Looking for a 5.1 for under 2k

• Thread starter BuddingCheapAudiophile
  • Start date
B

BuddingCheapAudiophile

Audiophyte
Hello folks, Newbie here and dipping my toes into some real speakers for the first time ever. I have been reading anonymously on the forums so know for sure that this hobby can be expensive and it won't really end at my first rodeo. FWIW moving on from a Sonos Arc+Sub+One

I do have a smaller living room with a kitchen to the side (no separation in between), about 16ft x 16ft living room with a similar footprint kitchen. So think of it as 16ft x 32ft room with both kitchen and living side by side. 8 ft ceilings.

Main listening position is about 11 - 12ft. Usage is 50 - 50 Music and TV (Netflix, YT, Cable). Room has soft rugs, soft couches and curtains on the other side of the kitchen.

I am on a tight budget and I do like my bass, so most likely will get a lightly used HSU VTF2 or a new PB 1000 Pro and a Denon S750H to power all this.

For a 5.1 setup I am thinking the following, this is just from what I researched feel free to suggest something different, I am not hung up on them.
1. Chane A2.4's for LRC with NEUMI BS5 as rears
or
2. Ascend 340's for LRC with NEUMI BS5 as rears
or
3. Emotiva B1+'s and C1+ as LRC with NEUMI BS5 for rears

Right now I don't really have a ton of space for towers, however, this is a rented place and once this stupid housing market calms down I soon will buy my own bigger place.

If I get all new speakers either options will be about $800ish, I am assuming about $500 for the used VFT2 or $600 for new PB 1000 Pro and $400 for the new Denon from Costco.
So all in all about $1700-1800.

Thanks! Much appreciated

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hello folks, Newbie here and dipping my toes into some real speakers for the first time ever. I have been reading anonymously on the forums so know for sure that this hobby can be expensive and it won't really end at my first rodeo. FWIW moving on from a Sonos Arc+Sub+One

I do have a smaller living room with a kitchen to the side (no separation in between), about 16ft x 16ft living room with a similar footprint kitchen. So think of it as 16ft x 32ft room with both kitchen and living side by side. 8 ft ceilings.

Main listening position is about 11 - 12ft. Usage is 50 - 50 Music and TV (Netflix, YT, Cable). Room has soft rugs, soft couches and curtains on the other side of the kitchen.

I am on a tight budget and I do like my bass, so most likely will get a lightly used HSU VTF2 or a new PB 1000 Pro and a Denon S750H to power all this.

For a 5.1 setup I am thinking the following, this is just from what I researched feel free to suggest something different, I am not hung up on them.
1. Chane A2.4's for LRC with NEUMI BS5 as rears
or
2. Ascend 340's for LRC with NEUMI BS5 as rears
or
3. Emotiva B1+'s and C1+ as LRC with NEUMI BS5 for rears

Right now I don't really have a ton of space for towers, however, this is a rented place and once this stupid housing market calms down I soon will buy my own bigger place.

If I get all new speakers either options will be about $800ish, I am assuming about $500 for the used VFT2 or $600 for new PB 1000 Pro and $400 for the new Denon from Costco.
So all in all about $1700-1800.

Thanks! Much appreciated
It's optimistic to think that the Denon will be in stock at Costco. I think it's also optimistic to think you will be able to get a used Hsu. As for your speaker choices, they are all probably fine, but those brands are all internet-darlings with a lot of hype, and I wouldn't restrict your choices to just those. Don't get MTMs or AMT tweeter speakers if you can't line the speaker's height up with your ear listening height. They tend to have a narrow vertical dispersion. If I were you, I would be taking a close look at the Monoprice THX lines or Infinity Reference when it goes on sale. Also, don't wreck the room's aesthetics or go to great lengths to make the surround speakers happen in your home. Surrounds aren't all that important and mostly only add subtle touches to the sound if they are set up correctly.

B

BuddingCheapAudiophile

Audiophyte
It's optimistic to think that the Denon will be in stock at Costco. I think it's also optimistic to think you will be able to get a used Hsu. As for your speaker choices, they are all probably fine, but those brands are all internet-darlings with a lot of hype, and I wouldn't restrict your choices to just those. Don't get MTMs or AMT tweeter speakers if you can't line the speaker's height up with your ear listening height. They tend to have a narrow vertical dispersion. If I were you, I would be taking a close look at the Monoprice THX lines or Infinity Reference when it goes on sale. Also, don't wreck the room's aesthetics or go to great lengths to make the surround speakers happen in your home. Surrounds aren't all that important and mostly only add subtle touches to the sound if they are set up correctly.
That's a fine advice. Actually you are right on money with your first two points. I am having troubles finding S750H in the warehouse and I have visited 2 so far recently. However, it's available online and what I'll do right away is place an order for one. Costco is very generous with the return policy so I can easily return if it turns out to not be the best use of the $'s.
So far I haven't come across anyone selling 'any' used HSU. So what I am thinking is PB 1000 Pro alternatively which is 650 at the door.
Also Chane 2.4's are on sale right now with 39 off on the B stock and 7.95 flat shipping so I am getting LCR 2.4's for 710 at my door. How's that for a deal?

Thoughts on this setup? Do you have other recommendations?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Check RSL speakers out, great value for what you pay. Free at home trial period an all. I have CG3 line and I'm very happy.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Check RSL speakers out, great value for what you pay. Free at home trial period an all. I hate CG3 line and I'm very happy.
I take it you meant to say that you have the CG3 line and are happy? Because otherwise your input here doesn't make a whole lot of sense! ;)

Personally, I feel that the CG5s are worth the extra cost over the CG3s. I really liked the CG5s but I didn't care that much for the CG3 line, although I only heard the CG23.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I take it you meant to say that you have the CG3 line and are happy? Because otherwise your input here doesn't make a whole lot of sense! ;)

Personally, I feel that the CG5s are worth the extra cost over the CG3s. I really liked the CG5s but I didn't care that much for the CG3 line, although I only heard the CG23.
Yeah that was a typo. Oops . I want to upgrade to the CG5 line. I'm gonna buy one soon to use as a center in place of the CG23 I have now.
Huh I think the CG3 line sound excellent for the money. I have CG23 for LCR and CG3 surrounds. PB 2000 pro and already had the PB1000 so I'm using them together. Doesn't sound bad to me.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
That's a fine advice. Actually you are right on money with your first two points. I am having troubles finding S750H in the warehouse and I have visited 2 so far recently. However, it's available online and what I'll do right away is place an order for one. Costco is very generous with the return policy so I can easily return if it turns out to not be the best use of the $'s.
So far I haven't come across anyone selling 'any' used HSU. So what I am thinking is PB 1000 Pro alternatively which is 650 at the door.
Also Chane 2.4's are on sale right now with 39 off on the B stock and 7.95 flat shipping so I am getting LCR 2.4's for 710 at my door. How's that for a deal?

Thoughts on this setup? Do you have other recommendations?
If it were me, I would wait to see some actual performance metrics for the Chane speakers. They are one of those brands that get hyped a lot online. What can happen is that sometimes they are as good as purported, and other times they are shown to fall well short of their hype. There are no serious reviews of the Chane speakers as far as I can see, so I wouldn't pull the trigger on them until there is evidence of their performance.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If it were me, I would wait to see some actual performance metrics for the Chane speakers. They are one of those brands that get hyped a lot online. What can happen is that sometimes they are as good as purported, and other times they are shown to fall well short of their hype. There are no serious reviews of the Chane speakers as far as I can see, so I wouldn't pull the trigger on them until there is evidence of their performance.
Chane is a very, very strange speaker company. Most of their products are out of stock most of the year and the owner is very confrontational. He does NOT like anyone questioning of his business.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Chane is a very, very strange speaker company. Most of their products are out of stock most of the year and the owner is very confrontational. He does NOT like anyone questioning of his business.

Who is that these days?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Who is running the Chane outfit you referred to...haven't followed them for a while...
Ah ok, I don't remember his name but he is on AVS and will fight you to the death if you say anything negative about Chane speakers. All I did was say I don't trust a company that their product is out of stock most of the year.
I'm not on AVS anymore thank God. I told those Nazis to delete my account altogether. They are the absolute worst.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis