Having some problems calibrating sub

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I'd go with the phone that gave you the most pleasing response for content generally. I take it your Sony didn't come with a setup mic/routine to use?
Given that the iphone drops all the way to 60 db, and to make it go back to 75, the subwoofer gotta be on house shaking levels, i take the Samsung is probly the better choice, tho, its 80 db felt a bit to anemic personally, and it still gotta go down 5 db, humn, then again, i don't have a good reference point

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I remember seeing one of those puc mics lying around on my grandpa's theater, but idk if that's was for the Sony, or the THX onkyo
What's the receiver again, ES 9000?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Me either but thought I'd check the manual, but don't see any mic that came with it nor any indication of an automated setup routine. Guess DCAC came later.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Me either but thought I'd check the manual, but don't see any mic that came with it nor any indication of an automated setup routine. Guess DCAC came later.
i'll go take a look on my grandpa's theater tomorrow, to see what kind of mic it is

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
either way, does this look adequate, i'm sure it would be if this was a regular sub, but given the strange nature
20211025_214300-min.jpg
that second driver is a bit...
20211025_214317.jpg

and as i said, it boosts certain frequencies, like, the stuff really low there, it resonates all around the room, and sounds like it's trapped behind my head

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It should handle a range of frequencies but you may get some peaks and nulls, just the nature of bass in small/home sized rooms. The speaker stand interface between sub and speaker is uh, interesting....that center speaker buried in the cabinet makes me want to yank it out of there, tho :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you’re in super budget mode, try something like this cheap old solid spl meter.

Phone mics just can’t reliably so low frequency stuff. The mics roll off too early to be useful.

You can see in the graph the frequency response of two totally different phones. If the app developer hasn’t programmed the roll off into the app, it will be even more useless.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Well REW is easy enuf to get, and think there are spl meters it can work with....
YeH I think my ol RS meter can. Before hdmi I made some cables to measure with. Single rca to mic input on a pc tower. It sucked. Had to run 60’ of speaker cable from my av rack in the LR to my bedroom pc cause I was too lazy to pull the pc out into the LR lmao. Also I was using a BFD to EQ my subs. Good times…

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
It should handle a range of frequencies but you may get some peaks and nulls, just the nature of bass in small/home sized rooms. The speaker stand interface between sub and speaker is uh, interesting....that center speaker buried in the cabinet makes me want to yank it out of there, tho :)
That one has a bit of a bad tweater, it's only noticeable with certain frequencies at a reasonably high volume, but I'm not using it, besides, who the truck would be the madlad to put it so low, i stopped using it in the first place cause it felt wrong being bellow the tv

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
something i forgot to ask

if i leave it idle for a while, tit goes to standby, but while in that mode, it continues to hiss, should i always turn it off, or standby is fine

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
something i forgot to ask

if i leave it idle for a while, tit goes to standby, but while in that mode, it continues to hiss, should i always turn it off, or standby is fine
If the hiss bugs you, turn it off. It's always there?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
not really, i can't notice, it unless i'm really close to it, but it worries me it's still sucking considerable power
Doubt standby power is but a handful of watts but certainly off is less :) Haven't had hiss from any of my subs....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Doubt standby power is but a handful of watts but certainly off is less :) Haven't had hiss from any of my subs....
i don't think it's from the sub driver it self, but rather the power circuits, given it's high pitched, then again, it bothers no body

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
i don't think it's from the sub driver it self, but rather the power circuits, given it's high pitched, then again, it bothers no body
Not likely to be the driver particularly, but rather the amp....wonder what frequency it is and why a filter isn't taking care of it....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis