Onkyo M-5000R Power Amplifier First Look

sawzalot

sawzalot

Audioholic Samurai
You know what I noticed? This thing won't power an 8 ohm speaker?? Do I see that right?
notice how far apart the spread is for the left and right RCA inputs?? :eek:
Yes it will @ 80 watts per. I like the separation in the RCA jacks no chances for the devastating mishaps when moving things around.

P

PearlcorderS701

Banned
Yes it will @ 80 watts per. I like the separation in the RCA jacks no chances for the devastating mishaps when moving things around.
Oh I see; as for the RCA jacks, I would think there would be more possible mishaps with cables separated that far...

Do you mean as opposed to RCAs that are together down the whole run of the cable, but just a bit separated at the tips, as is usual?

H

HankNova

Audiophyte
This amp is awesome

I suggest trying this onkyo rig for yourself. The reviews on this amp are accurate. it is beautiful and has massive power. I just biamped 2 of the m5000rs and the results are just stunning. They aren't cheap..... but WOW.

B

bnobre69

Audiophyte
Can someone please help, if i can get another m5000p is there anyway to connect them mono with a p3000r? Best regards

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Can someone please help, if i can get another m5000p is there anyway to connect them mono with a p3000r? Best regards
What does the literature say?
XLR mono "Bridge" input enables unit to be run in mono at 180 watts x 1 into 8 ohms

I'd just buy better amp with more power if it were me.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
XLR mono "Bridge" input enables unit to be run in mono at 180 watts x 1 into 8 ohms

Agreed, but it may look so good to someone who would buy it just for that reason.

B

bnobre69

Audiophyte

I have an oportunity to buy another one and that would fullfill my needs..the literature say that you could drive mono troght xlr but the pre p3000r doesn't have xlr outs... It has two pairs of rca outs? Can i convert rca trough xlr? Is it a good solution?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have an oportunity to buy another one and that would fullfill my needs..the literature say that you could drive mono troght xlr but the pre p3000r doesn't have xlr outs... It has two pairs of rca outs? Can i convert rca trough xlr? Is it a good solution?
You can use xlr to rca to accomplish what you need. Without looking up the output spec, I'd assume there would be no problem.

What speakers do you have

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
One thing to double check is often bridging restricts the impedance you can use the amp with.
Check the specs. If the amp is rated for both 4 and 8 ohms, but the rating for bridged operation only speaks of 8 ohms, I would be cautious. Usually the manual will provide such cautions in the section on bridging the amp (or their might be a caution printed on the back of the unit).

B

bnobre69

Audiophyte
You can use xlr to rca to accomplish what you need. Without looking up the output spec, I'd assume there would be no problem.

What speakers do you have
Hi there Everett, i have a pair of tannoy dc10t.

Enviado do meu VOG-L29 através do Tapatalk

B

bnobre69

Audiophyte
One thing to double check is often bridging restricts the impedance you can use the amp with.
Check the specs. If the amp is rated for both 4 and 8 ohms, but the rating for bridged operation only speaks of 8 ohms, I would be cautious. Usually the manual will provide such cautions in the section on bridging the amp (or their might be a caution printed on the back of the unit).
I think it reads 200watts at 4ohm bridged, but i will look for it better and then say something

Enviado do meu VOG-L29 através do Tapatalk

EpsilonZer0

EpsilonZer0

Enthusiast
Its been 10 years since this thing was released and finding one now is pretty difficult. The predecessors, m-504, m-506, and m-509 have nearly doubled in price over the past year on ebay. Which leads me to believe that there is still a market for a big VU amplifier like this, and I think Onkyo pulled the plug too early on the m5000R. Hell, they pulled the plug before they could get the Pre/Pro PR-RZ5100 out. Wasted opportunity....
To the guys that own the M5000R, I would never let it go because it seems highly unlikely Onkyo will ever make a big VU amplifier again.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Its been 10 years since this thing was released and finding one now is pretty difficult. The predecessors, m-504, m-506, and m-509 have nearly doubled in price over the past year on ebay. Which leads me to believe that there is still a market for a big VU amplifier like this, and I think Onkyo pulled the plug too early on the m5000R. Hell, they pulled the plug before they could get the Pre/Pro PR-RZ5100 out. Wasted opportunity....
To the guys that own the M5000R, I would never let it go because it seems highly unlikely Onkyo will ever make a big VU amplifier again.
If it's the VU meters that turns one on, you can just add them altho they may have some issues :) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/douk-vu2-review-vu-meter-input-selector.26574/

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
If it's the VU meters that turns one on, you can just add them altho they may have some issues :) https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/douk-vu2-review-vu-meter-input-selector.26574/
That sent me down a rabbit hole! Long story short, I now have analog vu meters for foobar! Lol

10659126_10204135067592146_7957429096750140267_o.jpg

Mine displays the meters in the lower left corner tho. I'm still tryna figure out how to move underneath the queue like the image...

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I looked at those for a while and glad you linked the review, the distortion is terrible. I guess I should just save my money for a Mcintosh
You may be right, but logically speaking if distortion is the top criteria you should probably go for the Purifi (or even Hypex) based power amps. The best would actually be the Benchmark AHB2 if you don't mind the bridged configuration But of course McIntosh have the much better look for a lot of people and their distortions are excellent too for non class D amps, no where need as good and Benchmark's but still extremely low.

Last edited:
EpsilonZer0

EpsilonZer0

Enthusiast
You may be right, but logically speaker if distortion is the top criteria you should probably go for the Purifi (or even Hypex) based power amps. The best would actually be the Benchmark AHB2 if you don't mind the bridged configuration But of course McIntosh have the much better look for a lot of people and their distortions are excellent too for non class D amps, no where need as good and Benchmark's but still extremely low.
I would not consider myself a distortion nut. My current AB amp does < 0.03 % THD+N at full rated power, 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The Benchmark and Mcintosh are a few orders better than that and better signal to noise but my ear can't tell the difference. But I don't think I want to introduce a ton of distortion to get an external VU. The McIntosh is pretty sexy and so was the old Onkyo m-500 and m-5000r series. I don't know why the feature fell out of favor.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I would not consider myself a distortion nut. My current AB amp does < 0.03 % THD+N at full rated power, 20 Hz to 20 kHz. The Benchmark and Mcintosh are a few orders better than that and better signal to noise but my ear can't tell the difference. But I don't think I want to introduce a ton of distortion to get an external VU. The McIntosh is pretty sexy and so was the old Onkyo m-500 and m-5000r series. I don't know why the feature fell out of favor.
Totally agree on the look and the meters. Digital meters are a good cheap alternative. I have those on my Oppo's.:) Functionally speaking they are not necessary any more if you know your amp has much more headroom than you need.

For those who wants the lowest distortions, JA said the following:

".....The C 298 is one of the lowest-distortion amplifiers I have measured, rivaling the less powerful Benchmark AHB2 that KR reviewed in November 2015......

NAD C 298 power amplifier Measurements | Stereophile.com

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis