Can a better speaker separate instruments better?

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I have an old pair of Boston Acoustics VS 260 speakers. I noticed on Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon sacd stereo it can get a little congested at times. Is that the recording, or can better speakers open this up?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Generally, yes, better speakers can be more neutral and resolving, but your content may be the cause of your problem. Some of the reissues of DSOM leave something to be desired, being victims of loudness wars compression.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
The sacd stereo is supposedly from the original masters. Might just be the mastering.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Keep in mind that that album was the result of lots of knob twiddling in production by some really high dudes. For determining how well your speakers separate instruments, there are better choices.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I know Alan Parsons did most of the knob turning. I don't think he was the partier like the band.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Yeah, but still, if you want something that will show how well, or how poorly, your speakers can delineate different instruments, an ensemble of unamplified acoustic instruments, well recorded, would be better than Dark Side.

Maybe I am just a WYWH kind of Floyd fan. Dark Side lacks staying power for me. And I hear the same sort of distracting congestion in it too.

Anywho, back to the speaker end of the equation, I wouldn't junk your speakers based on their rendition of Dark Side. Those old Bostons were always easy on my ears, from what I recall. But there are undoubtedly better modern speakers to choose from, if and when you upgrade. But even, say, forum favorite Philharmonic BMRs won't separate instruments in the blob of a mix of DSOM any better.

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Actually, the stereo part of that sacd sounds great. I'm just wondering how much better- better components in a speaker help that separation. The old Boston Acoustics are pretty good. Best they made. They do have DB Acoustics drivers. Retail was $1,399. a pair. I got them new for $420.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an old pair of Boston Acoustics VS 260 speakers. I noticed on Pink Floyd Dark Side Of The Moon sacd stereo it can get a little congested at times. Is that the recording, or can better speakers open this up?
Better speakers generally do everything better.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Yeah, but still, if you want something that will show how well, or how poorly, your speakers can delineate different instruments, an ensemble of unamplified acoustic instruments, well recorded, would be better than Dark Side.

Maybe I am just a WYWH kind of Floyd fan. Dark Side lacks staying power for me. And I hear the same sort of distracting congestion in it too.

Anywho, back to the speaker end of the equation, I wouldn't junk your speakers based on their rendition of Dark Side. Those old Bostons were always easy on my ears, from what I recall. But there are undoubtedly better modern speakers to choose from, if and when you upgrade. But even, say, forum favorite Philharmonic BMRs won't separate instruments in the blob of a mix of DSOM any better.
The Wish You Were Here sacd separates really good. Save my bucks for another day.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah I like the SACD of WYWH more than DSotM, but I like them both otoh....they both were prominent in my teens :) Generally both are well done considering the time/gear....

ps on re-reading this, it's not that the multich sacd was anything I knew about at the time vs vinyl, nor was I into quad back then.....but really like the multich sacd versions I've latched onto in the last coupla years!

Last edited:
Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
Yeah I like the SACD of WYWH more than DSotM, but I like them both otoh....they both were prominent in my teens :) Generally both are well done considering the time/gear....

ps on re-reading this, it's not that the multich sacd was anything I knew about at the time vs vinyl, nor was I into quad back then.....but really like the multich sacd versions I've latched onto in the last coupla years!
I went back to stereo just to simplify. The surround was pretty cool though. Saw Pink Floyd in 1972 at the Hollywood Bowl. They had surround live even back then in quad.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
What's a good upgrade from Boston Acoustics VS 260? Hegel H190 amp. Under 3k. New or used.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
The Phil BMRs I mentioned are in this price range, and value and performance champs. Quite a span in cost, from <2k for the kits, to the fancy pants Salk produced version which get up there, and Dennis' Philharmonic version in the middle.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I used to own a pair of VS 260s (and I also had a second pair that I never opened). They were pretty good speakers, especially at closeout prices and used prices. Their drawbacks were low sensitivity and the awkward cabinet bottom making them a little unstable on stands (and I live in a multi-story building in earthquake country). I liked the looks of the cabinets a lot, but they just weren't practical.

I also had the opportunity to do an in-home trial of the BMRs. If the VS 260s were good, and they were, then the BMRs were very, very good.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
The Phil BMRs I mentioned are in this price range, and value and performance champs. Quite a span in cost, from <2k for the kits, to the fancy pants Salk produced version which get up there, and Dennis' Philharmonic version in the middle.

The Salk still use the better woofer, but a lot more in cost. Might be worth it. Thanks. I saved for a couple years on the amp. Time to save for the most important sound difference. Speakers. I have read nothing but good about the BMR's. They are a bit harder to drive too, but I don't think that will be a problem.

Dean Kurtz

Dean Kurtz

Full Audioholic
I have stands that work great for the VS 260's, so that's not a problem.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis