What are you watching tonight?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I actually liked this better than a lot of the reviews. Not on the level of Christopher Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy, but also nowhere near as bad as many reviewers thought. (Putting aside the Perry White casting! Though my favorite Perry White is actually Jackie Cooper's because I like better the overall lighter tone of Richard Donner's Superman.)
Totally agree, right down to the casting of the White character (again, I absolutely loathe when they make changes like this for the sake of "inclusion" when there's no need for it; the character has been established, and that should be that). I like Fishburne as an actor, but his casting here was strange. I totally agree about Jackie Cooper as White, as well -- just nailed it (I said the same thing about Terrence Stamp and his rendition of Zod compared to Shannon's ham-fisted take on the seminal villain).

There will also never be another Luthor like Gene Hackman's.

I, too, enjoyed Man of Steel for exactly what it was -- a kind of Superman/Superman II hybrid that allowed Snyder to do what couldn't be done back when the originals were being made because of technology limitations. There are so many parallels to Superman II in this if you look carefully -- the fight between Zod and Kal-El, especially when Zod grabs him by the cape and tosses him through buildings (in Superman II, Supes does this to Zod, so it was reversed) and some other nods.

You can feel, though, Goyer and Nolan's influence on this film...right down to the darker, off-canted take on the origin material and the way they designed the Krypton sequences and such; makes sense, since they were on the production duties roster.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Please let us know how it is. If it's good I will wait and buy it on physical for the much better experience. I'm not going to bother with streaming anymore for the good action movies at least until their HDR/DV and Atmos/DTS-X match or best physical.
I'd have to say it was okay. Not terrible, but not great.

It's been many years since I read the novel, but the movie plot seemed to be only loosely based on the novel. To me, it seemed unrealistic, but my wife said she liked it because it was more realistic than a lot of the Sci Fi movies I watch.

To me, the movie tries to do too much with the John Kelly character. The character seemed to be designed by a committee in an effort to have a little something that would appeal to everyone. It was as if he was too perfect, but in contradictory ways (both perfectly good in some ways and perfectly bad in others, but without any real inner conflict).

I imagine some of this has to do with expectations. I loved the novel, but this may have created unrealistically high expectations for the movie.

Disclaimer: I'm sure my taste in movies is different than most. For example, Terminator Salvation was probably my favorite Terminator movie, but I'm probably the only person on the planet who feels that way.

T

Tachead7075

Audioholic
I'd have to say it was okay. Not terrible, but not great.

It's been many years since I read the novel, but the movie plot seemed to be only loosely based on the novel. To me, it seemed unrealistic, but my wife said she liked it because it was more realistic than a lot of the Sci Fi movies I watch.

To me, the movie tries to do too much with the John Kelly character. The character seemed to be designed by a committee in an effort to have a little something that would appeal to everyone. It was as if he was too perfect, but in contradictory ways (both perfectly good in some ways and perfectly bad in others, but without any real inner conflict).

I imagine some of this has to do with expectations. I loved the novel, but this may have created unrealistically high expectations for the movie.

Disclaimer: I'm sure my taste in movies is different than most. For example, Terminator Salvation was probably my favorite Terminator movie, but I'm probably the only person on the planet who feels that way.
Thank you for the detailed reply sir.

Well, I may stream this one before deciding to buy or not then and see if it's worth the cost. Thanks again.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I see all the Divergent movies are on Tubi. They are getting great stuff lately and quality is good in 1080p. Be cool if they had surround sound.
There's also a 4K/UHD Blu-ray set of the trilogy; we only view physical media, but we own the first two on DVD and the third on 1080p Blu (the DVDs look incredibly smooth and clean upscaled to 4K, amazingly).

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
There's also a 4K/UHD Blu-ray set of the trilogy; we only view physical media, but we own the first two on DVD and the third on 1080p Blu (the DVDs look incredibly smooth and clean upscaled to 4K, amazingly).
I had them on bluray. If I remember correctly there was a 3D of one of the movies that was OK. If a good sale on 4K I may bite.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
I had them on bluray. If I remember correctly there was a 3D of one of the movies that was OK. If a good sale on 4K I may bite.
Interesting; didn't know about the 3D...

What happened to the Blu-rays you had?

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Lost everything in da divorce. Well something like that. That why I'm rebuying alot of stuff from Thrift stores.
Sorry to hear about your divorce, my friend; must be hard...how long ago was that?

My wife, knowing the HT nut that I am, wouldn't dare hold my disc collection over my head in a separation...:D:oops:

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Watched the final episode of The Falcon and The Winter Soldier, then I watched Outside The Wire on Netflix. The movie was ok, the bass at the end when the nuke is firing up, was insane. My wife fell asleep, and I have no idea how she stayed asleep during that part.

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan

It's about a father who is a judge who is covering up for his son who did a hit-an-run on a kid who happens to be the son of the city's biggest crime boss. It was real good at first, but now the tension is starting to veer into the unrealistic: the son has a love interest with the crime boss' daughter; the judge is throwing dead bodies overboard etc.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis