Speaker recommendations under $5k

M

mbl11428

Audioholic Intern
Looking for recommendations to build (or start building) a 5.1 setup, but would like to start with good floorstanders. Primary use will be TV/movies/gaming but it will also get some use as a 2ch listening area. They will be powered by either a Denon X3700 or X4700

-Speakers I've heard so far: Martin Logan Motion40, B&W Anniversary 603, Def Tech 9040 and 9080

-I'm also considering the SVS Prime Pinnacle and Focal Chora 826, and would like to hear the KEF Q950

I would say that roughly $2500K/pair or below is where I'd like to be on these, so I was hoping for recommendations on any brands/models I may have missed.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I really love my Ascend Acoustics Sierra Ribbon Towers. I did have all SVS Ultras and switched to the Sierras with RAAL ribbon tweeters. They sound awesome and can handle a lot of power at high volumes without breaking up.

Again, if you go that route get the ribbon upgrade. It's a superior tweeter and well within your budget still.

*Edit: I was basing that suggestion on a $5k budget per the title of the thread...
I would say that roughly $2500K/pair or below is where I'd like to be on these, so I was hoping for recommendations on any brands/models I may have missed.
So the Sierras are a touch over budget, but they're worth it imo. Great speakers.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Looking for recommendations to build (or start building) a 5.1 setup, but would like to start with good floorstanders. Primary use will be TV/movies/gaming but it will also get some use as a 2ch listening area. They will be powered by either a Denon X3700 or X4700

-Speakers I've heard so far: Martin Logan Motion40, B&W Anniversary 603, Def Tech 9040 and 9080

-I'm also considering the SVS Prime Pinnacle and Focal Chora 826, and would like to hear the KEF Q950

I would stay clear of the B&W 600 series. Lots of negative reviews out there. Just not living up to expectations. If you can find more in the speaker budget, I would look at the 700 series instead.

I've heard great things about the ML Motions. Can't go wrong with DefTech 9080's either. They're solid. And really everything else you have listed will be great. For that price point.

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
Stay away from Def Tech 9000 series.

"Buyer be aware that the amp section on the DT 9000 series are very suspect & they go bad very quickly or just before the warranty expires . You have to be warned the DT staff on the phone not helpful at all & very rude, they are quick to tell you it will cost you if the the 3 yr warranty is expired.
The cost is $355 +tax+ shipping to replace the defective amp. They knew will in advance that these amps were/are defective to begin with, but it's a matter how soon they go bad with your speakers is depend on how lucky you are."

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Stay away from Def Tech 9000 series.

"Buyer be aware that the amp section on the DT 9000 series are very suspect & they go bad very quickly or just before the warranty expires . You have to be warned the DT staff on the phone not helpful at all & very rude, they are quick to tell you it will cost you if the the 3 yr warranty is expired.
The cost is $355 +tax+ shipping to replace the defective amp. They knew will in advance that these amps were/are defective to begin with, but it's a matter how soon they go bad with your speakers is depend on how lucky you are."
Def Tech has gone down hill since Sandy left. I would steer clear of them.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I found the DefTech BP 9xxx series to be dreadful speakers.
This does not mean you should avoid all Def Tech as the Demand Series seems legit. But they are expensive.

It looks almost as if you are shopping Best Buy/Magnolia.
This is not a good place to make a serious purchase.

Whereabouts are you? Any possibility of a dedicated shop in your area? (Nearest major city?)

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
I found the DefTech BP 9xxx series to be dreadful speakers.
This does not mean you should avoid all Def Tech as the Demand Series seems legit. But they are expensive.

It looks almost as if you are shopping Best Buy/Magnolia.
This is not a good place to make a serious purchase.

Whereabouts are you? Any possibility of a dedicated shop in your area? (Nearest major city?)
I will have to disagree with you on Magnolia being a bad place to make a purchase. At least at my locations, which I live right by their HQ and some of their largest stores in the country. I've talked with many of their Magnolia employees. Yes, they definitely have some people that are just their to push their super expensive stuff. But if you sift through the BS employees you can sometimes find some audio/video enthusiasts who actually know what they're talking about. And they can work some good deals. Obviously not everybody has this with their BB's, but I just don't think they're all bad. Also, Magnolia offers a 30 or 45 day return. On everything. So even if you purchased some $50k worth of speakers and amps and didn't like them you could return them and no questions asked.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I will have to disagree with you on Magnolia being a bad place to make a purchase. At least at my locations, which I live right by their HQ and some of their largest stores in the country. I've talked with many of their Magnolia employees. Yes, they definitely have some people that are just their to push their super expensive stuff. But if you sift through the BS employees you can sometimes find some audio/video enthusiasts who actually know what they're talking about. And they can work some good deals. Obviously not everybody has this with their BB's, but I just don't think they're all bad. Also, Magnolia offers a 30 or 45 day return. On everything. So even if you purchased some $50k worth of speakers and amps and didn't like them you could return them and no questions asked.
Fair enough. Allow this as an addendum to my earlier comment: BUYER BEWARE!
Of course, that should always be the case, but those less attuned to the nuances of shopping for audio gear will easily find themselves buying AQ cables and who knows what else. I don’t know how many times I got pitched on Rocketfish gear that wasn’t appropriate for the application.
Yes, you can find the occasional employee that is in step with quality setups, but I still wouldn’t trust them for half the distance I could throw them.
*shrugs

Epsonfan

Epsonfan

Full Audioholic
BB=Crazy Eddie of the eighties . Most are clueless to the point of total moronic.

N

Nondemo

Audiophyte

I am seriously looking at Arendals: https://arendalsound.com

AudioHolics just did a fantastic review on them and they have a generous 60 trail period and an unheard of 10 year warranty! (!!) Shane at SpareChange used them as his daily drivers for over a year and he seemed to really love them as well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
At $5k for your application, I would be looking at the Arendal 1723 towers, JBL HDI series, Revel Concerta2, Polk Legend L600s, Deftech Demand, Monoprice Monolith THX, Philharmonic BMR towers, Paradigm Premier, among others.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I am seriously looking at Arendals: https://arendalsound.com

AudioHolics just did a fantastic review on them and they have a generous 60 trail period and an unheard of 10 year warranty! (!!) Shane at SpareChange used them as his daily drivers for over a year and he seemed to really love them as well.
I think this is a great idea. They sound like they are supposed to be pretty incredible. They are out of my price range but if you can afford them I say go for it. Shane really liked them and Audioholics too. That's good enough for me, two good sources.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
Fair enough. Allow this as an addendum to my earlier comment: BUYER BEWARE!
Of course, that should always be the case, but those less attuned to the nuances of shopping for audio gear will easily find themselves buying AQ cables and who knows what else. I don’t know how many times I got pitched on Rocketfish gear that wasn’t appropriate for the application.
Yes, you can find the occasional employee that is in step with quality setups, but I still wouldn’t trust them for half the distance I could throw them.
*shrugs
Oh I can definitely agree with you on the cable thing. Sometimes I like going to just see how biased some of the magnolia reps are. It’s insane. Outside of the very few I’ve found to actually know about stuff outside of their normal stock, I like to go and chat up some reps. I will mention a lot of brands of speakers and amps mentioned on here and they’ll just shrug their shoulders with “meh, never heard of it.” Their go to is “Bowers and Wilkins and McIntosh amps are the best combo on earth! Paired with AQ cables, you won’t find anything better!”

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You post Erin’s audio corner but not the Steve Huff, Andrew Robinson, Steve Guttenberg, Zero Fidelity, and many other reviews. This forum is uninformed! Just give them an audition and decide for yourself.
If the Heresy IV's were anywhere near as bad as the Heresy IIIs that I auditioned, that would be a resounding no thanks. The newer Forte speakers that I heard were relatively piercing as well.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis