Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
>>>SARS-CoV-2 ferritin nanoparticle vaccine induces robust innate immune activity driving polyfunctional spike-specific T cell responses<<<

If this pans out it will be quite an amazing achievement.
Thanks for the link to that NPJ Vaccines paper. The introduction and discussion sections are a good read.

The authors careful attention to the SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell responses generated by the vaccine are excellent. Those immune T-cell responses look like they're durable and adaptive. It took a lot of work to get all that good info.

It would be very interesting to try a combined vaccination scheme: the 1st dose would be this new SARS-CoV-2 ferritin nanoparticle vaccine, followed by a boost using one of the mRNA vaccines. Would that result in better or different (longer lasting) immunization than two doses of the ferritin nanoparticles, or two/three doses of mRNA vaccines?

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Ritonavir also has other activity in the liver. As I mentioned above, it inhibits the major P450 isoforms 3A4 and 2D6. It also induces new expression of another P450 isoform, CYP1A2. If another drug is normally inactivated by CYP3A4 or CYP2D6, inhibiting those cytochromes by adding ritonavir to the mix could result in an over dose. And, if CYP1A2 can inactivate a drug, adding ritonavir could result in their rapid removal from circulation. As a result, ritonavir given in combination with a variety of other medications may result in serious and sometimes fatal drug interactions. It has to be carefully managed in each patient, depending on what other drugs they routinely take.

Apparently, Pfizer has dealt with these potential problems, and the FDA did approve the drug mixture, if its given as 30 tablets over 5 days. That's probably why its packaged as a bubble-pack of 30 tablets.
Interesting. I had read about potential issues with Ritonavir and other medications, but (as I recall) the issues were raised by Merck which made me wonder if it was exaggerated.

Based on some google searching, it appears to me that the number of drugs that could interact with Ritonavir is quite large (608 according to the drugs.com website)(drugs.com also lists 5 disease interactions).

Of these, 213 are listed as "major" drug interactions, and 354 are listed as "moderate":

More google searching for most common prescriptions suggests that (as of 2019) quite a few of major and moderate drugs are very commonly prescribed:

According to the website above, there are 24.5 million people in the U.S. taking Atorvastatin alone, which is in the major drug interaction category according to drugs.com.

This is completely outside of my wheelhouse, so I have no idea how difficult it will be to manage all of these potential interactions.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the link to that NPJ Vaccines paper. The introduction and discussion sections are a good read.

The authors careful attention to the SARS-CoV-2-specific CD4+ and CD8+ T-cell responses generated by the vaccine are excellent. Those immune T-cell responses look like they're durable and adaptive. It took a lot of work to get all that good info.

It would be very interesting to try a combined vaccination scheme: the 1st dose would be this new SARS-CoV-2 ferritin nanoparticle vaccine, followed by a boost using one of the mRNA vaccines. Would that result in better or different (longer lasting) immunization than two doses of the ferritin nanoparticles, or two/three doses of mRNA vaccines?
I love a good cocktail .......... :)

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
The surges in New Orleans, Miami, and Houston are starting to show up on the risk level map at globalepidemics.org. These localized "wildfires" in areas that previously had low infection rates seems to be a new pattern compared to the geographic spread of the past few months. I'm guessing this is due to the extremely high infectiousness of this variant.

1640285759614.png

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Based on some google searching, it appears to me that the number of drugs that could interact with Ritonavir is quite large (608 according to the drugs.com website)(drugs.com also lists 5 disease interactions).

This [drug interaction] is completely outside of my wheelhouse, so I have no idea how difficult it will be to manage all of these potential interactions.
It's barely within my wheelhouse, and I've been aware of it for over 20 years. Those long drug interaction lists you found may look daunting, but in practice, most of them can be managed. What matters most is how much and how often you take those drugs – dose & schedule – the total exposure. I'm guessing that the dose of Paxlovid is low enough, and the 5-day schedule is short enough, to make for a small manageable problem. Note that the FDA is allowing Covid-19 patients to take Paxlovid at home. If it were more dangerous, they would require it be given only to patients while hospitalized. Eventually, the FDA will require Pfizer to run some small phase 1 clinical trials to see what dose levels are safe in people with various levels of impaired liver function.

Good physicians and pharmacists are well aware of this problem. That's why they're always asking about what other prescription and non-prescription drugs you take.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Interesting. I had read about potential issues with Ritonavir and other medications, but (as I recall) the issues were raised by Merck which made me wonder if it was exaggerated.

Of these, 213 are listed as "major" drug interactions, and 354 are listed as "moderate":

More google searching for most common prescriptions suggests that (as of 2019) quite a few of major and moderate drugs are very commonly prescribed:

According to the website above, there are 24.5 million people in the U.S. taking Atorvastatin alone, which is in the major drug interaction category according to drugs.com.

This is completely outside of my wheelhouse, so I have no idea how difficult it will be to manage all of these potential interactions.
Those interactions make the drug virtually useless. That interaction list is pretty much the whole pharmacopeia. The list contains, a huge number of cardiovascular drugs, lipid lowering drugs, antihypertensives, diabetic drugs, lipid lowering drugs, and immune modulators. So many of these drugs could not be stopped, and goodness knows how you would go about modifying doses.

It looks to me this drug should not have got approval, at the least it looks like an in hospital drug only for a lot of patients, and certainly not something to prescribe over the phone.

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
Florida breaks record with 31,758 new COVID cases
The 31,758 cases, attributed to December 23 in the latest federal data released, surpasses the previous record of 27,669 from Aug. 26.

Here are the updated Florida numbers as of Friday afternoon:

• 3,864,288 total cases
  • 62,347 deaths

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Florida breaks record with 31,758 new COVID cases
The 31,758 cases, attributed to December 23 in the latest federal data released, surpasses the previous record of 27,669 from Aug. 26.

Here are the updated Florida numbers as of Friday afternoon:

• 3,864,288 total cases
  • 62,347 deaths
Is the governor governing or just curled up someplace or trying to hide all this bad news?

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
He hasn't said a word.
What's really curious is all the secrecy surrounding breakthrough cases in Florida. I can't help but wonder if DeSantis doesn't want the public to know that the unvaccinated are ending up in the hospitals (assuming that this is what's happening).

>>>For more than two months, the Tampa Bay Times and other news organizations have been asking Florida for data that breaks down how many vaccinated people have been infected, hospitalized or died of COVID-19.

They are called “breakthrough” cases, data that would show how effectively the vaccine has protected Floridians — and how vulnerable the unvaccinated are.

But the Florida Department of Health has continually refused those requests, citing what public health and legal experts say are misplaced privacy concerns.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also refuses to release that data, deferring to the state on whether to share it publicly.<<<

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
What's really curious is all the secrecy surrounding breakthrough cases in Florida. I can't help but wonder if DeSantis doesn't want the public to know that the unvaccinated are ending up in the hospitals (assuming that this is what's happening).

>>>For more than two months, the Tampa Bay Times and other news organizations have been asking Florida for data that breaks down how many vaccinated people have been infected, hospitalized or died of COVID-19.

They are called “breakthrough” cases, data that would show how effectively the vaccine has protected Floridians — and how vulnerable the unvaccinated are.

But the Florida Department of Health has continually refused those requests, citing what public health and legal experts say are misplaced privacy concerns.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention also refuses to release that data, deferring to the state on whether to share it publicly.<<<

DeathSantis controls all.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
You might be a little on the fatalistic side. I don't see deaths going up much in South Africa or Europe, but the hospitalizing is going up. BTW I'm triple vaxed and still wear a mask indoors but that's just me.
all wise and prudent people have taken the booster and remain masked.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Your post sounds like an audiophile salesman just as the customer is about to leave the store without buying anything.
The CD just predicted 1 out of every 3 Americans will get this. Truth is not fanaticism just because the message is extreme.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
The CD just predicted 1 out of every 3 Americans will get this. Truth is not fanaticism just because the message is extreme.
Surprisingly many fail to recognize this about truth.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis