Speaker recommendations under $5k

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Looking for recommendations to build (or start building) a 5.1 setup, but would like to start with good floorstanders. Primary use will be TV/movies/gaming but it will also get some use as a 2ch listening area. They will be powered by either a Denon X3700 or X4700

-Speakers I've heard so far: Martin Logan Motion40, B&W Anniversary 603, Def Tech 9040 and 9080

-I'm also considering the SVS Prime Pinnacle and Focal Chora 826, and would like to hear the KEF Q950

I would say that roughly $2500K/pair or below is where I'd like to be on these, so I was hoping for recommendations on any brands/models I may have missed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I can definitely agree with you on the cable thing. Sometimes I like going to just see how biased some of the magnolia reps are. It’s insane. Outside of the very few I’ve found to actually know about stuff outside of their normal stock, I like to go and chat up some reps. I will mention a lot of brands of speakers and amps mentioned on here and they’ll just shrug their shoulders with “meh, never heard of it.” Their go to is “Bowers and Wilkins and McIntosh amps are the best combo on earth! Paired with AQ cables, you won’t find anything better!”
Sounds like the BB/Magnolia experiences I've had.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You post Erin’s audio corner but not the Steve Huff, Andrew Robinson, Steve Guttenberg, Zero Fidelity, and many other reviews. This forum is uninformed! Just give them an audition and decide for yourself.
Why do you read all those wacky reviewers if you make up your own mind?

ps for uninformed you likely just need to find a mirror....

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
In his original post, @mbl11428 said he wanted a 5.1 setup. His price goal is about $5k for all those speakers, and about $2.5k for the front pair.

I recommend the Salk SongTower II. At $2800/pair, they're a bit more than your stated goal. In my opinion, they're worth it.
In general, I'd also spend good money on the center channel speaker so that it does voices clearly (movie dialog) and closely blends with your front left & right speakers. The SongTower II is a fairly new model. Call or email Jim Salk and ask if a center channel speaker is available for it. But I also recommend spending much less on rear channel speakers. For example, the NHT SuperZero, at $250/pair, is excellent for rear channel duty.

Wait until after you hear those 5 speakers, set up properly in your home, before you decide on a sub woofer. Too often, many people call for "sub woofer overkill" as a cure all. Bass response really depends on your seating location, the speaker locations, as well as overall room dimensions. Learn what works and doesn't work in your room before spending money on a sub woofer.

$2800 + $250 leaves you with $1950 for a center speaker and sub woofer. Please note that I did not include shipping costs. Salk, NHT, as well as several good sub woofer makers, sell their speakers directly over the internet. You pay shipping costs, but not the substantial dealer markups.

Last edited:
S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Looking for recommendations to build (or start building) a 5.1 setup, but would like to start with good floorstanders. Primary use will be TV/movies/gaming but it will also get some use as a 2ch listening area. They will be powered by either a Denon X3700 or X4700

-Speakers I've heard so far: Martin Logan Motion40, B&W Anniversary 603, Def Tech 9040 and 9080

-I'm also considering the SVS Prime Pinnacle and Focal Chora 826, and would like to hear the KEF Q950

I would say that roughly $2500K/pair or below is where I'd like to be on these, so I was hoping for recommendations on any brands/models I may have missed.
The sister company of Martin Logan is Paradigm. Under the Paradigm label the Premier series speakers with the Defiance x12 or x15 (latter if budget allows) are excellent choices. If I were to build what you are looking at with a 5.1 surround sound consider the following (close to what I use) of pair of 800F fronts, 600c center, and I would have no problem in getting a pair of Founders edition 40B for the left and right rear. I own the 800F and the 40B's personally. As set up the system in my living room which uses a Defiance x12 as the sub woofer and the 800F right and left sounds awesome. My system is below

MRX-740 AVR
800F Premier left and right fronts
45C Prestige (no longer available) center
Paradigm Mini Monitor v5. (old and not available) left and right front surrounds
25S Prestige 25S (no longer available) left and right rear surrounds.
X12 Defiance subwoofer.

I have heard better but the room has to be designed around the speakers and system to get better than what I have. I give this as an example but I do like Paradigm. I have heard Revel and KEF and prefer Paradigm's offerings over the other two.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
If the Heresy IV's were anywhere near as bad as the Heresy IIIs that I auditioned, that would be a resounding no thanks. The newer Forte speakers that I heard were relatively piercing as well.
I own the Heresy IV’s and they’re not piercing at all. Heresy IV’s are not Heresy III’s. If you haven’t heard them then don’t critique them. Listen for yourself and decide.

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
Why do you read all those wacky reviewers if you make up your own mind?

ps for uninformed you likely just need to find a mirror....
I auditioned mine and they sound amazing btw. James Larson thought the RP8000f’s were good but these blow them out of the water. Yes I know they cost more obviously.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I auditioned mine and they sound amazing btw. James Larson thought the RP8000f’s were good but these blow them out of the water. Yes I know they cost more obviously.
The RP8000F actually has pretty decent measurements. But there is a flaw at the XO frequency, and it is audible. A member who owned both the RP8000s and JBL Studio 590s even admitted that as much as he liked the Klipsch... the 590s were more accurate speakers when it came to sound reproduction. He, like many of us here, values accuracy.
BTW... the reviewer of those RP8000s is one of the people you are bagging on for not liking Klipsch as much as you do.

Please don't take our criticism of Klipsch as a dis on you. It's not. You can like what you like; no worries, we don't mind. :)

L

Lakeshow2413

Junior Audioholic
The RP8000F actually has pretty decent measurements. But there is a flaw at the XO frequency, and it is audible. A member who owned both the RP8000s and JBL Studio 590s even admitted that as much as he liked the Klipsch... the 590s were more accurate speakers when it came to sound reproduction. He, like many of us here, values accuracy.
BTW... the reviewer of those RP8000s is one of the people you are bagging on for not liking Klipsch as much as you do.

Please don't take our criticism of Klipsch as a dis on you. It's not. You can like what you like; no worries, we don't mind. :)
I’m not bagging on him. I’ve watched his reviews and many audioholics videos. I don’t agree with everything being based on measurements. You should let your ears decide and not purely measurements. I never wanted Klipsch speakers because of the overly bright treble but the newer rp and heritage series are not overly bright. Cheers

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I will have to disagree with you on Magnolia being a bad place to make a purchase. At least at my locations, which I live right by their HQ and some of their largest stores in the country. I've talked with many of their Magnolia employees. Yes, they definitely have some people that are just their to push their super expensive stuff. But if you sift through the BS employees you can sometimes find some audio/video enthusiasts who actually know what they're talking about. And they can work some good deals. Obviously not everybody has this with their BB's, but I just don't think they're all bad. Also, Magnolia offers a 30 or 45 day return. On everything. So even if you purchased some $50k worth of speakers and amps and didn't like them you could return them and no questions asked.
In that case you must live in Richfield MN or close. In which case we should get together.

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Paradigm’s LCR70 Founders Edition as a speaker pair are some of the most impressive speakers I have heard. Compared with other speakers IMHO are worth considering.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
In my neighborhood, means close to Wescott and Lexington. Would you like to get together?
That's about 3-4 miles from me. On Johnny Cake between Diffley and Cliff. Yeah, we'll have to meet up some day. Maybe in the next couple of months.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Paradigm’s LCR70 Founders Edition as a speaker pair are some of the most impressive speakers I have heard. Compared with other speakers IMHO are worth considering.
Paired with 2 SVS SB3000s:

3 of the Founders LCR70s
-or-​
Premier 800Fs w/ Premier 600C
??

Last edited:
B

Bonscott

Audioholic
I found the DefTech BP 9xxx series to be dreadful speakers.
This does not mean you should avoid all Def Tech as the Demand Series seems legit. But they are expensive.

It looks almost as if you are shopping Best Buy/Magnolia.
This is not a good place to make a serious purchase.

Whereabouts are you? Any possibility of a dedicated shop in your area? (Nearest major city?)
Nothing wrong with Best/Magnolia if they have an item you want. Like any Chain/box store depends on who you talk to. Do your research first. Is Home Depot also not a good place to make a serious purchase? Same rules apply.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nothing wrong with Best/Magnolia if they have an item you want. Like any Chain/box store depends on who you talk to. Do your research first. Is Home Depot also not a good place to make a serious purchase? Same rules apply.
Yep as long as you don't need the help of the sales associates in a technical sense vs just a negotiating sense in either location :)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis