5.1.2 Speaker placement

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
So, I would like to expand my 5.1 to a 5.1.2 Atmos setup. Currently, the seating position is,unfortunately, against the back wall. Surround speakers are to the L/R but up 7ft.
I would be lowering the Surrounds to ear height. Is it better to add Surround Heights up in the corners above the Surround,, Top Middles up overhead the seating position, or Front Heights facing the listening position above the TV? What would give the best Atmos effect? Denon S series AVR.
Long term goal would be to have both, but new receiver required first...

Thanks!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord

This image is a little generic, but if you you look at the side view, that’s what I would recommend. I don’t always agree that the best place for tops is in line with the mains. It depends on ceiling height and overall system layout. They even say so in some of their own more granular literature.
What is the ceiling height?

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Well, that is the answer I was looking for.
To answer your question, the ceiling is vaulted in on both sides, so the speakers are kinda halfway between surround heights and top middles. I doubt it will make much difference, but I can try both settings on my AVR and see if I notice anything.
Thanks for your time answering. I remember seeing that in the Dolby Atmos Guide some time ago, I didn’t think to check there for their 5.1.2 recommendations.
Appreciated.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
…and I was asking surround heights or top middles because I have flexibility on the vaulted ceilings as to how far in, and thus more overhead I bring them. I can keep them 7’ above the floor and 8’ either side as heights tucked in the corners where the vault starts, or start to slide them up the vaulted ceilings, even until overhead.
if Top middles are recommended over heights, I will slide them up further, closer to overhead.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well, that is the answer I was looking for.
To answer your question, the ceiling is vaulted in on both sides, so the speakers are kinda halfway between surround heights and top middles. I doubt it will make much difference, but I can try both settings on my AVR and see if I notice anything.
Thanks for your time answering. I remember seeing that in the Dolby Atmos Guide some time ago, I didn’t think to check there for their 5.1.2 recommendations.
Appreciated.
FWIW, the guides available on their site are a little generic and don’t get into individual room parameters. Thankfully some of the more informative guides are out there.
Also afaik if only using two height/tops, they all receive the same signal no matter what you set them to. So I doubt you’d be able to tell.

…and I was asking surround heights or top middles because I have flexibility on the vaulted ceilings as to how far in, and thus more overhead I bring them. I can keep them 7’ above the floor and 8’ either side as heights tucked in the corners where the vault starts, or start to slide them up the vaulted ceilings, even until overhead.
if Top middles are recommended over heights, I will slide them up further, closer to overhead.
I’m having trouble envisioning the room, but it sounds like you’d be trying for a top middle, or just in front of too middle position?
Pics? Pics are helpful for old guys like me lol.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
FE6E20EC-E1F7-4BFF-BE0E-220833BF3DD7.jpeg

you can see the current surrounds, up in the corners. I plan to move those up, I can aim them. I will be getting some other speakers as surrounds and place them at ear height below current surrounds.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
View attachment 51314
you can see the current surrounds, up in the corners. I plan to move those up, I can aim them. I will be getting some other speakers as surrounds and place them at ear height below current surrounds.
Seems totally reasonable to me. Moving them up and forward should work good. Curious, how high up were you thinking? It’s hard to just get scale from pictures sometimes, but this is helpful. I think I might go all the way up to where the angled sides meet the flat top.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
It is about 13’ to the top. I am now thinking placement right in the corners where it starts to level off.
It is going to be a bit before I complete this, we are giving the room a makeover this winter. Will run wires then.
thanks again.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I’m thinking something like this?

13’ is pretty high but manageable.
Also, after the old man crack, I realized I’m only 3mo older than you lol.

K

KiterSuperFly

Junior Audioholic
Yes. Something like that. Out from the rear wall a couple feet or so.
…and I am an old man now too…

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis