Thinking of upgrading Bookshelf speakers and selling existing.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
Sloooooowly upgrading.
New AVR : Denon AVRX1600H
New Sub : SVS SB1000

Current Front Bookshelf Speakers : Definitive Mythos GEM (https://www.definitivetechnology.com/products/mythos-gem)

Thinking about upgrading to the a new Bookshelf speakers at the next level (or two) above the current speakers.

What Bookshelf speakers would be the next level or two above what I already have?
I have no idea how to read the specs to make this determination or how to tell what speakers would be an upgrade or could actually be a downgrade.
The cost is definitely a factor.
For example, will the better sound justify the cost? Will only people with exceptional hearing discern any difference or will the average person be like "wow"????

After upgrading, where do people list their speakers for sale?
How much would Definitive Mythos GEM usually go for on the used market?

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
I think budget will help determine what your next step up is.
Ok, good point.
Assume $500 out of pocket for both speakers assuming my old speakers fetch me $0.
So, if my old speakers could fetch me $100 then I would do $600 and if they fetch me $200 then I would do $700.
Its my way of upgrading and not making it so financially painful. :cool:

Last edited:
H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
You can check eBay and Audiogon to compare prices for your speakers.

Sounds like these might be in the right range for you too:

Have been happy with SVS's sub and their support and talked to them.
These are the speakers they recommended but run about $500 each instead of for both.

Also, tried researching these speakers with what I currently have but unable to find any info possibly due to my speakers being an older model.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry, didn't realize it was each lol. I thought it seemed low, but there is a B-stock (Outlet) section on their site where you can get these at a discount and that will bring them closer to your price range, but currently there don't appear to be any available. Keep an eye on that section though.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
Thanks.
I am familiar with their outlet section. Thats how I purchased the Sub. ;)
Will definitely continue to monitor.

MalVeauX

MalVeauX

Senior Audioholic
Hi,

Check out:

Chane:

Ascend Sierra:

HTD Level Three:

Philharmonic AA+'s

Very best,

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Have been happy with SVS's sub and their support and talked to them.
These are the speakers they recommended but run about $500 each instead of for both.

Also, tried researching these speakers with what I currently have but unable to find any info possibly due to my speakers being an older model.
I don't know how much of an upgrade you'll realize with $500. Not having heard the Mythos Gems it's hard to say, but $500 is awfully tight. Those Ultra bookshelf speakers j suggested would be roughly my starting point for a meaningful upgrade.

Deftech's new Demand series reviewed pretty well here and they're a little bit closer to budget.

Scroll down for the bookshelf speakers. The D7 is in your budget, but will be very lacking in bass. I would want the D11 myself.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well in your other thread you said 3 1/2" drivers but don't remember you mentioning they were at least dual :) Still, for your size area and listening distance I'd want more substantial speakers. Might look thru ebay sold listings to see what prices folk have paid for those, but DefTec is a fairly well known brand so brand recognition should be a plus for you in selling them I'd think.

Ascend Sierra-1s are good but also beyond your budget unless you find something b-stock, might get closer. Their 340SE and maybe 170SE are worth considering, too and are more budget friendly. I have several of their offerings, altho no 340SE, but do have Sierra-1 NrTs, 170SEs and a coupla pair of 200SEs. For your size room and distance I think the 340SE might be the best consideration but is also fairly large and not wall mount friendly particularly....

Curious, how much improvement was it just adding the avr and sub to the existing speakers in terms of that slam you wanted for the wife?

ps Just realized you're not who I was thinking of so scratch the thing about the drivers and the wife :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looking at those Mythos, they seem to be more diffuse, almost surround like, designed for a spacious sound. It is listed as an On-Wall speaker. That will impact clarity and vocals as a main in my opinion. I think just by picking up something current with good voicing, you will improve your sound. I do think you can get an improvement at around 500-700.

Another option:

If you can handle the size, Ascend has a lower model than the Sierra which is also a very solid speaker:

Edit - We were typing the same at the same time lol. GMTA

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Looking at those Mythos, they seem to be more diffuse, almost surround like, designed for a spacious sound. It is listed as an On-Wall speaker. That will impact clarity and vocals as a main in my opinion. I think just by picking up something current with good voicing, you will improve your sound. I do think you can get an improvement at around 500-700.

Another option:

If you can handle the size, Ascend has a lower model than the Sierra which is also a very solid speaker:

The CMT 340 is what helped put Ascend on the map, right? I think that's the speaker I remember reading about. When they first came out they made a big splash for being such a neutral speaker in that price range. They do measure very well for a budget speaker.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sierra-1 was the speaker they made the splash with for the most part afaik, but other good value speakers haven't hurt at keeping their momentum going....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Sierra-1 was the speaker they made the splash with for the most part afaik, but other good value speakers haven't hurt at keeping their momentum going....
I'm super impressed with my Sierra 2s. Enough that I switched over to Ascend all the way around. I know the S1s have the NrT instead of RAAL, but I'll bet they're more alike than different. The NrT is a very, very good dome tweeter and has excellent measurements. Dave has charts comparing the 2 and to my eye the RAAL just barely edges it out on a couple of metrics.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The CMT-340 put them on the map for great budget speakers originally, along with the original 170 and then the SEs. The Sierras put them on the map again with a bigger sign lol.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
Thanks for the replies.
Good to see there are options.
But based on the feedback, I am sort of sensing at my price point my return on investment many not justify dishing out the money.

Those Level Three Bookshelf Speakers and DF D7 speakers are right on the mark price wise, but how does one know based compared to my current speakers that improvements will be noticeable and worth the cost and just not upgrading for the sake of upgrading?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm super impressed with my Sierra 2s. Enough that I switched over to Ascend all the way around. I know the S1s have the NrT instead of RAAL, but I'll bet they're more alike than different. The NrT is a very, very good dome tweeter and has excellent measurements. Dave has charts comparing the 2 and to my eye the RAAL just barely edges it out on a couple of metrics.
Yeah would love to hear the difference and the kit tempts me somewhat. The difference between the stock and NrT tweets I thought was subtle, too. I'm thinking it was the Sierra-1 originally that got the most attention in the audio press, how I came across it originally. I think Dave makes a nice speaker....and those bamboo cabs are very solid.

H

HardOfHearing

Junior Audioholic
For comparison, I called Definitive and inquired as to which current speakers closely match the Mythos version and the response was the D7 but the D7 were better.
Since I couldn't find a way to compare, I guess for now the baseline or comparable product would be which of the items listed above (in the $500 range) would be the biggest improvement over the D7?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
For comparison, I called Definitive and inquired as to which current speakers closely match the Mythos version and the response was the D7 but the D7 were better.
Since I couldn't find a way to compare, I guess for now the baseline or comparable product would be which of the items listed above (in the $500 range) would be the biggest improvement over the D7?
I think what they tell you is pretty accurate and would agree the D7 likely is a better speaker, but isn't going to have much in the way of bass. That's going to be the main difference between the 3 models of bookshelf speakers in the D series. The higher the price, the better bass performance they're going to have. I didn't see if you already have a sub, or planning to get one..? I'd say D7 with a sub or D9/D11 without a sub.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I would wait until I have $1000, especially if I already had speakers that worked well enough. A lot of things can happen while waiting to save a more realistic amount, at least as far as perceivable upgrades are concerned. Things can go on sale, for example. JBL frequently offers roughly a 50% off on some of their higher performing consumer offerings. Then there's always Black Friday, and other holiday sales events.

The thing about audio is, that it takes very little time to get used to new speakers, and losing any supposed obvious improvements in short order, unless they are profoundly better. Even then, they can leave you wondering and second guessing. The $500 budget range contains a heap of average performers, in 2021 terms.

Now there is just too many brand choices, and it is this redundancy, that pushed/pushes me further into DIY. It irks me when marketers hold back what would otherwise include default optimal performance via the computer/material resources age, to fit a certain economic class. Cut as many of those non producing parasites out, every chance I get.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis