lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have not tried the TV Apps yet so I don't know if I get audio to the AVR over ARC using those. That was suggested to me this morning and I will check it in a few hours.

The XBOX is set to output bitstream to the TV. What happens to it once it gets there is the question.
My apologies, thought I saw you did have that already. Maybe I got some threads mixed up, sorry.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the ideas. The TV apps don't pass audio through ARC either.

I asked LG and they suggested unplugging the power cord, holding the power button down for 5 seconds (not sure what that would do when the power cord is unplugged), and then unplugging the hdmi cable. That did nothing as well. They said they would send a warranty tech next.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Ok - I powered on the TV. Switched it to the XBOX HDMI input. Powering on the TV, powered on the AVR automatically (So CEC is working?). The I switched the AVR to TV Audio. Then powered on the XBOX. Still no audio.
If you have done everything right, that is, according to the manuals of each piece, then it is usually (as HD mentioned) down to the switching sequence. Have you tried turning on the TV and the AVR last? That is, turn on whatever you need except the TV and the AVR, then turn on the TV, wait a few seconds and then turn on the AVR.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
I have. In fact, that is how I normally turn it all on. I start by powering on the xbox. My Harmony turns on the TV first then the receiver. The only issue is that even if I turn on the TV manually, I cannot control how long of a lag it is until the AVR is powered on. CEC turns the AVR on pretty quickly after the TV is powered up.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have. In fact, that is how I normally turn it all on. I start by powering on the xbox. My Harmony turns on the TV first then the receiver. The only issue is that even if I turn on the TV manually, I cannot control how long of a lag it is until the AVR is powered on. CEC turns the AVR on pretty quickly after the TV is powered up.
Okay then, you should try turning CEC (HDMI Control) off on the Denon. Then, repeat the same sequence of switching on, but only after unplugging the power cord from both the TV and the AVR first. I remember having to do that in the past, before the last several FW update.

With the latest updates, I no longer need to do the unplug trick, but occasionally still have to turn off the AVR and turning it back on. That's still miles ahead than before so I would say ARC is in fact getting better, easier now than a couple years ago.

Here's a screen shot of my Denon's setting. No point to show the TV one as mine is Sony, not Samsung.

IMG_20210505_111151.jpg

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Okay then, you should try turning CEC (HDMI Control) off on the Denon. Then, repeat the same sequence of switching on, but only after unplugging the power cord from both the TV and the AVR first. I remember having to do that in the past, before the last several FW update.

With the latest updates, I no longer need to do the unplug trick, but occasionally still have to turn off the AVR and turning it back on. That's still miles ahead than before so I would say ARC is in fact getting better, easier now than a couple years ago.

Here's a screen shot of my Denon's setting. No point to show the TV one as mine is Sony, not Samsung.

View attachment 47312
Thanks - that's how I had it set up initially when it was working -- was told in this thread that ARC would not work without CEC (HDMI Control) being on. That's when I turned CEC on in both the TV and the AVR. The only difference is that I had a different Pass Through Source set (although I don't think that is applicable to the ARC issue).

I will set it back up the way I had it before, unplug the power to both and try it again. I'm pretty sure I tried that already, but I have tried so many combinations since this started that I cannot remember.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I will set it back up the way I had it before, unplug the power to both and try it again. I'm pretty sure I tried that already, but I have tried so many combinations since this started that I cannot remember.
I've proved to myself a coupla times it's worth sometimes not just double but triple checking stuff :)

A

AudioSidds

Enthusiast
hi cpd, have you tried a different HDMI cable? it needs to be a really good one to provide the bandwidth.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
hi cpd, have you tried a different HDMI cable? it needs to be a really good one to provide the bandwidth.
I had a problem with 4k video pass through earlier so I purchased a zeskit 8k ultra certified (48gbps bandwidth) HDMI cable. Solved the video problem and ARC worked over that cable it for 4 months.

A

AudioSidds

Enthusiast
Hmm, this sort of thing is such a pain and weird that it was working and suddenly not. Was there a recent firmware update for the TV that might have changed things? You might now need to look at getting an HDMI splitter from XBOX and connect to TV and AVR and forget using the TV ARC when using the XBOX. its just a bit more switching when you do gaming.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Hmm, this sort of thing is such a pain and weird that it was working and suddenly not. Was there a recent firmware update for the TV that might have changed things? You might now need to look at getting an HDMI splitter from XBOX and connect to TV and AVR and forget using the TV ARC when using the XBOX. its just a bit more switching when you do gaming.
It is baffling. I don't think I'd go the splitter route. It works via optical back from the TV to AVR and I can just stick with that. My real concern right now is simply that it doesn't work. It does not appear to be a settings issue, and so I feel it may be an equipment/board failure in the TV...and that I would want repaired.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Seems like you have tried everything, this is a mystery, the fact that you had it working before too.

May be time for a X3700H?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Seems like you have tried everything, this is a mystery, the fact that you had it working before too.

May be time for a X3700H?
LOL - I thought about that - but I'll wait until the 8k/4k-120hz AVR's have their bugs worked out and are offered with more than one 8k/4k-120hz input.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, better to find the source of the problem before spending more money on a new receiver that isn't going to help matters much.

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Thought I'd provide an update. After contacting LG and trying everything they suggested (factory reset, unplugging power, etc.) they set up a warranty claim. A local repair shop ordered a new main board and just now came out to replace it. The tech said he had to try a few things first and using a service remote did his own factory reset (which he said was different than the one I can do from the menu). The ARC now works.

I'm happy it's fixed, and happy it seems to have been isolated to the TV, but I am still a little concerned. I can't have a tech come out here every 4 months because something gets flummoxed in the TV.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Thought I'd provide an update. After contacting LG and trying everything they suggested (factory reset, unplugging power, etc.) they set up a warranty claim. A local repair shop ordered a new main board and just now came out to replace it. The tech said he had to try a few things first and using a service remote did his own factory reset (which he said was different than the one I can do from the menu). The ARC now works.

I'm happy it's fixed, and happy it seems to have been isolated to the TV, but I am still a little concerned. I can't have a tech come out here every 4 months because something gets flummoxed in the TV.
Interesting. Hopefully this fixes it for good.

Did the tech actually replace the main board, or did the factory reset do it?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Interesting. Hopefully this fixes it for good.

Did the tech actually replace the main board, or did the factory reset do it?
He did not replace the main board, he just did the factory reset with his service remote. That's why I am concerned about future issues.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis