My new Salk Sound speakers

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Hi everyone,
I haven’t posted in a while but thought I would share my new speakers. These are Salk Veracity ST‘s and the Song Supercharged center, all finished in candy apple burgundy. Hope you enjoy.

-Jason

673205FC-A8EA-40CE-8EFA-8B450350E31B.jpeg
7EFD7F7D-BAF1-454D-A8FD-5BCCF848AFEB.jpeg
3A6B0111-07B8-4BE3-8A83-8EFB5F9A610D.jpeg
33FFE3B7-9865-4C5B-A911-FF6C8AC6B2EA.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Those are awesome. I took a hard look at them not long ago.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Very nice. I will be very tempted to drive down to Pontiac once they open the border to regular travel.

F

flippo

Full Audioholic
Beautiful. Is it possible to find different location where speaker is not jammed in corner?

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Beautiful. Is it possible to find different location where speaker is not jammed in corner?
Thank you, unfortunately this is the only place in this house but we won’t be here forever and I’m hoping we have a better space in the future and can get them away from both side and rear walls.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Thank you, unfortunately this is the only place in this house but we won’t be here forever and I’m hoping we have a better space in the future and can get them away from both side and rear walls.
Now that you have these gorgeous keepers, you'll have great clarity when you look for another house. It must have a room suitable for them.

I also have Veracity STs – so I HIGHLY APPROVE of your excellent taste :).
1620094964655.jpeg

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Now that you have these gorgeous keepers, you'll have great clarity when you look for another house. It must have a room suitable for them.

I also have Veracity STs – so I HIGHLY APPROVE of your excellent taste :).
Beautiful! I knew someone else on here had them but couldn’t remember who. Yes, whenever we eventually move we’ll be shopping with a good listening room in mind.

Old Onkyo

Old Onkyo

Audioholic General
Nice speakers, I noticed the tweeters are offset. Does that mean there is a dedicated left and right speaker?

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
Nice speakers, I noticed the tweeters are offset. Does that mean there is a dedicated left and right speaker?
Thank you, I’m sure somebody here more knowledgeable than I can answer this with more detail but I know that on Salk’s website they are all arranged like this, with the tweeter more towards the center of the room, so I’m assuming there is some specific reason for it. I am also curious to know the answer.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Even though it looks like there are dedicated left and right speakers, that's not why the tweeters are offset. I keep my speakers with the tweeters are closer to each other. I know other people who do the opposite.

High frequency sound coming from tweeters interacts with cabinet edges, causing small peaks and valleys in the frequency range of about 4 to 8 kHz. The exact frequency is determined by the distance from the tweeter to the cabinet edge.

If the tweeter is centered in a tall narrow cabinet such as this one, there will be two tweeter-to-edge distances that are the same, creating the possibility of larger peaks and valleys. If the tweeter is slightly off center there will be two slightly different tweeter-to-edge distances. They may generate more peaks and valleys, but they will be smaller in amplitude.

The reason for an off-set tweeter is generally similar to why there are rounded over the edges on a speaker cabinet. It's a nice touch, especially the way that Salk does it with hardwood edges, and makes a small difference in the measurable sound. As with off-center tweeters, the effect of rounded edges can be measured, but it is not known just how audible a difference it makes.

Last edited:
highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Even though it looks like there are dedicated left and right speakers, that's not why the tweeters are offset. I keep my speakers with the tweeters are closer to each other. I know other people do the opposite.

High frequency sound coming from tweeters interacts with cabinet edges, causing small peaks and valleys in the frequency range of about 4 to 8 kHz. The exact frequency is determined by the distance from the tweeter to the cabinet edge.

If the tweeter is centered in a tall narrow cabinet such as this one, there will be two tweeter-to-edge distances that are the same, creating the possibility of larger peaks and valleys. If the tweeter is slightly off center there will be two slightly different tweeter-to-edge distances. They may generate more peaks and valleys, but they will be smaller in amplitude.

The reason for an off-set tweeter is generally similar to why there are rounded over the edges on a speaker cabinet. It's a nice touch, especially the way that Salk does it with hardwood edges, and makes a small difference in the measurable sound. As with off-center tweeters, the effect of rounded edges can be measured, but it is not known just how audible a difference it makes.
But by being mirror-image, they could be intended as 'assignable'. I have seen some speakers with Left and Right designation that have the same driver positions for both (tweeter on each is closer to the same side) although I never asked why- probably because the only people available were sales reps.

I always thought that it made sense to offset the tweeters and shift them so the diffracting edge was right AND left, so that they could be reversed if that helped the response, due to first reflections.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
I'm in a similar situation with a wall on one side. Members typically don't recommend throwing up panels randomly to correct a room, but in a clear case like this some absorbers on the right wall make sense to deal with first reflections. That's if you notice an imbalance due to the wall and your partner doesn't mind the look ;).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I would tend to place my tweets inside, to get them a little further away from a boundary. Or, perhaps outside if the placement makes them a little closer together than I like. o_O o_O o_O

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I guess I have to repeat myself.
Even though it looks like there are dedicated left and right speakers, that's not why the tweeters are offset.
When crossovers are designed for loudspeakers, it's done with using a single cabinet in mono. If a speaker is made with offset tweeters, it's done the same way – with a single cabinet. Listening in stereo, if it's done at all, happens later in the process.

Usually these test cabinets have only one purpose, which is to allow realistic mounting points for the drivers while measuring their frequency response (on & off-axis) and impedance. With that data, crossovers can be developed. These test cabinets (called mules) are not usually built in pairs, and they are most often unfinished.

Whether speaker pairs are built mirror-imaged or with identical off sets, is up to the builder, and is not part of the crossover development process.

Last edited:
little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
Once you do get to spread that out a bit, I'll bet the sound will be that much better. Absolutely gorgeous speakers though, I bet they sound great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis