7.1.4 Setup For Around $7.5-9K

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yes. This is truth.
However….@Mark E. Long
He does have 5 Inuke 1000. , a crown XLS1502, two nx6000 and an Inuke6000.
IF I remember it all correctly.
I had to look this stuff up did he build those speakers from kits himself if so that’s very impressive work next level to me anyhow men I’d love to here this rig !

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I had to look this stuff up did he build those speakers from kits himself if so that’s very impressive work next level to me anyhow men I’d love to here this rig !
Yes. He built every speaker in there. The HTM12 come as a flat pack(pre cut boards) but he downloaded the cut sheet and cut his own. Same for the HTM8 surrounds. Volt 10’s are in the ceiling for Atmos. For subs…..I’ll have to go off the top of my head until I can ask him.
Two devastators in the rear corners and the five 15” sub you can see on the front wall. Plus, in the front corners that you can’t see are four, yes for 12jbl tapped horns.
Oh yeah, and a back BOSS. That’s basically two 18” FI sub drivers mounted to a baffle and pushed up against the back of his couch. It makes zero spl and is only for TR(tactile response)
Two words. Fukkin badass.
And. A 135” screen…..

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Yes. He built every speaker in there. The HTM12 come as a flat pack(pre cut boards) but he downloaded the cut sheet and cut his own. Same for the HTM8 surrounds. Volt 10’s are in the ceiling for Atmos. For subs…..I’ll have to go off the top of my head until I can ask him.
Two devastators in the rear corners and the five 15” sub you can see on the front wall. Plus, in the front corners that you can’t see are four, yes for 12jbl tapped horns.
Oh yeah, and a back BOSS. That’s basically two 18” FI sub drivers mounted to a baffle and pushed up against the back of his couch. It makes zero spl and is only for TR(tactile response)
Two words. Fukkin badass.
And. A 135” screen
That’s incredible setup and he definitely put in the time and thought into this . That’s dam good work ! I want to see pics of the whole rig sometime if you can .

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
That would have been great. But sadly he is pairing this system to the 65" A90J that he plans to purchase during BF Sale next month.

But as I said he is gonna move into New home in 2-Years. And at that time (Specially after this crazy experience) he most probably gonna go for dedicated Home Theater setup. That is in addition to this.
Exactly, nice for an HT-only system.

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
Yeah but that's what works for you I can tell you I've tried both. And I prefer the floorstanders and subs vs the bookshelves versus subs. No comparison. But I an empathetic to the fact not everyone can fit get spousal approval or really have a big enough room to justify going that route. So I understand when people go that route. But your almost implying that bookshelves are a better route to go period. Hell no not if the room is big enough or you can get away with it. There is no replacement for the experience of highly capable towers matched with subs I've done both and if my space allows it monster towers and monster subs all day long baby!!!!
I was always a Tower person but got tired of such a large foot print in my family room.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
How does Chane L series stack up against SVS Ultra. Just asking.

Sadly they are not in stock.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Don't worry. We are not pushing SVS Ultra aside. After lot many people recommending us to audition the Speakers in person. We decided to audition and compare SVS and JBL side by side. But only Left and Right Towers. SVS Ultra vs JBL 590.
Who was the winner is svs worth double the price ? As jbl you can get $500-600 each ..
Svs got more bass ?

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
Who was the winner is svs worth double the price ? As jbl you can get $500-600 each ..
Svs got more bass ?
Will let you know after he orders them and tests them out. Probably end of the month or early next month.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
If going up the budget range. Like Klipsch RF-7 III and Paradigm Founder 100F level. What will be the options up there.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I am looking at Arendal Sound 1723 THX Certified.

They were highly rated by James Larson

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If going up the budget range. Like Klipsch RF-7 III and Paradigm Founder 100F level. What will be the options up there.
If the Premiers were already over budget the Founders will break the bank. ;) Seriously good speakers, though. Could always go with Founders up front and a less expensive line for the surrounds. Paradigm tends to voice their speakers similarly and matching back to front isn't critical unless you intend to listen to a lot of 5 channel music. The 3 driver center is good for smaller rooms but for a large room the big center would be preferred (but it's as expensive as the 100F). Pricing on the web is per speaker.

The Arendals are great if you like a very neutral speaker (they measure quite flat) and from the review offer a wide dynamic range. Only internet direct so you can't demo them, but the price for U.S. customers is all in, taxes and shipping included. It's been mentioned in other threads that when paired with a capable sub the Monitors will do the job just fine; don't need to spend extra for the towers. The center is basically the same as the Monitors so you get 3 matched speakers up front. Definitely on my list if I were shopping around.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
If the Premiers were already over budget the Founders will break the bank. ;) Seriously good speakers, though. Could always go with Founders up front and a less expensive line for the surrounds. Paradigm tends to voice their speakers similarly and matching back to front isn't critical unless you intend to listen to a lot of 5 channel music. The 3 driver center is good for smaller rooms but for a large room the big center would be preferred (but it's as expensive as the 100F). Pricing on the web is per speaker.

The Arendals are great if you like a very neutral speaker (they measure quite flat) and from the review offer a wide dynamic range. Only internet direct so you can't demo them, but the price for U.S. customers is all in, taxes and shipping included. It's been mentioned in other threads that when paired with a capable sub the Monitors will do the job just fine; don't need to spend extra for the towers. The center is basically the same as the Monitors so you get 3 matched speakers up front. Definitely on my list if I were shopping around.
Arendals 1723 vs Paradigm Founders. Which should I pick for Movies/Music(50/50)

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Arendals 1723 vs Paradigm Founders. Which should I pick for Movies/Music(50/50)
I'm in the camp that believes that any speaker that is good for music will do just as well for movies as long has you have a proper subwoofer to handle the low frequency effects.

It's not as simple as recommending one brand over another in that class of speaker. They are both reputable brands with a good product. If looking at the 1723 Monitors, they are hard to beat at $2500 US. That's somewhere between the Founder 40B bookshelf and 80F tower in cost. Price wise the Arendal towers are about the same as the Founder 80F which uses a mid-woofer as opposed to the dedicated midrange in the 100F. If your friend is set on towers, the Founder 100F with the 90C center would be an awesome setup but that's $8k just for 3 speakers (retail -- not sure what kind of discount you an get). Compare that to the 1723 Monitors and center for $3750 and the Arendals begin to look pretty attractive. That's why the Paradigm Premier line was recommended. It will get you close to the Founders without breaking the bank.

I'm not going to recommend one over the other because, honestly, I had been considering both the 1723 and the 80F. We finally have the 80F in my town but I have not yet had the time to hear them. While I can not demo the 1723, I'm pretty sure from Shady's review and my taste in speakers that I would like them. It then comes down to personal preferences like design and finishes. The Arendals are gloss black or white. The Premiers also had a wood finish option (Espresso) but it's been discontinued so you have to find existing stock. The Founders in midnight cherry look gorgeous.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
I'm in the camp that believes that any speaker that is good for music will do just as well for movies as long has you have a proper subwoofer to handle the low frequency effects.

It's not as simple as recommending one brand over another in that class of speaker. They are both reputable brands with a good product. If looking at the 1723 Monitors, they are hard to beat at $2500 US. That's somewhere between the Founder 40B bookshelf and 80F tower in cost. Price wise the Arendal towers are about the same as the Founder 80F which uses a mid-woofer as opposed to the dedicated midrange in the 100F. If your friend is set on towers, the Founder 100F with the 90C center would be an awesome setup but that's $8k just for 3 speakers (retail -- not sure what kind of discount you an get). Compare that to the 1723 Monitors and center for $3750 and the Arendals begin to look pretty attractive. That's why the Paradigm Premier line was recommended. It will get you close to the Founders without breaking the bank.

I'm not going to recommend one over the other because, honestly, I had been considering both the 1723 and the 80F. We finally have the 80F in my town but I have not yet had the time to hear them. While I can not demo the 1723, I'm pretty sure from Shady's review and my taste in speakers that I would like them. It then comes down to personal preferences like design and finishes. The Arendals are gloss black or white. The Premiers also had a wood finish option (Espresso) but it's been discontinued so you have to find existing stock. The Founders in midnight cherry look gorgeous.
Based on Audioholics Ratings of Premier series and 1723. 1723 clearly is superior that too by a decent margin. But if you are saying that Premier is close to representing Founder Series then that puts Founder Series down. So is it true that Founder series is similar to Premier series and not the Persona series.

Because see if Founders series takes what is good from Premiers and Mixes it with what is good in Persona and improves greatly over Premier only then I would even consider Paradigm as an option. Because from what review I read and ratings on Audioholics review 1723 is clearly superior that too by a decent margin across the line.

And I am only saying that based on Reviews and Ratings found online.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic

And Please if you manage to test that 80F in the coming few weeks. Please can you share your experience here. And hoping that you already have experience with at-least Premier if not Persona please can you give a bit more details of how much of an improvement it is over Premier series.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
And Please if you manage to test that 80F in the coming few weeks. Please can you share your experience here. And hoping that you already have experience with at-least Premier if not Persona please can you give a bit more details of how much of an improvement it is over Premier series.
That's so subjective tho. What might be a major improvement to you could be minor to Eppie or vice versa. At the level of speakers you're looking at they probably have more in common than not and could come down to splitting hairs.

The good news is I don't think there's a "bad" choice here either way. I just re-read shady's review of the Arendal THX monitors and I gotta say they do look very impressive. I'm leaning toward those.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
See what I am kinda worried is that. Paradigm may be exceptional for Music but if it is lacking in off axis performance or imaging or having wide Soundstage in comparison to Arendal. All those matter for Movies much more than music. While music may get away with superior detail and clarity. I am unable to decide which is a worthy trade-off.

That is why I am trying to figure out if
Case 1: Aredal is much closer to Paradigm in detail and clarity While being superior in everything else.
Case 2: Paradigm is much closer to or as good as Arendal in imaging and having wide Soundstage and good off axis performance while being much better in detail and clarity department.

KING DRANZER

KING DRANZER

Audioholic
That's so subjective tho. What might be a major improvement to you could be minor to Eppie or vice versa. At the level of speakers you're looking at they probably have more in common than not and could come down to splitting hairs.

The good news is I don't think there's a "bad" choice here either way. I just re-read shady's review of the Arendal THX monitors and I gotta say they do look very impressive. I'm leaning toward those.
I can easily pick Arendal 1723 over Paradigm Premier line. But not knowing how much of an improvement Founder series is over it how superior they sound I am unable to decide.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I can easily pick Arendal 1723 over Paradigm Premier line. But not knowing how much of an improvement Founder series is over it how superior they sound I am unable to decide.
Few people in the world will have had the chance to closely compare the Founders speakers to the Arendal speakers. No one can tell you what you will like better. And just because one is more expensive than the other does not make it better. If I were you, I would flip a coin between them.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis