Movies that are so bad they're good.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Whatever do you mean, Jaws 4 is a masterpiece. Ellen Brody has a psychic connection with the shark, the shark follows them from New England to the Bahamas and then there is Michael Cain who tried multiple times to crash his plane and kill people.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Amazingly bad. o_O;)

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
Red referenced a perfect SBIG Movie.
View attachment 51343
A friend of mine manages an independent movie theater. We used to order a pizza, go in there, drink free beer and watch movies at midnight. Now, I've got three kids and I wouldn't dream of being out that late. It was great while it lasted.

Miami Connection was probably the best movie we watched. None of us had seen it before. And we were high fiving each other at the end, and singing "friends forever, we'll be together, be on top 'cause we play to win." It's a movie that just makes you feel good.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Anything Ed Wood or Uwe Boll. :)
Now you're talking! Tho a lot of Uwe Bol is just bad-bad, lol.

Ed Wood tho, is arguably the og SBIG filmaker with Plan 9 From Outer Space!

There's a scene in the movie where a cop talks to a couple of people while holding his gun absent mindedly in his hand, and uses it to point at them and flourish with the conversation like it was his finger. It's so cringe I lol'd.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
A friend of mine manages an independent movie theater. We used to order a pizza, go in there, drink free beer and watch movies at midnight. Now, I've got three kids and I wouldn't dream of being out that late. It was great while it lasted.

Miami Connection was probably the best movie we watched. None of us had seen it before. And we were high fiving each other at the end, and singing "friends forever, we'll be together, be on top 'cause we play to win." It's a movie that just makes you feel good.
It's truly uniquely bad, lol. That sounds like it was fun. Samurai Cop is right there too. That stupid Friends Forever song gets stuck in my head forever!

And don't forget "Against The Ninja"!

You know you can buy Dragon Sound (band name for those who don't know) t shirts now? Lol

il_570xN.923257618_m6n1.jpg

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
Now you're talking! Tho a lot of Uwe Bol is just bad-bad, lol.

Ed Wood tho, is arguably the og SBIG filmaker with Plan 9 From Outer Space!

There's a scene in the movie where a cop talks to a couple of people holding his gun absent mindedly in his hand, and uses it to point at them and flourish with the conversation like it was his finger. It's so cringe I lol'd.
Love the scene where people are running and it transitions from day to night. Tim Burton's "Ed Wood" comes highly recommended. Possibly Depp's best role. LOL at the scene where the muscle actor bumps through the prop door and Ed thinks its fine.:)

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
And how could I forget, the Sean Connery masterpiece Zardoz (1974). Directed by John Boorman, who went directly from Deliverance to Zardoz. Amazing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd have to watch it again... I did enjoy it, but film it was not. :p
I think Machete is directly inspired by movies like Samurai Cop and Miami Connection. The difference is that Machete is self aware and a lot of it is shot competently with good effects and stunt work. They intentionally lean right into the ridiculous and revel in the cheese. It really is too good to be so bad it's good. Watch the trailer I posted for Miami Connection! The acting, camera work, the direction, the crappy effects... it's a whole other league of bad. Machete is a multi million dollar masterpiece compared to Miami Connection.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I think Machete is directly inspired by movies like Samurai Cop and Miami Connection. The difference is that Machete is self aware and a lot of it is shot competently with good effects and stunt work. They intentionally lean right into the ridiculous and revel in the cheese. It really is too good to be so bad it's good. Watch the trailer I posted for Miami Connection! The acting, camera work, the direction, the crappy effects... it's a whole other league of bad. Machete is a multi million dollar masterpiece compared to Miami Connection.
Wasn't Machete a spinoff of the Grindhouse movies by Tarantino and Rodriquez? Which I'm surprised those haven't been mentioned as well, although they are almost a parody of the films discussed here.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wasn't Machete a spinoff of the Grindhouse movies by Tarantino and Rodriquez? Which I'm surprised those haven't been mentioned as well, although they are almost a parody of the films discussed here.
Yup! You're exactly right! In fact Rodriguez did direct Machete, in the grindhouse style, and I think it is a parody! It's supposed to be cheesy and over the top. A lot of the movies being suggested in this thread are intentional parodies of actual SBIG movies. That's why I say Machete and some of its peers are to good to count.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Omg... this scene from Miami Connection says it all. Even the music is bad. Just watch the first minute and you'll see why movies like Starship Troopers and Machete aren't even on the same planet, lol.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Unfortunately, @Eppie , I'm with you. It's a shame that Sci Fi and Fantasy are seemingly so difficult to do well. But Event Horizon, Fifth Element, Starship Troopers, and even the original Total Recall (another PV effort) all start falling into that category.
Maybe it's one's ability to recognize a plot hole but not let it ruin the movie for you? I'll admit that it's annoying when a character does something stupidly complex when a more simple solution is right before them, or when a writer uses an implausible solution like hacking an alien space ship computer with a laptop, a la Independence Day. I can shrug it off, though, as a bad choice or lazy writing and still enjoy the rest of the movie. I've watched Fifth Element a dozen times and love the interaction between Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich (who is totally hot in that movie) but I can see how Chris Tucker's and Gary Oldman's characters can push the movie into 'bad' territory.

I might be one of the few that sat all the way through Plan 9 From Outer Space but I think Backaroo Bonzai was just plain bad. :D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
One of the things that Samurai Cop is known for is the wig the lead actor wears for parts of the movie. What happened was they finished the movie, realized they needed to do some reshoots and the lead actor had cut his hair! The solution? Here, wear a wig...

Original:

samurai-cop-10.jpg

Reshoot:

HatSC.jpg

hair.jpg

Can you tell which is which..? Lol.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe it's one's ability to recognize a plot hole but not let it ruin the movie for you? I'll admit that it's annoying when a character does something stupidly complex when a more simple solution is right before them, or when a writer uses an implausible solution like hacking an alien space ship computer with a laptop, a la Independence Day. I can shrug it off, though, as a bad choice or lazy writing and still enjoy the rest of the movie. I've watched Fifth Element a dozen times and love the interaction between Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich (who is totally hot in that movie) but I can see how Chris Tucker's and Gary Oldman's characters can push the movie into 'bad' territory.

I might be one of the few that sat all the way through Plan 9 From Outer Space but I think Backaroo Bonzai was just plain bad. :D
I think a lot of the movies mentioned so far do not fit the criteria for so bad it's good. Watch that last trailer I posted. It's SBIG gold.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay here's the challenge. Watch this scene from Samurai Cop without laughing. They're there to question a suspect when a nurse (like every other female in the movie) hits on the protagonist. The dialogue is so clunky and bad... and ridiculous! I challenge anyone to make it through this minute long scene without at least a snort or chuckle. I'll bet you can't do it!

His partner's reactions and facial expressions in between lines only adds to the ridiculousness. This is the magic of SBIG.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

For the record I'm with you Eppie. I like a lot of those movies too, and I don't think they're necessarily bad. I'm pretty forgiving of occasional potholes or inconsistencies. I don't think everything has to be airtight and perfect to be fun and enjoyable. Chris Tucker was ridiculous, but TFE still has some great acting, great moments, great action and good special effects. It does a lot of things very well. I also think Starship Troopers is a lot smarter than it appears on the surface. It's a satire and I think the story is cool, the plot makes sense, the special effects are really good for the time and the action is over the top and well done.

A true SBIG fails at almost everything. Even the technical aspects. Stuff like out of focus shots, boom mics and camera reflections in shots, bad sound, bad music, bad ADR... and that does exclude a lot of traditionally cheesy, "bad" movies, and the ones that do it on purpose. A lot of the movies mentioned so far are actually shot well and scripted with tongue firmly in cheek.

*PS, I thought Plan 9 was pretty entertaining and falls well within SBIG. There's something done badly in almost every single scene, lol.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
I love the guy, but just about any movie that Tim Thomerson is in, seems to fall in the bad but good movie category. I've only seen bits and pieces of these two movies, Cherry 2000 and Zone Troopers, but they looked campy enough that if you leave your brain at the door, you might enjoy them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis