Help Needed - Please, random noise from speakers.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Hi Folks,

I've been really frustrated with my home theater system. I finally was able to make some upgrades and now I'm having issues that I've never seen before. I'm currently running a Marantz AV8805 with my Rotel Amp RMB-1555. I currently have Martin Logan speakers (have been using them for 3 years).

After installing the system in the new house I've noticed some weird noises (looks like geiger counter noise) that's the best way I can explain. All cables are fine and well connected (audioquest cables). this noise happens randomly every time I watch a movie (either my plex remux movies or a blu-ray disk on my Panasonic UBP-820).

I was able to finally record during the movie Unbroken since the issue is not happening all the time. It happens once during a movie and then stops for the rest of it.

Please this is really frustrating and I really don't know what could be causing this. I'm running a panamax 5300 which I've never had issues with.

Thanks you so much for your help.

G

gellert

Audiophyte
Sounds really strange.
It is a long shot, but could it be some of the electrical curcuits in the new house, that is causing it?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hi Folks,

I've been really frustrated with my home theater system. I finally was able to make some upgrades and now I'm having issues that I've never seen before. I'm currently running a Marantz AV8805 with my Rotel Amp RMB-1555. I currently have Martin Logan speakers (have been using them for 3 years).

After installing the system in the new house I've noticed some weird noises (looks like geiger counter noise) that's the best way I can explain. All cables are fine and well connected (audioquest cables). this noise happens randomly every time I watch a movie (either my plex remux movies or a blu-ray disk on my Panasonic UBP-820).

I was able to finally record during the movie Unbroken since the issue is not happening all the time. It happens once during a movie and then stops for the rest of it.

Please this is really frustrating and I really don't know what could be causing this. I'm running a panamax 5300 which I've never had issues with.

Hmmm, what were your upgrades? Do you play music and does it happen then too? How are you sourcing music—is it HDMI too? Is the noise coming from all channels? Have you tried shutting off the Panamax and then going straight from the wall outlets?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Sounds really strange.
It is a long shot, but could it be some of the electrical curcuits in the new house, that is causing it?
thanks for replying.

wasn’t the Panamax suppose to filter that? Also is not brand new but not an old one for sure. Built in 2003.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Are your ML's electrostats? If they are, their internal electronics are another possible source of the noise. Swap the left and right speakers and see if the noise follows the speaker or stays with the channel.

If they're just passive speakers, disregard.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Hmmm, what were your upgrades? Do you play music and does it happen then too? How are you sourcing music—is it HDMI too? Is the noise coming from all channels? Have you tried shutting off the Panamax and then going straight from the wall outlets?

Hey Golf,

the not upgrade was the new av8805. I’m running rcas and the unit is dead silence. There’s not specific time for the issue to happen during a movie. I don’t play music at all. The noise is coming from all channels.I haven’t try removing the panamax. I’m in Colorado and it’s dry and cold during this year. I’m renting the place so im Not sure what to do. Like hiring someone to break the walls and install a dedicated 15amp circuit.
Also, talking to my wife this happened at our old location. An apartment built in 2018 while I was still using a denon 4700h as pre amp. So I’m not sure if was the Panamax or the Rotel.

really confusing

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Are your ML's electrostats? If they are, their internal electronics are another possible source of the noise. Swap the left and right speakers and see if the noise follows the speaker or stays with the channel.

If they're just passive speakers, disregard.
thanks for that.

they are not. They are the motion 40’s

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Hi Folks,

My first though is that this is most likely some type of RF (radio interference). The next culprit would be mains borne interference.

The first thing that I would do is eliminated the Panamax and see if that has any effect.

You say this is a new home. Is it just built, or an older home you moved into? If it is a new home what does it have for infrastructure, especially HVAC and everything associated with that? I ask that as new systems have relay free, solid state switching, which can be a source of random RF.

The next issue is what is in the neighborhood, in terms of business activity? I ask this as industrial equipment can be a potent cause of RF, especially metal fabrication.

My hunch is that this issue is more likely than not external to your system.

Well, if it happened at another location, then that changes the possibilities entirely and means it must be generated in your system. The prime suspect has to be the Panamax.

Last edited:
J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
My first though is that this is most likely some type of RF (radio interference). The next culprit would be mains borne interference.

The first thing that I would do is eliminated the Panamax and see if that has any effect.

You say this is a new home. Is it just built, or an older home you moved into? If it is a new home what does it have for infrastructure, especially HVAC and everything associated with that? I ask that as new systems have relay free, solid state switching, which can be a source of random RF.

The next issue is what is in the neighborhood, in terms of business activity? I ask this as industrial equipment can be a potent cause of RF, especially metal fabrication.

My hunch is that this issue is more likely than not external to your system.
Thanks a lot TLS.
I’ve just moved. The house was built is 2003. HVAC unit is 2 years old and was serviced, not sure if that changes anything. I’m really sorry but I suck when it comes to electricity. I can take pictures and everything if needed.
There’s no business activity around. Just a town home community.

thanks

highfigh

highfigh

Thanks a lot TLS.
I’ve just moved. The house was built is 2003. HVAC unit is 2 years old and was serviced, not sure if that changes anything. I’m really sorry but I suck when it comes to electricity. I can take pictures and everything if needed.
There’s no business activity around. Just a town home community.

thanks
Do you have a well for your water? If so, this might come from the pump/equipment for filtering.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Hey Golf,

the not upgrade was the new av8805. I’m running rcas and the unit is dead silence. There’s not specific time for the issue to happen during a movie. I don’t play music at all. The noise is coming from all channels.I haven’t try removing the panamax. I’m in Colorado and it’s dry and cold during this year. I’m renting the place so im Not sure what to do. Like hiring someone to break the walls and install a dedicated 15amp circuit.
Also, talking to my wife this happened at our old location. An apartment built in 2018 while I was still using a denon 4700h as pre amp. So I’m not sure if was the Panamax or the Rotel.

really confusing
Well because it happened at your old location, then you migrated the source/cause of the noise with you. We are getting closer.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Do you have a well for your water? If so, this might come from the pump/equipment for filtering.
Actually no,

I’m in Denver area so I don’t think these townhomes have a well for water.

Thanks

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Let’s remember that on my other apartment which was brand new pretty much I had the same issue in December before moving. Could this be static due to cold and dry weather? That’s really weird. Also if the Panamax ended up being the issue what’s the one you guys recommended?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Let’s remember that on my other apartment which was brand new pretty much I had the same issue in December before moving. Could this be static due to cold and dry weather? That’s really weird. Also if the Panamax ended up being the issue what’s the one you guys recommended?
Static would be a pop I believe. Plus I sold stereos in Colorado for 8 years (Ft. Collins) and didn’t have static issues. Feeding off TLS thoughts above about RF, then you have a common vulnerability you brought with you to your new home. It is all channels. So there are reputable companies (crutchfield) that allow 60 day returns. Why not try removing the Panamax? If it still continues, try a different amp?

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Static would be a pop I believe. Plus I sold stereos in Colorado for 8 years (Ft. Collins) and didn’t have static issues. Feeding off TLS thoughts above about RF, then you have a common vulnerability you brought with you to your new home. It is all channels. So there are reputable companies (crutchfield) that allow 60 day returns. Why not try removing the Panamax? If it still continues, try a different amp?

thanks a lot.

I have ordered a monolith 5x today. I could also pickup a brand new furman at my local bestbuy or another Panamax and test.
I’m really afraid that my system is bad. I have 60 days return policy with Best Buy since I’m a total tech support member.
Is really frustrating when you have saved everything to get a better system and this happens.

I just hope I don’t have to break the house to install a dedicated line just for the home theater.

thanks

highfigh

highfigh

thanks a lot.

I have ordered a monolith 5x today. I could also pickup a brand new furman at my local bestbuy or another Panamax and test.
I’m really afraid that my system is bad. I have 60 days return policy with Best Buy since I’m a total tech support member.
Is really frustrating when you have saved everything to get a better system and this happens.

I just hope I don’t have to break the house to install a dedicated line just for the home theater.

thanks
Do you have a computer near the AV system? If so, turn it off and unplug the power cord. If the noise stops, it's likely the computer's power supply.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Do you have a computer near the AV system? If so, turn it off and unplug the power cord. If the noise stops, it's likely the computer's power supply.
Hey highfigh
This room has just the av equipment and 2 Valencia recliners for me wife and I. The computer is on the other room inside the closet.

this was one of the bedrooms that we don’t use and decided to make it our space for movies.

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
Well good luck then. Please let us know how it’s going. I doubt it is a problem with your house wiring. Otherwise why would that transfer to your new location.

Regarding power conditioners there is another website Audio Science Review that routinely discounts the expensive use of power conditioners over that of just a good surge suppressor. But others use them as “mistake avoidance” insurance just in case.

J

Joao Pessoa

Enthusiast
Well good luck then. Please let us know how it’s going. I doubt it is a problem with your house wiring. Otherwise why would that transfer to your new location.

Regarding power conditioners there is another website Audio Science Review that routinely discounts the expensive use of power conditioners over that of just a good surge suppressor. But others use them as “mistake avoidance” insurance just in case.

Thanks again for your time.

I have this same thread there but so far no one replied. So sometimes is just better to avoid them?

G

Golfx

Full Audioholic
You can google Amir’s YouTube’s and his reviews and decide for yourself. Surge suppression with a UPS seems popular and thoughtful as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis