Are These Finds Good Deals?

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Oh yeah. All kinds. Lots of Mac gear too. I'm wondering if he's one of the couple of guys @lp85253 was talking about a ways back. They have guys on tap who work at thrift stores (anecdotally) that contact him if something interesting gets donated.
Could be that’s quite a collection of vintage gear .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
We have a guy in the nearby city (Eugene) who constantly runs craiglist ads for the speakers he's collected over the years (and seems to have a lot of them), says he was in the industry in some design aspect. Been tempted a few times to go visit....maybe one of these days.
Those would test my carvers in the front bedlayer .
Amazing Loudspeakers I doubt would keep up....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
We have a guy in the nearby city (Eugene) who constantly runs craiglist ads for the speakers he's collected over the years (and seems to have a lot of them), says he was in the industry in some design aspect. Been tempted a few times to go visit....maybe one of these days.

I did contact the guy out here and he does do appointments, but I'm not a serious buyer. I told him that and he said he'd still meet me if I wanted to, but... I dunno. If things were more normal and he was open I'd have already visited, but I'd hate to make an appointment just to go there and yak at the guy.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I did contact the guy out here and he does do appointments, but I'm not a serious buyer. I told him that and he said he'd still meet me if I wanted to, but... I dunno. If things were more normal and he was open I'd have already visited, but I'd hate to make an appointment just to go there and yak at the guy.
Our guy apparently runs out of his home but wouldn't be surprised he's connected with the little storefront in town selling an odd assortment of used audio gear (which I think has been appointment only during Covid too).

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
They should easily test the ear drum
There’s some heavy weight speakers in that room when you look closer couple big Polk’s and what looks like a pair of Infinity’s with sub boxes .but yea I’d test those old horns out !

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
Oh yeah. All kinds. Lots of Mac gear too. I'm wondering if he's one of the couple of guys @lp85253 was talking about a ways back. They have guys on tap who work at thrift stores (anecdotally) that contact him if something interesting gets donated.
Probably.. There's 3 or 4 guys that advertise pretty regularly...

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
The guys a gear head like us lol he’d probably love to demo that stuff and you’d here some amazing speakers and he’d probably love to talk wires and meters when ya take a closer look in that room there’s some really good but older speakers there .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General

[/QUOTE

probley not !

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Always herd they were power hungry but in the right setup sounded really good but I’ve never herd them either .
Well more power limited than "hungry" (somewhat low sensitivity, not particularly lower than 4 ohm impedance load), easy to blow up the ribbons on the Carvers and the woofers had limits, too. The Altecs would easily surpass in terms of spl capabilities, altho it would be interesting to see some sort of head to head comparison at various levels (with measurements) :).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Those are the ones I found on CL that you used to own, right? Your buddy fried the ribbons? Oof...
Yep and I bought 'em from a buddy who had fried the ribbons and we'd had them repaired at Carver before buddy # 2 turned it up to eleven (with same excessive amplification hooked up that buddy # 1 had, my bad).

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Well more power limited than "hungry" (somewhat low sensitivity, not particularly lower than 4 ohm impedance load), easy to blow up the ribbons on the Carvers and the woofers had limits, too. The Altecs would easily surpass in terms of spl capabilities, altho it would be interesting to see some sort of head to head comparison at various levels (with measurements) :).
I seen a pair of Altec horns go on eBay the other day with no diaphragms for a good bit of money they looked new in there boxes I figured the dude was doing a build and went another direction. Seems to be a market for old Altec stuff .

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
@Eppie might like this one. A pair of Paradigm Prestige 95F towers for $2900...

View attachment 47372

The Prestige line is pretty well regarded still on AVS forums. Some people really like the silver. Might be a little bright sounding to my tastes.

On another note, really enjoying the SB-2000 Pro I got yesterday. My old sub was crap! :D Makes my 10 yr old Studio 20's sound so much better. Still thinking about Founders towers but after this upgrade I'm in no hurry. Classic rock doesn't have a lot of really deep bass put the improved mid bass is awesome. Did play some deep stuff like Michael Jackson's Jam, Feist, Metric and St Vincent and it got the kitchen floor and furniture above vibrating :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The Prestige line is pretty well regarded still on AVS forums. Some people really like the silver. Might be a little bright sounding to my tastes.

On another note, really enjoying the SB-2000 Pro I got yesterday. My old sub was crap! :D Makes my 10 yr old Studio 20's sound so much better. Still thinking about Founders towers but after this upgrade I'm in no hurry. Classic rock doesn't have a lot of really deep bass put the improved mid bass is awesome. Did play some deep stuff like Michael Jackson's Jam, Feist, Metric and St Vincent and it got the kitchen floor and furniture above vibrating
I didn't know you got a new sub! Congratulations! Even if it is a sealed sub... I know you do your homework tho, so I won't bust your balls. It's a great sub. I'll bet Hippo sounds WAY better now! The SB2000P is definitely a nice step up from what you had and iirc your room isn't huge so you're likely getting some gain there too. That's awesome. You should be sounding really good right now. I think those Studio 20s are good speakers even still today. To me the old sub was the glaring weak link in your chain. I've been harping on you for weeks about it.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis