Can a better speaker separate instruments better?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I really want to get the Fritz Carrera BE speakers.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
They seem to be around your price range ... so, your call
It will be a while to afford them, but it's good checking out all options. The VS 260s were a good deal at a little over $400. They sound pretty good with more watts driving them. Also the sub helps. I appreciate every one's opinions.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The VS 260s were a good deal at a little over $400. They sound pretty good with more watts driving them.
I use to own the VS260 ... Boston did a good job on them ... and many people took advantage of the closeout deals ... but as in all things audio, there is always something out there to aim for

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
So true. Listening to the DVD A of Fragile by Yes. Steven Wilson did a great job even in the stereo remix.

wldock

wldock

Enthusiast
I used to own a pair of VS 260s (and I also had a second pair that I never opened). They were pretty good speakers, especially at closeout prices and used prices. Their drawbacks were low sensitivity and the awkward cabinet bottom making them a little unstable on stands (and I live in a multi-story building in earthquake country). I liked the looks of the cabinets a lot, but they just weren't practical.

I also had the opportunity to do an in-home trial of the BMRs. If the VS 260s were good, and they were, then the BMRs were very, very good.
A little Blue Tack on the bottom and the speakers are attached pretty securely. The VS 260 are nice and produce a larger soundstage than the older Boston VR3 and VR965 when I compared them side-by-side.

IMG_20211224_192820.jpg

A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
I have an old pair of Boston Acoustics VS 260 speakers. I noticed on Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon sacd stereo it can get a little congested at times. Is that the recording, or can better speakers open this up?
You could easily empty your wallet and still face disappointment when chasing nuances in music listening (imaging/soundfield focus/instrument separation/whatever else) with 2 channel gear. Stereo has its limitations. But, thanks to more recent advancements in technology, 3D object based processors that offer native or upmixing into Atmos/Auto/etc exist these days. Yes, the speaker count goes up and the setup can be very involved. But, once you've heard a well setup Atmos/auro etc system, it can be very hard to go back to stereo for music.

Imo/Ime, it is worthwhile to invest in both camps, stereo and multichannel to keep your options open. I have been upmixng/ listening to a lot of dense orchestral pieces and I can't believe how amazing this 3D object based multichannel stuff has been with some of it .

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I totally get that. I only had 5 channel, but it did sound great. I am just simplifying. Giving the center and surround speakers to my son so he can enjoy them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis