Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
And now Joe Rogan, another radio talker and anti-vaccine liar with chronic cranial-colonic inversion, has come down with COVID-19. He claims he’s throwing the kitchen sink at it, all kinds of meds, “monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone, everything. I also got an NAD drip and a vitamin drip.” But he won’t say if he’s been vaccinated or not. Ivermectin won’t affect COVID-19, but it could force his head out into the daylight.
This reminds me of the Paul Krugman: The Snake Oil Theory of the Modern Right

>>>...
And much of this refusal [of vaccination] is political. True, many people who are refusing to get vaccinated aren’t Trumpists, but there’s a strong negative correlation between Donald Trump’s share of a county’s vote and vaccinations. As of July, 86 percent of self-identified Democrats said they had had a vaccine shot, but only 54 percent of Republicans did.

But vaccine refusers aren’t just rejecting lifesaving vaccines, they’re also turning to life-threatening alternatives. We’re seeing a surge in sales of — and poisoning by — ivermectin, which is usually used to deworm livestock but has recently been touted on social media and Fox News as a Covid cure.

OK, I didn’t see that coming. But I should have. As the historian Rick Perlstein has pointed out, there’s a long association between peddlers of quack medicine and right-wing extremists. They cater to more or less the same audience.

That is, Americans willing to believe that Barack Obama was born in Kenya and that Italian satellites were used to switch votes to Joe Biden are also the kind of people willing to believe that medical elites are lying to them and that they can solve their health problems by ignoring professional advice and buying patent medicines instead.

Once you’re sensitized to the link between snake oil and right-wing politics, you realize that it’s pervasive.
This is clearly true in the right’s fever swamps. Alex Jones of Infowars has built a following by pushing conspiracy theories, but he makes money by selling nutritional supplements.

It’s also true, however, for more mainstream, establishment parts of the right. For example, Ben Shapiro, considered an intellectual on the right, hawks supplements.
...<<<

Edit: Extended the quote

Last edited:
Dan

Dan

Audioholic Chief
"And now Joe Rogan, another radio talker and anti-vaccine liar with chronic cranial-colonic inversion, has come down with COVID-19. He claims he’s throwing the kitchen sink at it, all kinds of meds, “monoclonal antibodies, ivermectin, Z-Pak, prednisone, everything. I also got an NAD drip and a vitamin drip.” But he won’t say if he’s been vaccinated or not. Ivermectin won’t affect COVID-19, but it could force his head out into the daylight.

[/QUOTE]

Maybe his rectum thinks that his head is a big tapeworm and the ivermectin will expel it.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
You've already posted two rebutted posts in the last 24 hours in this very thread.
Hmm, it seems to be I have officially been rebutted (with sources, etc.) by one person, Mr._Clark and I happily stood corrected. Now, I may post things with which you (and some others) personally disagree (and the converse is certainly true) but that is hardly "out of context quotes, disinformation and otherwise argue in bad faith." Have a good one!

jinjuku

jinjuku

I just came back from a visit with extended family.

Two things: 80% are dumb as truck and none of them are in any well paying profession and all are living paycheck to paycheck. You can't talk to them, you can't reason with them, I've offered free training for compute or networking certifications and none of them will take me up on it to improve themselves. Most won't get the vaccine.

It's amazing. They may be family but if they were strangers I'd nothing in common and nothing to do with them.

It's depressing.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan

Two things: 80% are dumb as truck and none of them are in any well paying profession and all are living paycheck to paycheck. You can't talk to them, you can't reason with them, I've offered free training for compute or networking certifications and none of them will take me up on it to improve themselves. Most won't get the vaccine.

It's amazing. They may be family but if they were strangers I'd nothing in common and nothing to do with them.

It's depressing.
You even gave the same very generous offer to an AH member, a total stranger none the less, and he did not take you up on it either as I recall. A real wasted opportunity for them.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

It's depressing.
Guess there is some truth to the saying "You can't fix stupid." I am sorry to hear about this, though. You seem like a genuinely good person who is willing to help people get themselves into a better situation.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You even gave the same very generous offer to an AH member, a total stranger none the less, and he did not take you up on it either as I recall. A real wasted opportunity for them.
Yeah this is why I don't totally buy into the argument of poor people are poor because of some system that's oppressing them. My experience is that poor people are poor people because well honestly they're not that bright. The smart ones will find a way.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

It's depressing.
I feel your pain. We have the same pain with a well enough educated, high paying job son.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah this is why I don't totally buy into the argument of poor people are poor because of some system that's oppressing them. My experience is that poor people are poor people because well honestly they're not that bright. The smart ones will find a way.
Malnutrition, say from poverty, in children is known to affect cognitive development negatively. But even poverty itself can impede cognitive function in adults, and obviously this is not straightforward area to research: Some of what I've seen is focused on economic decisions during poverty.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm, it seems to be I have officially been rebutted (with sources, etc.) by one person, Mr._Clark and I happily stood corrected. Now, I may post things with which you (and some others) personally disagree (and the converse is certainly true) but that is hardly "out of context quotes, disinformation and otherwise argue in bad faith." Have a good one!
Knock yourself out with that.

jinjuku

jinjuku

Malnutrition, say from poverty, in children is known to affect cognitive development negatively. But even poverty itself can impede cognitive function in adults, and obviously this is not straightforward area to research: Some of what I've seen is focused on economic decisions during poverty.
I know. Just super surly after spending time with my family and just wondering where the lack of any critical thinking comes from. Then reminded in this thread I offered another AH member a hands on course and offered to pay for their test that they passed and nothing.

So it's a lot of things that have been talked about. Both you and me.

I'm in a bit of a mental tail spin with regards to family right now. I gave my brother birthday money, and he's living with my parents at 51 years old, hops on his pedal bike and disappears for the night. My mom didn't know I gave him money and she said: Where did he get $$ from, he normally only takes off when he has money. The more he has the longer he's gone and then back when broke again.

I'm upset at my parents, I'm upset at my older brother, my younger brother and his GF won't get the vaccine, won't allow their teenage kids to get the vaccine, their 14 year old daughter has been brought to the apartment by cops twice now.

What the h ell is going on! FFS stop being dipshits!

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
once you’re sensitized to the link between snake oil and right-wing politics
once a person has been bitten by snake oil, its embedded in their mind and its pretty much incurable as these people do not believe in science or hard facts. But they always seem to quote hearsay and facts that has been adjusted to satisfy some conspiracy theory. Its pretty sad really that so many anti-vaxers are dying when a simple shot could have saved their life.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
An interesting article in layman's terms that suggests that the reported drop in vaccine effectiveness is overblown.
I read that the other day, and I agree with it. It sums up the complexity of the immune system, and how poorly we understand it. Basically, if we understood the immune system better, we might be able to explain in a more simple way. There's a lot more going on than circulating antibodies.

I liked it, so much that I linked it to my wife & daughter. If they read the first half, I'll be happy. I forgot to post it here, so thanks for doing that.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
WOW, air quality meter? I want scientific evidence that it matters. What do woodworkers and other tradesmen who wear masks all day long do, die off early go to sleep on the job? CO2 poisoning? I wonder if anyone in that audience dared to tell the boar members to get their medical advice from the county medical chief office.

I was curious and happen to have a medical grade oximeter at home so I experimented. The O% varied from 96% to 98% sitting, no mask. Changed breathing from holding, breathing faster, etc. Never went below 96%. Placed mask on, repeat. Same readings, no difference. I bet this is more relevant than air quality that .... relies on.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis