Advice on an addition of a preamp

D

drfrost

Audiophyte
I have a Yamaha TSR 700. I need some advice on what kind of preamp I should get. Kind of on a budget but something decent to run a pair of XLS-215 Cerwin Vegas?? I've seen a lot of stuff on eBay and Amazon as I am new to this I'm just really not sure. Thanks for any advice...

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's an avr, which is a combination in one box of a pre-amp, amp and tuner/internet access....it's fine on its own.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I think they are looking for a two channel amp to connect to the Yamaha’s front pre outs. Those Vegas have four fifteen inch woofers between them and are just asking to be cranked up.;)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think they are looking for a two channel amp to connect to the Yamaha’s front pre outs. Those Vegas has four fifteen inch woofers between them and are just asking to be cranked up.;)
I seem to remember another post by OP that was going that direction. Guess he meant does the Yamaha have pre-outs for an external power amp.....

D

drfrost

Audiophyte
That's an avr, which is a combination in one box of a pre-amp, amp and tuner/internet access....it's fine on its own.
I should have put more information up to start with. Sorry about that. The problem is I am already running a lot of big stuff. At the moment I can't afford a 9.2 or an 11.2 and up/ Don't want to compensate with something cheap for my main unit. Actually in the process of moving to my grandpa's place that I inherited. Once I am fully there I will have a lot more questions but for now I need some advice on something decent To push those Cerwin Vegas?? Thank's Is any advice you can give...

D

drfrost

Audiophyte
I should have put more information up to start with. Sorry about that. The problem is I am already running a lot of big stuff. At the moment I can't afford a 9.2 or an 11.2 and up/ Don't want to compensate with something cheap for my main unit. Actually in the process of moving to my grandpa's place that I inherited. Once I am fully there I will have a lot more questions but for now I need some advice on something decent To push those Cerwin Vegas?? Thank's Is any advice you can give...

D

drfrost

Audiophyte
I'm looking for something I can hook up to the unit I already have. Something with more power to push a few more speakers when I'm listening to music Specifically. I am running some big Klipsch and Polk Audio for home theater. The Yamaha doesn't cut it power wise! With an extra power unit I will be able to control the volume of everything better. I also have other than just the Cerwin Vegas for music specific speakers KLH. Basically what I am trying to get at is we like extremely loud rock the neighborhood Music. That's why purchased those speakers. The quality to cost is unbeatable in my opinion. Thought about leaning toward the DJ equipment thing years ago and decided that was not for me/ sound quality. Would rather invest money into home entertainment. I do host quite a bit of different events on a regular basis. Block parties, Game days, Monthly get together's exc. Really looking for advice on what to go with for now that I can hook up to my Yamaha for more power to really push those bigger speakers. My Yamaha just can't produce the crazy Concert like sound that I'm looking for. I hope this was enough for you to understand what I'm trying to get at?? If you can hear it more than 2 blocks away we're going in the right direction. Thank you for continuing to respond and I hope this was enough enough information to give you an idea of what I'm looking at

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm looking for something I can hook up to the unit I already have. Something with more power to push a few more speakers when I'm listening to music Specifically. I am running some big Klipsch and Polk Audio for home theater. The Yamaha doesn't cut it power wise! With an extra power unit I will be able to control the volume of everything better. I also have other than just the Cerwin Vegas for music specific speakers KLH. Basically what I am trying to get at is we like extremely loud rock the neighborhood Music. That's why purchased those speakers. The quality to cost is unbeatable in my opinion. Thought about leaning toward the DJ equipment thing years ago and decided that was not for me/ sound quality. Would rather invest money into home entertainment. I do host quite a bit of different events on a regular basis. Block parties, Game days, Monthly get together's exc. Really looking for advice on what to go with for now that I can hook up to my Yamaha for more power to really push those bigger speakers. My Yamaha just can't produce the crazy Concert like sound that I'm looking for. I hope this was enough for you to understand what I'm trying to get at?? If you can hear it more than 2 blocks away we're going in the right direction. Thank you for continuing to respond and I hope this was enough enough information to give you an idea of what I'm looking at
You need pro gear if you're trying to rock the whole neighborhood. Period. Home audio just isn't made to reproduce sound at those extreme levels. It does look like you have preouts for the main speakers along with subwoofer preouts so there's a start.

Now your receiver claims 100 wpc, which isn't bad to start with. The problem is you need to double your power for a mere 3 dB increase in volume. So for you, a 200 watt amp would give you a 3 dB gain. Check out this spl calculator to get an idea of the relation between power and volume.

Bottom line, I think you're gonna need more than 200 wpc for a significant increase in volume. That's MINIMUM 200 watts, and at that only a 3 dB gain. I think you need to rethink everything to hit your goals.

What you need are very sensitive speakers and gobs of power, and that just doesn't come cheap. Especially with home audio. This is where pro gear comes in. I don't know where or what you heard about sound quality, but there are lots of options for high quality pro gear. From what you describe that's where you should be looking.

Now, I'm still confused as to what you're trying to do here. You mention multiple sets of speakers. How are you using them? Like a 5.1 setup for movies? 7.1? Subwoofer? Strictly music? Or home theater also? What all speakers do you have and how are you planning to hook them all up?

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Robust amps can be costly. The Yamaha has just Front Channel Pre Outs, other than subs, so keep the rockin’ to those channels after connecting an amp to it.
View attachment 50488
I don't think even a Monolith is gonna give op the increase in performance he's looking for. He needs higher sensitivity speakers and gobs of power to rock the whole neighborhood. Maybe something THX certified like Monoprice's ht line.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I hear you, and I put that one up there just to give an idea of the cost at a minimum. Those Vegas aren’t exactly efficient and that Yamaha is not up to the task. The amp I posted will do the job in the house, but a pro setup is better suited for block parties and such.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I hear you, and I put that one up there just to give an idea of the cost at a minimum. Those Vegas aren’t exactly efficient and that Yamaha is not up to the task. The amp I posted will do the job in the house, but a pro setup is better suited for block parties and such.
95 dB sensitivity, 6 ohms. Even if that's optimistic, say they're only 90 dB that's still pretty sensitive.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Good for folks in the back of the room, but not for those at the end of the block.;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Good for folks in the back of the room, but not for those at the end of the block.;)
Yeah, a doubling of power should take care of any indoor listening, but rocking the block is a whole 'nother animal. We're talking 500+ wpc, and very robust and sensitive speakers.

I

IansDad88(Don)

Audioholic
Maybe I'm reading wrong also but isn't the OP simply trying to iso his mains on a different amp for 2 channel listening? In this case isn't it perfectly acceptable to add a 2 channel amp on the mains pre outs. I get that he isn't necessarily looking to add more surround speakers, or even go crazy loud trying to spend big cash for the 3db... But just wants a better amp to drive the Cerwin Vega beefcake..?

If his Yamaha isn't up to his sound preferences on 2ch music, isn't this the prescribed remedy? I guess I'm curious because I have a similar idea and thought process. I have an AVR and for some reason the 2ch just doesn't sound right sometimes.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Maybe I'm reading wrong also but isn't the OP simply trying to iso his mains on a different amp for 2 channel listening? In this case isn't it perfectly acceptable to add a 2 channel amp on the mains pre outs. I get that he isn't necessarily looking to add more surround speakers, or even go crazy loud trying to spend big cash for the 3db... But just wants a better amp to drive the Cerwin Vega beefcake..?

If his Yamaha isn't up to his sound preferences on 2ch music, isn't this the prescribed remedy? I guess I'm curious because I have a similar idea and thought process. I have an AVR and for some reason the 2ch just doesn't sound right sometimes.
He is looking to literally rock the entire neighborhood. That's a huge task and will require poop-ton of power

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'd like to have an idea of what drfrost's budget is? You can get the required power in the home audio market from some manufacturer's like Starke or Cherry but we're talking several thousands of dollars for one amp.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja

Yes, that is what I thought as well and why I recommended the Monoprice two channel amp. I don't think there will be any issue with volume running the Vegas with that amp in the house. But, blasting outside and being heard from two blocks away is another issue. I'm not sure about the other speakers in use or the volume levels set for surround sound listening, but having had a TSR-700 and currently an RX-V6A, I can tell you listening for hours on end at higher volumes makes these little guys very hot. That's why my Yamaha is currently resting and the Onkyo is online.;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
His issue is volume, not so much sound preference. He needs a lot more power for high outdoor spl.

What exactly do you mean by doesn't sound right "sometimes"? Like how? An external amp can help if you're clipping and not reaching the volumes you like but it won't fix "doesn't sound right sometimes" unless the "sometimes" is you hitting your receiver's limits. If it's a sound quality issue then you need to look to the room, eq or speakers, not amplification.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis