Room improvements for non dedicated room.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
The bass decay time below 50Hz doesn't really matter too much. The wavelengths of those frequencies have an inherently long duration. That curve is very choppy though, it is almost as if there is some kind of comb-filtering, like there is a phase conflict. You need to make sure everything is playing together in phase.

That is good, but the Y-axis is still a bit wide. Limit the top of the Y-axis to 95dB.
Possibly the Fireplace reflections. It extends 2'9"x6'1" into the room floor to ceiling about 5'6" in front of the right speaker. My seating position is about 10' off of the back wall the 2.7s are about 34" off the front wall. It could be reflective wave cancellation from the rear wave reflected off the front wall.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
Oops I lied. The graphs above were taken with just the 2.7s and the associated woofer cabinets. Below is with all subs turned on;

FrontsAllSubsFreqCurve.jpg

FrontsAllSubsWaterfall.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My neighbor has cows, I can visit anytime I like. One thing I notice is the patties from the male bovine are more ubiquitous and more difficult to avoid than that of the females.
I worked as a butcher for over 30 years. Them dairy cows ain't much good for anything but burger. Sorry Bessie...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Treating sidewalls would probably be a waste of time with those speakers since they are so directional. If it were me, I would put some absorbers behind the listening position and behind the speakers. I wouldn't worry about ceiling or floor reflections with those speakers.

The waterfall plot doesn't really help much. A basic frequency response sweep with a 50dB window would be a lot more helpful. It looks like the bass is pretty rough in there though. You might want to think about getting an EQ system for the low frequencies.
I was thinking the same about the bass situation. There are some opportunities there for sure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oops I lied. The graphs above were taken with just the 2.7s and the associated woofer cabinets. Below is with all subs turned on;

View attachment 47634

View attachment 47635
Yeah, you have a pretty jagged response. Have you experimented with room correction or eq? How about positional eq? Shady's right, the waterfall graph isn't really useful at this stage, but I will say it does look pretty clean. Just need to get that fr straightened out some.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
In order to give a better feel for my environment I created the following video;

Unfortunately it does not give a good view of the woofer cabinets next to the 2.7s (outboard).

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
I think the graph might reflect the fact that your speakers are dipoles, including the subs. That explains the comb filtering that appears to be going on. Trying to eq the interference out seems a fool's errand. With such directional response and speakers that inherently involve the room to a greater degree, I expect placement to be of utmost importance.

Last edited:
Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I think the graph might reflect the fact that your speakers are dipoles, including the subs. That explains the comb filtering that appears to be going on. Trying to eq the interference out seems a fool's errand. With such directional response, I expect placement to be of utmost importance.
I was thinking the same thing. If ShadyJ thinks there may be a phase conflict, speaker positioning is the first thing I would try. That fireplace might make the room a challenge but not much you can do about that.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If it was me I’d turn everything around and put the whole front setup in the bay window end be easier I’d think to get rid of some of your problems. Turn the seating around where your rears in buy the doorways in more diffuse content and you can better lock down the center image in the closed end of the room a more even soundstage could be had .

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
That Big open Door way sure isn't helping any with the 5bd boost. It's not much I myself wouldn't worry much about thst. James did state he has arc, close considering all things. Who has a Perfect HT room setup for Ideal room corrections. OP set back crankup that nice setup You have and enjoy the music/video! Don't overthink you hobby at your age jump in with Monster Hunters!!

9ED239B5-A6F5-4903-80DC-48D8C55A8BD3.jpeg

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I enjoy the repartee, but I am hoping to get some practical tips on how to improve my room's acoustics.
James and other's have given you very solid advice. So have I, You stated you have Resources. There is help but you may have to spend some more on getting a Professional into your home to help Dialing in everything. @M Code maybe just your guy. He has Installed Many HT setups it's what he does. Can't be a hard core Hobbyist in this and cut corners. You may have to build yourself a Dedicated HT room. With the setup You have, That's like sticking a Ferrari in a garage and hopefully one day it'll Roar like a tiger for you. Happy Listening.

A

aceinc

Audioholic
At the moment reversing the seating would be a problem for many reasons including blocking the Bay window with the TV. I am not ready to buy a projector & pull down screen.

My 2.7s are about 34" off the front wall. The rear of the accompanying woofer cabinets are about 21" off the front wall.

One of my questions is, "Will treatment such as diffusers, absorbers and/or bass treatments on the front wall help?"

Another question is, "Would treatment on the side of the fireplace facing the front wall (also the right 2.7 & woofer cabinet) help?

If the answer to either of these is yes,, how can I determine what would be best?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis