What has Gillette done?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
agreed on the not shaving every day, being retired it's even easier, though every other day is my routine. Except my upper lip, I've maintained a mustache since my high school graduation 50 years ago !
Ron Jeremy?

:p

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
about 30 years ago I grew a handlebar, like Dennis Gage, it took many months but couldn't stand the maintenance so off it came

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
agreed on the not shaving every day, being retired it's even easier, though every other day is my routine. Except my upper lip, I've maintained a mustache since my high school graduation 50 years ago !
Same with my Dad. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree whole heartedly in the futility of shaving with an electric razor. I tried my father-inlaw once and it gave me the worst razor burn and case of in grown hairs ever. Ive been using the Gillette fusion with the 5 blade cartridges. They are expensive but they work so well for me. I shave every 2nd day and the cartridge lasts me a month.

H

Hobbit

Senior Audioholic
So what does an old wet-shaving fan do? I don't much like the idea of switching to one of Gillette's newer 3 blade or 5 blade razors. Five blades! Seriously? I'
I've been using the Fusion5 for a long time now. I thought 5 was ridiculous too. However, I found them to be smoother than anything I've ever used. I also found the blades last quite a bit longer than the Gillette 3 bladers I was previously using. This offset the cost difference.

Just saying, and YMMV;)

On the aside, I've never found an electric that I'm happy with. It seemed to take just as long. Worse if you missed a day or two. So much so I would just use wet, as you call it.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I agree whole heartedly in the futility of shaving with an electric razor. I tried my father-inlaw once and it gave me the worst razor burn and case of in grown hairs ever. Ive been using the Gillette fusion with the 5 blade cartridges. They are expensive but they work so well for me. I shave every 2nd day and the cartridge lasts me a month.
I use the same blades, but the steel is poorer since Proctor and Gamble took over, and the blade life was reduced by about 60% in my view.

However the secret to a good shave is a good saving soap in a bowl and above all a large pure badger hair shaving brush. The Kent shaving brush made in my home county of Kent UK, gives the best shave in the world.

L

Limadelta

Audiophyte
Last winter I returned to my roots and couldn't be more pleased, double edge safety razor.

my choice of blades .....

Good call on using Feather blades. My favorite in a couple of my razors.

L

Limadelta

Audiophyte
I use the same blades, but the steel is poorer since Proctor and Gamble took over, and the blade life was reduced by about 60% in my view.

However the secret to a good shave is a good saving soap in a bowl and above all a large pure badger hair shaving brush. The Kent shaving brush made in my home county of Kent UK, gives the best shave in the world.
The Kent brush was a very soft brush for me. I prefer some of the Paladin brushes because they are just a tad bit stiffer and easier to use in a scuttle

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I looked at their web page, and to me it looks like P&G's marketing MBAs have run amok with Gillette. There are way too many different shaving creams and lotions. How can they be different? I think they're trying to flood the shelves in stores with their products, at the expense of their competitors.

The Sensor 3 is a disposable razor – good if you travel – or have lots of girlfriends. I may have to suck it up and try a Mach 3 razor. But the 5 blade Pro Glide is unthinkable. "Pro Glide", really? The last I checked, no one ever paid me to shave. I'm strictly an amateur shaver.
I always wait till CVS has the 40 or 50% off coupon and then buy blades.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Agreed with electric razors being a no go. They pull more than they cut. They are good for trimming when using the trim blade though. I've been using dollar tree Barbasol disposables and they are fine for me if I don't use them too long.

MaxInValrico

MaxInValrico

Senior Audioholic
Today's rant is on the subject of razor blades. I'm talking strictly about wet shaving. If you shave electric and like it, no need to read further.

Personally, I like wet shaving, and have done that ever since 1971. As a teenager, I shaved with an electric razor and hated it. I had a heavy beard, was shaving everyday by age 15, but was too inexperienced to know anything else. Once I started wet shaving and got used to it (Yes, there is a learning curve!) I realized it was much better.

I used Gillette razors exclusively. They were cheap and easy to find. At first, I used the Gillette Techmatic razor, and liked it. For those not familiar, there was a replaceable cartridge head with a long razor blade band inside. Rotate the handle on the back, and you've got a fresh razor blade. At first they had the equivalent of 5 fresh blades, and later had 10. I liked the flexibility of that razor band.
View attachment 50368 View attachment 50366

Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, Gillette phased the Techmatic out, replacing it with the newer Track Two razor. When I couldn't get them anymore, I reluctantly tossed out the Techmatic handle and got a Track Two handle. I didn't like it as much because the razor head/handle assembly was rigid. But, I eventually got used to it. Shaving is definitely a matter of getting used to the tool in your hand.

Time went on, and Gillette did the same thing with the Track Two, replacing it with the Sensor handle. The Sensor, and later the Sensor Excel had the advantage of a razor head that rocked (swiveled?) a bit as you shaved. It provided some of the flexibility I had liked with the old Techmatic.

Time continued to march on. Gillette, formerly an independent shaving company was bought by Procter & Gamble, a large soap, cosmetics, and consumer products company. Prices went up, and too many new razor and shaving cream products appeared. It was confusing trying to learn what was what.

Sometime in the last year or two, I wasn't paying attention, Proctor & Gamble phased out the Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel razor handles and replacement blades. The most recent blades I bought were unusable, so bad in quality that I tossed the first razor of the 10-pack, trying the 2nd and 3rd. They were all no good. I had to throw out the entire package. The package said it was Gillette, but the blades obviously looked different from the older blades I had known for many years, and they were obviously poor at shaving. It would have been better if Gillette stopped selling it's older line of blades. Instead they sold poor quality, imitation junk. Can I trust any Gillette product?

So what does an old wet-shaving fan do? I don't much like the idea of switching to one of Gillette's newer 3 blade or 5 blade razors. Five blades! Seriously? I'm pretty sure I don't want or need a razor with more than 2 blades. There are new brands sold only through the internet, but I have to wonder the same about them as I now do for Gillette – are they any good?
Gillette makes money selling razor blades and shaving cream I have had the same Sensor razor since the early 80s and blades are still available but getting harder and harder to find. Also have the Mach 5 and it's not a bad razor but it is different and th blades are far more costly.

I ditched shaving cream about 10 years ago because I simply ran out and had to adapt so I used my wife's Camay facial soap which was there and found that it actually works pretty damn good for me and lasts way longer than a can of Edge. I can recall my father and grandfathers shaving with soap when I was a youngster so I stuck with the Camay since then.

Don't know if it'll work for anyone with a heavy beard but if it does, you'll save a chunk of change using it.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I do use an electric most of the time. I grew a beard to minimize shaving, which I never cared for in the first place. I do have a very nice, heavy, old school razor that uses standard razor blades.....a disposable razor is such a waste of resources plus I never liked using them.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

For a $270 brush I think I'll stick with using my hand and apply with circular motions. ;)

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
I used to use Sensor when it first came out. Our Sam's Club membership was handy because I could load up with blades for a cheap per-unit price.

Been using Dollar Shave for the past few years though. Thanks for the heads up about Dorco! I'll let my wife know about that... she can save some money on refills!

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Today's rant is on the subject of razor blades. I'm talking strictly about wet shaving. If you shave electric and like it, no need to read further.

Personally, I like wet shaving, and have done that ever since 1971. As a teenager, I shaved with an electric razor and hated it. I had a heavy beard, was shaving everyday by age 15, but was too inexperienced to know anything else. Once I started wet shaving and got used to it (Yes, there is a learning curve!) I realized it was much better.

I used Gillette razors exclusively. They were cheap and easy to find. At first, I used the Gillette Techmatic razor, and liked it. For those not familiar, there was a replaceable cartridge head with a long razor blade band inside. Rotate the handle on the back, and you've got a fresh razor blade. At first they had the equivalent of 5 fresh blades, and later had 10. I liked the flexibility of that razor band.
View attachment 50368 View attachment 50366

Sometime in the late 70s or early 80s, Gillette phased the Techmatic out, replacing it with the newer Track Two razor. When I couldn't get them anymore, I reluctantly tossed out the Techmatic handle and got a Track Two handle. I didn't like it as much because the razor head/handle assembly was rigid. But, I eventually got used to it. Shaving is definitely a matter of getting used to the tool in your hand.

Time went on, and Gillette did the same thing with the Track Two, replacing it with the Sensor handle. The Sensor, and later the Sensor Excel had the advantage of a razor head that rocked (swiveled?) a bit as you shaved. It provided some of the flexibility I had liked with the old Techmatic.

Time continued to march on. Gillette, formerly an independent shaving company was bought by Procter & Gamble, a large soap, cosmetics, and consumer products company. Prices went up, and too many new razor and shaving cream products appeared. It was confusing trying to learn what was what.

Sometime in the last year or two, I wasn't paying attention, Proctor & Gamble phased out the Gillette Sensor and Sensor Excel razor handles and replacement blades. The most recent blades I bought were unusable, so bad in quality that I tossed the first razor of the 10-pack, trying the 2nd and 3rd. They were all no good. I had to throw out the entire package. The package said it was Gillette, but the blades obviously looked different from the older blades I had known for many years, and they were obviously poor at shaving. It would have been better if Gillette stopped selling it's older line of blades. Instead they sold poor quality, imitation junk. Can I trust any Gillette product?

So what does an old wet-shaving fan do? I don't much like the idea of switching to one of Gillette's newer 3 blade or 5 blade razors. Five blades! Seriously? I'm pretty sure I don't want or need a razor with more than 2 blades. There are new brands sold only through the internet, but I have to wonder the same about them as I now do for Gillette – are they any good?
WalMart has cheap four packs of razors that are similar enough to the Sensor that it may have been the cause of Gillette discontinuing them. I think they're $4. I don't like disposable items, but they are a good alternative to spending $25 on a ten pack.

Kvn_Walker

Kvn_Walker

Audioholic Field Marshall
Of course no shaving thread can be complete without...

ETzkv6NWAAUnpH1.jpg

:oops:

Flashbacks of my cheap-ass grandmother buying this crap. Blessed was the day when I had my own money and could buy Edge gel for myself!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis