What has Gillette done?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
~Around the 5 minute mark this guy gets down to the nitty gritty: Mach 3 Turbo.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I went from a Mach 3 to a Mach 3 Turbo and felt that shlipperiness first hand. Thing works piss-ah as they say around here. The last time I used shaving cream it gave me a rash ... like 10 years ago. I got a weak beard so once a week in the shower or just after works. This fancy facial cleanser I got my hands on works best of all as a lube but that probably wouldn't work on all your guys' orc hair. :D
Gillette has simplified the brand’s previously expansive lineup, with just two blade versions in 2019: the standard Mach3 and the slightly pricier Mach3 Turbo. The handles are cosmetically different but functionally the same: The difference is—at least on paper—in the blades. According to Gillette, the Turbo blades are better at fighting irritation and have a more advanced lubricating strip. However, Gillette’s website says that both products have the same blade quality—and in our preliminary tests, we didn’t see or feel any difference between the two.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
@Alex2507 and @BoredSysAdmin

Thanks for the tips about the Mach 3 vs. the Mach 3 Turbo. That video actually had some useful content – even though the guy shaved his neck by going UP :eek:. I always shave my neck going down, with the grain, never against the grain. That may work for him, but I've tried it that way, and will never ever do that again. It reinforces my idea that there are many different beards out there.

I'll consider both types of razors, with a slight edge going to the Mach 3 Turbo.

Dumb question: Are the Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades compatible with only one type of handle, or both? At this point, I think I like the M3T blades better (based on the video), but it isn't clear if these blades require a M3T handle or if they also work on a M3 handle.

@BoredSysAdmin the Amazon link you provided for the Mach3 illustrates the problem with Gillette products. It says:
Currently unavailable
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock.​

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
@Alex2507 and @BoredSysAdmin

Thanks for the tips about the Mach 3 vs. the Mach 3 Turbo. That video actually had some useful content – even though the guy shaved his neck by going UP :eek:. I always shave my neck going down, with the grain, never against the grain. That may work for him, but I've tried it that way, and will never ever do that again. It reinforces my idea that there are many different beards out there.
You could start with shaving downwards and for the finish shave upwards ;)

1631908940847.png

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Gillette’s website says that both products have the same blade quality—and in our preliminary tests, we didn’t see or feel any difference between the two.
Blade quality wouldn't address a coating on the blade. I did an actual comparison (my preliminary test) and I was happy to step up to the Turbo. Again, I shave once a week. I might have been fooled but the Turbo handle does have a nice heft and the Turbo blades needed less pull. Decreased wind resistance in the Turbo polymer ... :D

Are the Mach 3 and Mach 3 Turbo blades compatible with only one type of handle,
Pretty sure the blades will go on either handle but ... Turbo. Store the razor in the little plastic holder to help it dry and to keep it from getting banged up. I mean a once a week shaver shouldn't have much voice but consider that I 99% of the time just use water for wetness. Plus money isn't a factor when it's only once a week.

YMMV Yada, yada

L

Limadelta

Audiophyte
Learn to use a safety razor; old school I know, but I have several and once mastered these things work the best. Blackland makes a fine stainless Blackbird razor that looks, feels and works well.

Replacement blades can be bought for anywhere from $0.08 to $0.25 and are good for between 4-10 shaves per blade. Old school is very satisfying.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Last winter I returned to my roots and couldn't be more pleased, double edge safety razor.

my choice of blades .....

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
A few years ago I got a free Schick Quattro handle and bought 32 Quatro Titanium blades from ebay at about $1.5/each. If I shave about every 2-3 days it's fine but a week-long hair typically gets stuck between the blades and I have to wipe it on a paper towel to clean it - water rinsing doesn't work. With the new blade, the shaving quality seems fine to me.
The last piece of advice, or at least my method is I use a very hot wet towel to warm the face before shaving, and cold water to rinse it after. I use this shaving gel since I've started shaving about 25 years ago:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I get razors and motor oil at Walmart.

Straight razors are the ultimate. I don't know how I don't have one yet. Every so often I start reading up on them but get turned off at the high prices and my low understanding of metallurgy.

I just got through sharpening the sh!t out of my knife. 3 stones, a hone and stropping. It shaves but not my neck.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm holding out for the Turbo Vita Prep Blender!
knowing, on a professional evel, how well a VitaPrep does...
DO NOT jump face first into a turbo version.

(Without first sending me your Salk Speakers.) :)

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I mean a once a week shaver shouldn't have much voice but consider that I 99% of the time just use water for wetness.
Wetness is another important subject. That guy in the video spoke briefly about it but didn't really address it.

You obviously have an elf beard, not an orc beard like I have. Lots of differences. My beard is both heavy and coarse – lots of hairs – each hair is thick & coarse. When I was young and had a beard, it was black and heavy, like ZZ Top if they went undercover as rabbis. Now my beard is all white, still thick, but not quite as coarse as it was. It's like an Eastern European version of a Santa Claus beard, a Santa Clauswitz beard.

Wetness is the key to prepping those coarse beard hairs for a smooth shave. Wetness is also the key to being able to shave again the next morning without pain or blood. I noticed the video guy used a shaving brush, but only put shaving cream directly on it – dry – no added water. I first wash my face with soap, water, using a natural boar bristle brush like this. It's stiff when dry, but softens in 5-10 seconds when wet. After scrubbing, I rinse off the soap with a wet wash cloth.

Next, I put some shaving cream on my hand and mix in hot water, enough water to thin the shaving cream, but not make it so thin that it runs down on my face. I cover my beard with the watered down shaving cream, and wait about 3 minutes. The added water and the waiting time are both critical. It allows my beard hairs to absorb enough water to become noticeably softer as I shave. If I do this, the blade glides easily over my beard. If I skip the wait, my beard hairs tug on the blade, and I have to pull harder to shave.

I have found that it doesn't matter at all what brand of shaving cream I use, as long as I add water and give it enough time on my face before shaving. I also found that this wetting routine allows my razor blades stay sharp for significantly longer.

That's been my experience over many years of shaving. Wetting the beard hairs thoroughly matters more than the brand of shaving cream or razor. On everything else, YMMV. People will have their preferences for different fragrances in shaving cream, different types of razors or washing brushes, etc.

Last edited:
panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
See, this is why I just use a beard trimmer to trim down to stubble.

Granted, I used to use the Mach 3 and Turbo variants and destroyed blades too fast. For the price it wasn't worth it to me to only be able to shave 3 times before the blades were trash. Having a 5-o-clock shadow at noon didn't help either.

I don't think I've clean shaven in over a decade.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
See, this is why I just use a beard trimmer to trim down to stubble.

Granted, I used to use the Mach 3 and Turbo variants and destroyed blades too fast. For the price it wasn't worth it to me to only be able to shave 3 times before the blades were trash. Having a 5-o-clock shadow at noon didn't help either.

I don't think I've clean shaven in over a decade.
Since I retired, I went from shaving every day to once a week. It's too long to simply wet shave, so I first use an electric beard trimmer, like you do. But if I shave at all, I still like the clean feeling that I get only from wet shaving.

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
agreed on the not shaving every day, being retired it's even easier, though every other day is my routine. Except my upper lip, I've maintained a mustache since my high school graduation 50 years ago !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis