDMI 2.1 features.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Here is some information included with my Yamaha RX-V6A upon its return.
0515723B-CA10-4E2E-8303-C86D242E43FB.jpeg

T

themcbrooms

Audiophyte
Could someone confirm the following,

That neither YPAO Volume, Enhancer, or Extra Bass, do NOT work when surround decode is set to Auto, Dolby Surround, Neural:X or when Atmos is playing.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
After running YPAO, YPAO Volume is ON by default. There is nothing in the manual to indicate that it does not work with certain signals for one reason or another once ON. The Enhancer works for compressed audio up to a sampling frequency of 48kHz. Compressed Atmos tracks would fall into this category. It does not work at all for DSD Audio. The "Extra Bass" feature can do two different things based on the Speaker Settings. If Speakers are set to Small, "Extra Bass" is added to the signal when ON. If Speakers are set to Large, "Extra Bass" acts like "LFE+MAIN" from Denon/Marantz and "Double Bass" from Onkyo/Pioneer in that it sends the low frequencies that are already going to the Large Front Speakers to the Subwoofer as well without adding "Extra Bass." There is nothing in the manual to indicate that the features mentioned do not work based on the selected decoder. However, the Enhancer feature will not work with some audio signals.

T

themcbrooms

Audiophyte
After running YPAO, YPAO Volume is ON by default. There is nothing in the manual to indicate that it does not work with certain signals for one reason or another once ON. The Enhancer works for compressed audio up to a sampling frequency of 48kHz. Compressed Atmos tracks would fall into this category. It does not work at all for DSD Audio. The "Extra Bass" feature can do two different things based on the Speaker Settings. If Speakers are set to Small, "Extra Bass" is added to the signal when ON. If Speakers are set to Large, "Extra Bass" acts like "LFE+MAIN" from Denon/Marantz and "Double Bass" from Onkyo/Pioneer in that it sends the low frequencies that are already going to the Large Front Speakers to the Subwoofer as well without adding "Extra Bass." There is nothing in the manual to indicate that the features mentioned do not work based on the selected decoder. However, the Enhancer feature will not work with some audio signals.
I previously noticed that the Enhancer and Extra Bass features did not work with certain signals, but I was somewhat surprised when I just discovered that YPOA Volume had the same restrictions as well.

Thanks for confirming that it’s not just my unit.

I wonder why they would disable YPOA Volume, when using DSU or playing Atmos or DTS:X content?

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I’m not confirming that YPAO Volume does not work in certain scenarios. After running YPAO, YPAO Volume is turned ON by default. There is nothing in the manual that I could find that indicates that it does not work with certain signals or decoders when ON. Yamaha goes so far as to recommend enabling Adaptive DRC as well as YPAO Volume when listening at low volume and does not mention either of them not working with certain signals or decoders.

T

themcbrooms

Audiophyte
I’m not confirming that YPAO Volume does not work in certain scenarios. After running YPAO, YPAO Volume is turned ON by default. There is nothing in the manual that I could find that indicates that it does not work with certain signals or decoders when ON. Yamaha goes so far as to recommend enabling Adaptive DRC as well as YPAO Volume when listening at low volume and does not mention either of them not working with certain signals or decoders.
I am aware what the manual says.

I see real world usage differs, thus my post.

You can hear YPOA Volume apply when toggled on at lower volumes under -20db, just not when playing when surround decode is on Auto (Dolby Surround), Neural X, or playing Atmos or DTS:X content.

In short, I think I discovered a bug (or an issue with the manual missing details). I am in contact with Yamaha support about it as well.

Could you, or someone else who follows what I am saying, try and confirm the same and let me know what you find?

Thanks!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis