Trying to combine old and new -- looking for advice

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If I'm used to 901s, will they sound like pipsqueaks to me?
Well it's been about 40 years since I heard 901s....a fun party speaker at the time if well set-up. The 530 is quite a bit different and yes perhaps not quite up to the spl of the 901 with the right amp....but not a contest I'm particularly interested in either. In a larger room I do tend to like larger speakers vs smaller ones but smaller ones in my smaller bedrooms are quite nice. Depends.

M

Mike S.

Enthusiast
Well it's been about 40 years since I heard 901s....a fun party speaker at the time if well set-up. The 530 is quite a bit different and yes perhaps not quite up to the spl of the 901 with the right amp....but not a contest I'm particularly interested in either. In a larger room I do tend to like larger speakers vs smaller ones but smaller ones in my smaller bedrooms are quite nice. Depends.
I just ordered a Marantz NR-1200. My bride is concerned that bookshelf speakers won't bring down the thunder. KEF 150s with stands would be $700 and would probably lead to a subwoofer purchase. I wonder if floorstanders might serve me better.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I just ordered a Marantz NR-1200. My bride is concerned that bookshelf speakers won't bring down the thunder. KEF 150s with stands would be $700 and would probably lead to a subwoofer purchase. I wonder if floorstanders might serve me better.
Oh I'd definitely want a sub with the JBL530s or KEF150s in any case....and even with most floorstanders except the very most capable. I have pretty decent ones but still prefer use of subs myself.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
JBL Stage A170's are your route to nirvana from floor standing speakers, for little money. These will pair nicely with the Marantz. https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A170.html Still, the Studio 530's are pretty awesome. Studio 530 | Professional-quality 125-watt Bookshelf Speakers (harmanaudio.com) BTW, Steve Gutenberg, a highly qualified professional audio reviewer, highly rated the JBL Stage A170's, His review is on YouTube. Review: JBL’s mighty $500/pair tower wows the Audiophiliac - Bing video

Last edited:
M

Mike S.

Enthusiast
JBL Stage A170's are your route to nirvana from floor standing speakers, for little money. These will pair nicely with the Marantz. https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STAGE+A170.html Still, the Studio 530's are pretty awesome. Studio 530 | Professional-quality 125-watt Bookshelf Speakers (harmanaudio.com) BTW, Steve Gutenberg, a highly qualified professional audio reviewer, highly rated the JBL Stage A170's, His review is on YouTube. Review: JBL’s mighty $500/pair tower wows the Audiophiliac - Bing video

M

Mike S.

Enthusiast
We can call in the dogs and piss on the fire -- the hunt is over. I've ordered a Marantz NR1200 and a pair of JBL A170s. I went with floorstanders to save the cost of stands and, possibly, the cost of a sub. I want to thank all you stereo savages for your help.

I talked to a tech at JBL about speaker wire. He suggested 12 or 14 gauge regular old wire. He didn't know anything about fancy-shmancy wire that I've seen advertised. I currently have a 30-year-old product called Monster wire. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We can call in the dogs and piss on the fire -- the hunt is over. I've ordered a Marantz NR1200 and a pair of JBL A170s. I went with floorstanders to save the cost of stands and, possibly, the cost of a sub. I want to thank all you stereo savages for your help.

I talked to a tech at JBL about speaker wire. He suggested 12 or 14 gauge regular old wire. He didn't know anything about fancy-shmancy wire that I've seen advertised. I currently have a 30-year-old product called Monster wire. If anyone here has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them.
I think you'll be pretty happy with those. Yes, regular 12 or 14 gauge is all you need. Expensive speaker cables are just snake oil. If your Monster wire is a heavy enough gauge you can use that but "lamp cord" or stranded copper wire is fine for speakers.

M

Mike S.

Enthusiast
I think you'll be pretty happy with those. Yes, regular 12 or 14 gauge is all you need. Expensive speaker cables are just snake oil. If your Monster wire is a heavy enough gauge you can use that but "lamp cord" or stranded copper wire is fine for speakers.
Monster wire is suitable for tying your yacht to the dock, I think. It's massive.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Monster wire is suitable for tying your yacht to the dock, I think. It's massive.
:D
As long as it fits the speaker and amplifier terminals. Banana plugs make that easier and all modern gear accepts banana plugs.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis