JBL HT1Fs, Gramps to the rescue

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
i know that the ones that are probly reading this/actually answering already know my situation, but, yeah, gramps to the rescue, i told him my situation, and he allowed me to take his JBLs HT1Fs, tho, he used them as surrounds. they probly are, but i was wondering if they are decent fronts as well, probly much better than mine ss msp88 mains, i'm mainly asking cause they will require some re organizing of area, cause they are pretty big, and my tv is pretty big, and goes all the way to the edge of my center rack, so that's not an option, thus, requiring some more organization, if they really are designed for surround, i'll keep them as surround ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'd use them up front. Info is a little sparse, but what I'm finding says they're THX certified and have titanium dome tweeters. Ol' grandpa might have done you a real solid.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I'd use them up front. Info is a little sparse, but what I'm finding says they're THX certified and have titanium dome tweeters. Ol' grandpa might have done you a real solid.
YES, He has a thx capable receiver, he was fine with landing me these ones, but i saw a clear restrain when I asked about the main ones, since i don't really have where to put the JBLs, gonna have to figure that out, but the fronts were towers, tho, first thing he said was, they were way to expensive, and delicate, and I'm like, imma not go further, next time I go there I'll take a pic, it's pretty empty now, but it once was a pretty banger home theater

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Look similar enough i think , they had the mesh info don't, so i didnt take a good look
Similar enough? You don't have them yet? If those are the speakers they actually look pretty good. Maybe even really good. Now I'm curious. I wanna know if those are what you got.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Similar enough? You don't have them yet? If those are the speakers they actually look pretty good. Maybe even really good. Now I'm curious. I wanna know if those are what you got.
Gonna get them on the weekend, since they were attached with a strange mechanism, and seem to require a specific tool, it was already 8 pm so

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Gonna get them on the weekend, since they were attached with a strange mechanism, and seem to require a specific tool, it was already 8 pm so
Gotcha. Let me know when you get them. From what I can find, the speakers in that pic I posted are really pretty good speakers. I'm not sure about the double tweeter configuration, but I spose JBL know what they're doing. You might have just scored some pretty sweet speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmm... "THX certified" got me looking at specs and as I suspected, they only go down to 70 hz and meant to be crossed over to a sub. So they're great speakers but not a lot of bass.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Hmm... "THX certified" got me looking at specs and as I suspected, they only go down to 70 hz and meant to be crossed over to a sub. So they're great speakers but not a lot of bass.
Humn, i don't have a crossover dial on my sub, so i hope just the LFE crossover point is fine
(That is, if i get my sub working)

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I guess that also implies they really are movie focused, not so much music right, at least, not so much bass heavy music, might be good for some jazz

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess that also implies they really are movie focused, not so much music right, at least, not so much bass heavy music, might be good for some jazz
I would say they're equally competent for music as they are HT, but to get that THX rating they had to cut off some of the bass. LFE crossover should be just fine tho. If you have a sub then for sure I'd use them up front with a minimum 80 hz crossover, or even a bit higher. Whichever sounds best.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They weigh about 21 lbs each ... and the bass will really fall after 80 hz ... test them both ways and see what you prefer ... many prefer that the front speakers be larger than the surround speakers.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
They weigh about 21 lbs each ... and the bass will really fall after 80 hz ... test them both ways and see what you prefer ... many prefer that the front speakers be larger than the surround speakers.
They are double the size of my current mains, lmao

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Current mains are Sony SS MSP88s. Peuga is working with limited options and limited funds. I think those HTIFs will be the star of the show if crossed over to a sub.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Well, my sub is on a repair shop, i wanted to try them out on the spot, so i could rule out the possible problems, but they were like, we can't do that, we are to occupied, leave it here and wait 5 to 10 days for an evaluation, but i wouldn't leave my receiver there, so i just left the sub, if they say the sub is fine, then it's probly me being dumb some way or another when hooking up, or something on the remote, i still don't have access to

If they say it's fine, I'm gonna try again to make hem test it on the spot, so we can decide if it's something that requires rapair, or just some dumb option, like, the sub being designated to the 2nd zone or something,

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Current mains are Sony SS MSP88s. Peuga is working with limited options and limited funds. I think those HTIFs will be the star of the show if crossed over to a sub.
They will need to go up front ... and they will have some bass

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
I'll ask him to lend me his center speaker, once my new glasses arrive so i can watch the best version possible to me of my favorite film, which never came out on our theaters, but even if he said i could stay with it for longer, i wouldn't have the space for it

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis