Monitor Audio Bronze 200 vs. Klipsch RF-6000F

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
I think on-axis hotness would be helped merely by being below the screen/ear level.

But you make a good point regarding the specific peculiarities of the Hsu speakers placement/orientation, and concerning more than just the center. The time/intensity trading that the Hsus are designed to achieve really does work, but the axis of the L and R needs to cross well in front of the mlp, which means much more toe in than what is conventional, and an odd looking setup to folks unused to seeing the outside aspects of their main speakers. (Big sweet spots and very stable imaging are worthy trades for odd looks in this case.)
I wonder, since it has a coaxial design (and since there Is no “upright” to the CCB-8 and works the same if you set it on it’s side,) if one could, instead of “toe in” 15 degrees from the listener, instead point it at the listener but tilt down 15 degrees...?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Would you consider getting the Denon 3700 and bumping the speaker budget a little? I don't think you get that much more with the 4700 you'd actually need that you wouldn't get with the 3700.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I wonder, since it has a coaxial design (and since there Is no “upright” to the CCB-8 and works the same if you set it on it’s side,) if one could, instead of “toe in” 15 degrees from the listener, instead point it at the listener but tilt down 15 degrees...?
If you use any kind of automated room correction equalization, it would temper the response in favor of the EQ target response. I wouldn't worry about the on-axis response from the tweeter. You can also just look at the response and manually apply a shelf filter that takes down everything above 10kHz by about 4 or 5 dB. Or you can just angle it a bit so that it doesn't face the listening position directly, like angle it upwards. Angling it down a bit would work too, especially if the floor is carpeted or has a rug,

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Would you consider getting the Denon 3700 and bumping the speaker budget a little? I don't think you get that much more with the 4700 you'd actually need that you wouldn't get with the 3700.
I could do the 3700....I could also just pony up another $500 if I had to. Why? Whadya have in mind?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I could do the 3700....I could also just pony up another $500 if I had to. Why? Whadya have in mind?
Nothing off the top of my head, just another angle for you to look at it from. With a bigger budget you can shop for better speakers. So maybe switch gears, reconfigure the budget and you might be able to get the next step up in speakers.

PS: Money saved on the receiver plus another $500 might just put you in the next bracket for speakers. What's the next step up for Monitor Audio? Silver? I've heard pretty good things about MA's Silver series. I'm unfamiliar with pricing tho. Is it a big jump? Might put you in decent KEF territory too if looking at concentric speakers.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can get a pair of Monitor Audio Silver 200s for $1648/pr at Crutchfield.

A worthy step up from Bronze. Now, the HSU CCB8s are very good speakers from everything I've seen so I don't think you'd be unhappy with them either. Maybe @ryanosaur can pop in and comment on the MAs. I know he was pretty taken with the MA Silvers, but he was shopping further up the line too. There are more options in that price range too that deserve a look as well.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
3-way towers and 3-way center (W-T/M-W) for the win. OP doesn't want to use a 2-way standmount at Center; presumably a matching tower would be right out, too, so... that narrows any options I would recommend down.

To your question, the newer Bronze Series seems to have met with some praise and is supposed to be a step up from the previous iteration. Current line of Silvers are very solid, but I'm highly biased to the two bigger towers and the 3-way center.
At that pricepoint, I felt that there was not much else that could best them for what I had the ability to easily audition. Going above a pair of Silver 500s in cost led down a path of studying the point of diminishing returns, IMO. *shrugs...
YMMV

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Anyone familiar with the Warfedale Evo 4.4? At the cusp of my price range but doable.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
I think I’m going to to with the HSU Hybrid 15 3.1 CCB-8 package for the front, then a Hybrid 2.1 package for the rear. That’ll give me the CCB-8s for left, right and center, 2 HB-1s for the rear, and 2 VTF-15H MK2s all for $3778 plus shipping. Then 4 HSU in-walls for the ceiling.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think I’m going to to with the HSU Hybrid 15 3.1 CCB-8 package for the front, then a Hybrid 2.1 package for the rear. That’ll give me the CCB-8s for left, right and center, 2 HB-1s for the rear, and 2 VTF-15H MK2s all for $3778 plus shipping. Then 4 HSU in-walls for the ceiling.
That's gonna be a bangin' system.

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Have fun! I've had the CCB-8s in 2.1 for over 2 yrs.
1) Yes, time-intensity trading does work. When correctly set up with extreme toe-in the sweet spot is indeed huge. The other day I was standing ~10 ft off to the left of the MLP in my adjacent dining area and I could still hear a solid phantom center and stereo image locked between front L/R. Dialogue was still crisp, palpable, and intelligible from that angle. But they sound best within about a 7/8-ft-wide sweet spot in my room.
2) They're incredibly dynamic. In my 2.1 system and 19.5x15x8 room (about the same size as yours), run full range with an old 250 w/ch Bryston 4B ST amp, they won't distort at volumes louder than I can tolerate.
3) Imaging is precise and palpable, and on the right recording or movie the soundstage wraps around to the sides of my room. In the helicopter-battle scene in Kong: Skull Island sound FX were coming from the sides--and I only have front L/Rs. On orchestral music they'll accurately telegraph the hall acoustics with a wide, deep, and tall layered soundstage.
4) A little tilting will tame any on-axis brightness. At first they were a little bright even on 36"-high stands, as my sofa seats higher than average. I simply tilted them up slightly to solve the problem. You can easily do this with wedged rubber door stops or rubber erasers cut into wedges, all secured with Blu Tak or Quake Hold museum putty.

Last edited:
J

JengaHit

Audioholic
One last thing...I don't notice any difference in SQ with the grills on or off, so if the CCB-8's yellow cones are too bright for you or your wife, just keep the grill covers on. I do.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
FYI, HSU has discontinued the HB-1 MK2 bookshelf speaker in Rosenut. only available now in Satin Black. A little bit of a bummer.

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Just got the 3 CCB-8s in Rosenut delivered today. I guess the ULS-15 sub will be delivered tomorrow. The Rosenut CCB-8s are BEAUTIFUL!!

Mhkpilot

Mhkpilot

Audioholic Intern
Pics or it didn't happen!
Ha! Man. I repacked it all up. The sub is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll take pics of it and one of the CCB-8s. Man. The Rosenut finish. Hard to beat. Will post pics in the next day or 2.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Ha! Man. I repacked it all up. The sub is supposed to be delivered tomorrow. I’ll take pics of it and one of the CCB-8s. Man. The Rosenut finish. Hard to beat. Will post pics in the next day or 2.
Living the dream haha wish I could get another 15” sub , unfortunately my parents don’t understand audio I’m using two boomy low end 10” I’d rather use 12 or 15 much clearer bass . They probably would say no even when I get enough money ..

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis