Adding an external tweeter?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
For my center speaker in my 5.1.2 system, I have a Klipsch HP-201, which is the pro version of a Heresy II. I am having a tough time hearing dialogue even though I kind of doubt I could do much better with a different center speaker. I am a month away from 61, so that may have something to do with it. Two channel music sounds still bright and awesome to me though. I have seen photos of folks adding some kind of tweeter box on top of their Klipschhorns. Is that something I could do with my center to brighten that up? If so, what do I look for and how would that hook up?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do have a pre-amp center out on my Yam RX-A1060 if that is some added info that would help.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
For my center speaker in my 5.1.2 system, I have a Klipsch HP-201, which is the pro version of a Heresy II. I am having a tough time hearing dialogue even though I kind of doubt I could do much better with a different center speaker. I am a month away from 61, so that may have something to do with it. Two channel music sounds still bright and awesome to me though. I have seen photos of folks adding some kind of tweeter box on top of their Klipschhorns. Is that something I could do with my center to brighten that up? If so, what do I look for and how would that hook up?
What receiver are you using? On Denon and Marantz AVRs, you can adjust the level of the dialog (center channel).

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Yamaha. Yep, that is maxed out on the Yamaha android app. Great app, btw.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Where is your center channel located? Do you have a pic? Placement is a lot more important than most folks realize. If it's too high or low and/or stuffed into a cubby it's not ideal. The tweeter should be at ear level. If on a shelf it should be all the way forward. A little overlap even if you can get away with it.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
How... or can I add an external tweeter?
It would be kind of complicated to add a tweeter. That would mean modifying the crossover components and matching a new more sensitive tweeter. That could only be tried by someone who knows to build speakers and has the proper testing equipment.

IMO, the only solution would be to reduce the audio level of your main L & R speakers.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
It would be kind of complicated to add a tweeter. That would mean modifying the crossover components and matching a new more sensitive tweeter. That could only be tried by someone who knows to build speakers and has the proper testing equipment.

IMO, the only solution would be to reduce the audio level of your main L & R speakers.
Dang! I meant my pro Heresy II is a KP-201. So you can't add one externally? Is the center pre-amp out active along with my powered out? Could I add an amp to that and still have the powered center out active?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Short answer...no, don't bother with adding drivers. Dialog isn't really
tweeter territory either...maybe eq somewhere in midrange in the center channel or raise center channel level a bit.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

XEagleDriver

XEagleDriver

Audioholic Chief
Primo seating spot is 8-10 feet back from the center speaker. And yes, ear level, especially when recliner is in recline.
Have you tried moving the center further out from the wall.
- I would try approximately even with the front of the gray L/R table/speaker stands.

You may be getting too much reflection from that wall and TV, making dialogue less clear.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Primo seating spot is 8-10 feet back from the center speaker. And yes, ear level, especially when recliner is in recline.
I can tell what your problem is. Your problem is that your speakers are far too close together. When you have a layout like that there is huge interference between all the speakers, and a huge amount of mid and low bass reinforcement. That installation is a horror show.

If you must have speakers that close together, then you absolutely should not be using a center.

An extra tweeter will not solve your problem. In addition those speakers are known not to be very good, and certainly in almost all respects not suited to the AV environment.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Dialogue is in the midrange, not treble- a tweeter won't help.

If you can't hear dialogue, turn the balance to one side and if that helps, do what TLS said and if you can't, make sure the speakers don't have a problem. If you measure the response and the midrange has no particular defect in output level or range, check your hearing. Seriously. As we age, our hearing declines and if you have been exposed to high SPL midrange sounds, you shouldn't expect your hearing to be as good as it was, especially if you hunt, shoot for target practice/competition, work in a loud environment or even if you like to drive with the car windows open. Sometimes, as it was in my case, one ear seemed to have become insensitive to most sound above a few hundred Hertz and it turned out to be obstructed, so I cleaned it.

Also, if you recline your seat and lay back, your ears aren't in a position to perceive midrange properly. Our ears are positioned as they are for a reason- so we can hear voices and sounds that could signal danger. Next time, sit normally or tilt your head so head's axis is oriented vertically- the sound WILL change.

If you listen to music on a portable music source (iPod, smart phone, etc) with ear buds, I can almost guarantee that if you like the music loud, your ears have been damaged by this. I know someone else whose ability to hear dialog is terrible and she runs middle-long distances and always with her iPhone and ear buds. Her hearing is terrible and for some reason, cranking the music while using her ear buds never occurred to her as a possible cause.

FWIW- Koss headphones have come with a warning that sound above 95dB for long periods is harmful, since the 1970s, but I seriously doubt many people have read it. If they did, they paid no attention.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Have you tried moving the center further out from the wall.
- I would try approximately even with the front of the gray L/R table/speaker stands.

You may be getting too much reflection from that wall and TV, making dialogue less clear.

Cheers,
XEagleDriver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
They are pretty much even. Here is a new photo. Set-up looks different now. TLS Guy, couple things. No way could I move things wider, as the hallway is just to the right of my right speakers. I live in a mobile home mansion. The small speakers are rebuilt Minimus 77's with metal cone 5" woofers and M&K tweeters. Those are now my HT Mains. The right "stack" is just a pedestal. I bolted those two radio shack speakers together as a pedestal. They are not hooked up. I don't know or care if they work. I ran a single long wood screw through the table into the bottom one, so the stack swivels as necessary. Double face tape under the Minimus 77. The Klipsch Forte II's are no longer part of the HT. They are hooked up to the Kenwood KA-7100 amp.
But, I did turn up the center on the AVR and I am pretty sure it solved the issue. I did not think of that, so thanks Lovin for that advise!
TLS guy, sorry but it's far from a horror show.

Attachments

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I will know for sure if it solved the issue later when I watch some TV.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They are pretty much even. Here is a new photo. Set-up looks different now. TLS Guy, couple things. No way could I move things wider, as the hallway is just to the right of my right speakers. I live in a mobile home mansion. The small speakers are rebuilt Minimus 77's with metal cone 5" woofers and M&K tweeters. Those are now my HT Mains. The right "stack" is just a pedestal. I bolted those two radio shack speakers together as a pedestal. They are not hooked up. I don't know or care if they work. I ran a single long wood screw through the table into the bottom one, so the stack swivels as necessary. Double face tape under the Minimus 77. The Klipsch Forte II's are no longer part of the HT. They are hooked up to the Kenwood KA-7100 amp.
But, I did turn up the center on the AVR and I am pretty sure it solved the issue. I did not think of that, so thanks Lovin for that advise!
TLS guy, sorry but it's far from a horror show.
Do you run all 7 of those speakers on your front stage? What mode are you using to watch movies and how are all those speakers assigned?

Doc is guilty of some occasional hyperbole, but he means well and is a very experienced speaker designer and builder. Some points he raises are legitimate. I agree that it's not optimal to have those speakers all bunched together like that. How does it sound to you without the center in phantom mode?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
No. You didn't read what I wrote Pogre. I use NuerualX almost all the time with TV. Do you have a better program idea? Who is Doc? My HT is a 5.1.2. Rears are Suped up Minimus 7's as are the front presences.
Never tried phantom mode.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis