In-wall/ceiling Klipsch PRO RP vs Focal 100 series.

A

aayushm72

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between in-wall/ceiling speakers between Klipsch and Focal for my new 7.1.4 dedicated home theater. I have the following configurations in mind and would like to know what you guys think:

Klipsch PRO-RP
  • LCR - PRO-250RPW (behind Seymour AT screen)
  • Surrounds - PRO-160RPW
  • Height - PRO-160RPC
Sub - SVS PB-2000PRO

OR

Focal 100 series
  • LCR - 100IWLCR5 (behind Seymour AT screen)
  • Surrounds - 100IW6
  • Height - 100ICW6
Sub - SVS PB-2000PRO

My room is about 13' x 18' x 8' and I plan to be using a Yamaha or Denon 11.2 receiver to power these speakers (Yamaha A8A or the Denon AVR-X6700H).

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between in-wall/ceiling speakers between Klipsch and Focal for my new 7.1.4 dedicated home theater. I have the following configurations in mind and would like to know what you guys think:

Klipsch PRO-RP
  • LCR - PRO-250RPW (behind Seymour AT screen)
  • Surrounds - PRO-160RPW
  • Height - PRO-160RPC
Sub - SVS PB-2000PRO

OR

Focal 100 series
  • LCR - 100IWLCR5 (behind Seymour AT screen)
  • Surrounds - 100IW6
  • Height - 100ICW6
Sub - SVS PB-2000PRO

My room is about 13' x 18' x 8' and I plan to be using a Yamaha or Denon 11.2 receiver to power these speakers (Yamaha A8A or the Denon AVR-X6700H).
I don't what speakers but I have the PB-2000 Pro and it's excellent. I love it so that's a good choice in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

A

aayushm72

Audiophyte
I don't what speakers but I have the PB-2000 Pro and it's excellent. I love it so that's a good choice in my opinion.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
It's always good to have your choice reinforced! Thanks for the input!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
If this is primarily for your enjoyment, one sub can be sufficient, but if multiple seating then two subs are preferred to eliminate uneven response between seating positions. Several articles and Youtube videos from Audioholics on the benefits of multi-sub. SVS is a good choice (I have the SB-2000Pro).

As to your speakers, both are good lines so it really comes down to personal preference. Are you able to listen to either of these lines or buying on research and recommendations? In-walls can be hard to demo, but you might be able to find a store that carries bookshelves from Focal and Klipsch. I don't have direct experience with those in-walls, but the horns in the Klipsch give them a high efficiency rating that require less power to produce the same volume, but they will have a different sound signature compared to the Focals. Klipsch are sometimes described as being hot or on the bright side, while the Focals tend to be more flat or neutral. Might be worth trying to find some measurements to compare the two if you are having trouble deciding.

A

aayushm72

Audiophyte
If this is primarily for your enjoyment, one sub can be sufficient, but if multiple seating then two subs are preferred to eliminate uneven response between seating positions. Several articles and Youtube videos from Audioholics on the benefits of multi-sub. SVS is a good choice (I have the SB-2000Pro).

As to your speakers, both are good lines so it really comes down to personal preference. Are you able to listen to either of these lines or buying on research and recommendations? In-walls can be hard to demo, but you might be able to find a store that carries bookshelves from Focal and Klipsch. I don't have direct experience with those in-walls, but the horns in the Klipsch give them a high efficiency rating that require less power to produce the same volume, but they will have a different sound signature compared to the Focals. Klipsch are sometimes described as being hot or on the bright side, while the Focals tend to be more flat or neutral. Might be worth trying to find some measurements to compare the two if you are having trouble deciding.
Thanks for the feedback! I am definitely going to consider adding a second sub in the future! Maybe I'll grab another PB-2000Pro some time later and get them dialed in to get a great experience in all seats.

I have listened to the Klipsch The Fives Powered speakers and I was mighty impressed by them, have not heard any Focal but I do think there might be a dealer here in Vancouver where I might be able to demo them as you suggested. I guess I am worried about if an AVR alone will be able to power all 11 channels enough if I go with Focal or Paradigm (Klipsch should be no problem though I think). I see you are rocking some Paradigm and there is one other possibility I could go for in my theater since they are based in Canada:

Paradigm CI PRO series
  • LCR - CI PRO P1-LCR (behind Seymour AT screen)
  • Surrounds - CI PRO P65-IW
  • Height - CI PRO P65-R
Sub - SVS PB-2000PRO

What do you think about that?

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the feedback! I am definitely going to consider adding a second sub in the future! Maybe I'll grab another PB-2000Pro some time later and get them dialed in to get a great experience in all seats.

I have listened to the Klipsch The Fives Powered speakers and I was mighty impressed by them, have not heard any Focal but I do think there might be a dealer here in Vancouver where I might be able to demo them as you suggested. I guess I am worried about if an AVR alone will be able to power all 11 channels enough if I go with Focal or Paradigm (Klipsch should be no problem though I think). I see you are rocking some Paradigm and there is one other possibility I could go for in my theater since they are based in Canada:

Paradigm CI PRO series
  • LCR - CI PRO P1-LCR (behind Seymour AT screen)
  • Surrounds - CI PRO P65-IW
  • Height - CI PRO P65-R
Sub - SVS PB-2000PRO

What do you think about that?
Also a very nice in-wall. I like that the box for the LCR is integrated ensuring that it is properly tuned to the woofers. While not as efficient as the Klipsch, they are still a respectable 89dB-92dB efficiency. The receivers you are looking at have 140-150 watts/ch so I don't think you'll be lacking for power. If you want more dynamic range available, both receivers have pre-outs so that you could add, say, a 3 channel power amp to drive the front LCR, so you have room for expansion later. FYI it takes double the power to increase volume by 3dB so you would need to some serious amplification to outperform those receivers.

It's a little harder to find reviews or measurements for in-walls. All 3 are reputable manufacturers so it comes down to personal preference. Sonically I think the Paradigm CI-Pro will fall around the Premier line which is a well regarded speaker line. If you can't demo the in-walls I would try and find a dealer who carries bookshelves from those manufacturers and see which sound profile you like.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis