Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers RAAL Tweeters

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
Ahh, the good ol' speaker delivery radio silence!

Hope you're enjoying it Pogre!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Ahh, the good ol' speaker delivery radio silence!

Hope you're enjoying it Pogre!
I can just see him knocking on the side of the truck..."Sir...sir...I think you have something of mine....sir?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I received it early in the afternoon, spent the rest of it dialing everything in and watched Thor: Ragnarok last night. To my surprise, the Horizon actually does seem to perform better than the Sierra 2 I've been using. I wouldn't use words like "night and day", the Sierra 2 made a fine temporary center channel. Plus I'm sure seeing that huge box in its place is coloring my perceptions at least a little bit, but I don't care. It's definitely a big speaker, and one of the beefier center channels I've seen. It's basically exactly the same as my towers with altered box dims and the drivers rearranged to lay on its side. In fact I could see turning the tweet on it and using a pair of these on stands for main speakers!

Anyhoo, so far so good. Sounds great, but I had some user generated issues dialing the subs in yesterday and ended up running Audyssey a couple of times. When I pulled the Mini forward to hook up to my pc I unplugged one of the Hsus and didn't notice until after I did all 8 measurements and took my first sweep with the Umik. I know what my fr looks like in this room and it was way off. So I went through all my cabling, found the issue and started over again. Otherwise I probably would have updated this yesterday. It's frustrating when you get so far, realize you screwed something up and have to start over again.

Later today I'll try to snap some pics and post 'em up. I've been holding off on glamor shots until I got my Horizon and completed my front stage.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I received it early in the afternoon, spent the rest of it dialing everything in and watched Thor: Ragnarok last night. To my surprise, the Horizon actually does seem to perform better than the Sierra 2 I've been using. I wouldn't use words like "night and day", the Sierra 2 made a fine temporary center channel. Plus I'm sure seeing that huge box in its place is coloring my perceptions at least a little bit, but I don't care. It's definitely a big speaker, and one of the beefier center channels I've seen. It's basically exactly the same as my towers with altered box dims and the drivers rearranged to lay on its side. In fact I could see turning the tweet on it and using a pair of these on stands for main speakers!

Anyhoo, so far so good. Sounds great, but I had some user generated issues dialing the subs in yesterday and ended up running Audyssey a couple of times. When I pulled the Mini forward to hook up to my pc I unplugged one of the Hsus and didn't notice until after I did all 8 measurements and took my first sweep with the Umik. I know what my fr looks like in this room and it was way off. So I went through all my cabling, found the issue and started over again. Otherwise I probably would have updated this yesterday. It's frustrating when you get so far, realize you screwed something up and have to start over again.

Later today I'll try to snap some pics and post 'em up. I've been holding off on glamor shots until I got my Horizon and completed my front stage.
I noticed a difference too when I upgraded my center in my office from a little Canto, to the bigger Pioneer center that matches the towers. It wasn't so treble heavy I guess is the best way to say it. It digs town to 70hz measured so I crossed it there. The lower end makes the center sound much fuller to me.

Maybe that's what you're hearing?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I noticed a difference too when I upgraded my center in my office from a little Canto, to the bigger Pioneer center that matches the towers. It wasn't so treble heavy I guess is the best way to say it. It digs town to 70hz measured so I crossed it there. The lower end makes the center sound much fuller to me.

Maybe that's what you're hearing?
I think so. It does seem fuller and sounds bigger. I think where I really notice it is when it cranked it up almost to reference watching Ragnarok on D+ last night. I've noticed with a lot of movies on there I pretty much need to turn it up that loud to hear dialogue, but when the music kicks in and/or explosive action it's really loud and the Horizon just eats it up where the Sierra 2 might have been straining a little.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I think so. It does seem fuller and sounds bigger. I think where I really notice it is when it cranked it up almost to reference watching Ragnarok on D+ last night. I've noticed with a lot of movies on there I pretty much need to turn it up that loud to hear dialogue, but when the music kicks in and/or explosive action it's really loud and the Horizon just eats it up where the Sierra 2 might have been straining a little.
Yep. Same as my experience. I had 4.1 in my office for forever and it was fine...unless dialog was an issue. It was quite a bit. The small center helped a bit, but it wasn't enough. Now I'm happy.

Glad you got your setup "done". :)

I've now realized it might be sub time for the office. I've got some drivers that need a home so I'm going to try to cook something up. My little JBL just can't keep up.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
As promised, pics!

20210528_142011_copy_2016x1512.jpg
20210528_141927_copy_2016x1512.jpg
20210528_142259_copy_2016x1512.jpg
20210528_142216_copy_2016x1512_1.jpg
20210528_142515_copy_2016x1512.jpg

I need a little stand for that center. 3 or 4 inches ought to do it, but can go as high as 6". I gotta get back in there and work on cable management again too... lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis