Webb Space Telescope

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Just like Hubble telescope, they had to fix a few things on that which blows my mind. All that money spent and I think one of her lenses was shaped incorrectly. Like how's that happen?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Building something on Earth that was designed to be used A) in space, B) focus on objects that are at extreme distances and C) at terrestrial temperature make it very difficult to test the focal length but it may be a case of something being jarred during the launch. It's fortunate that the 'contact lens' they designed worked so well or it would have been a bust.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Building something on Earth that was designed to be used A) in space, B) focus on objects that are at extreme distances and C) at terrestrial temperature make it very difficult to test the focal length but it may be a case of something being jarred during the launch. It's fortunate that the 'contact lens' they designed worked so well or it would have been a bust.
Straight from NASA, and it isn't nearly as interesting as all that:

Ultimately the problem was traced to miscalibrated equipment during the mirror's manufacture. The result was a mirror with an aberration one-50th the thickness of a human hair, in the grinding of the mirror.

highfigh

highfigh

Straight from NASA, and it isn't nearly as interesting as all that:

Ultimately the problem was traced to miscalibrated equipment during the mirror's manufacture. The result was a mirror with an aberration one-50th the thickness of a human hair, in the grinding of the mirror.

At least it wasn't a case of someone entering the wrong units for parachute deployment, like that Mars lander that 'came in a bit hot'- the chute was supposed to deploy at 60 miles and it happened at 60Km.

My brother lives in Hartford, CT and he said the grounds crew at Hubbel let the shrubbery grow wild under the sign at the main entrance, so people wouldn't be able to see it. Once the corrective lens was installed and working better than expected, they trimmed everything.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I bet they finally find aliens with that brand new telescope.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Looks like the JWST team is calling an audible today and will deploy the Aft Radiator, pushing the Mirror deployments to Fri and Sat.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yes, but aliens from 10 billion years ago. ;)
Funny you mentioned that. Read a article on aliens that said the very same thing you just mentioned. That maybe the reason we ain't found no aliens because they all dead from billions of years ago.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Funny you mentioned that. Read a article on aliens that said the very same thing you just mentioned. That maybe the reason we ain't found no aliens because they all dead from billions of years ago.
That's one of the solutions for the Fermi Paradox. 13 billion years is a lot of time for civilizations to come and go. There may have been thousands or millions of different civilizations that we'll never know about, and there's no guarantee any 2 would ever exist at the same time.

Another interesting solution is the "Dark Forest" hypothesis. It posits the universe is a hostile place with some malevolent species bent on conquest for resources so the benevolent ones are radio silent to stay hidden while the malevolent ones hide like hunters looking for technosignatures from other civilizations that could be potential threats and attack them as soon as they're discovered.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
That's one of the solutions for the Fermi Paradox. 13 billion years is a lot of time for civilizations to come and go. There may have been thousands or millions of different civilizations that we'll never know about, and there's no guarantee any 2 would ever exist at the same time.

Another interesting solution is the "Dark Forest" hypothesis. It posits the universe is a hostile place with some malevolent species bent on conquest for resources so the benevolent ones are radio silent to stay hidden while the malevolent ones hide like hunters looking for technosignatures from other civilizations that could be potential threats and attack them as soon as they're discovered.
I think that was covered in Independence Day. :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The first of the two mirror wings has been unfolded and locked in place.

(getting excited, now)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Fully deployed!

Next up: the mirror segments.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Here’s a good read about the next steps:
Some interesting points which stuck out to me:
The initial movement of the segments seems scheduled to begin on 1/11.
The initial movement will be about 1/2” to put the mirror segments into the correct shape for functionality.
Fine tuning the mirror alignment is not expected to be completed until sometime in April, around the 24th.
Science instruments will be brought online while mirror adjustments are being made and the telescope continues cooling to operational temperature.
"We start with the mirrors off by millimeters and we're driving them to be aligned to within less than the size of a coronavirus, to tens of nanometers…"

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Here’s a good read about the next steps:
Some interesting points which stuck out to me:
The initial movement of the segments seems scheduled to begin on 1/11.
The initial movement will be about 1/2” to put the mirror segments into the correct shape for functionality.
Fine tuning the mirror alignment is not expected to be completed until sometime in April, around the 24th.
Science instruments will be brought online while mirror adjustments are being made and the telescope continues cooling to operational temperature.
Wow. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to see the deep space pics from this Telescope.

R

rnatalli

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like Webb is almost to L2; certainly an impressive feat. Looking forward to seeing pics going all the way back to 100 million years after the big bang.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Looks like Webb is almost to L2; certainly an impressive feat. Looking forward to seeing pics going all the way back to 100 million years after the big bang.
Is there a galactic calendar someplace? ;) :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Insertion burn is now scheduled to begin on Monday 1/24.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis