Sony da9000es, 2nd zone on will stay on on stabdby, and some extra troubleshooting

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Hello my folks over at the audiophile community, gonna start by saying I'm really no audiophile, even if I find interest in the topic, today I'm here to ask if someone happens to know how do I disable the 2nd and 3rd zones on my Sony da9000es receiver, since even after putting it on standby it keeps the 2nd zone on, generating considerable heat, and potently consuming power.
Gonna take the chance to ask for tips in making my sub work, I've bought a coaxial cable and connected it to the pre out of my receiver, enabled 3.1 on easy setup, and tried doing the normal setup, as well, both show that the LFE signal is being played back, but my sub won't move a single inch of air, I'm planning to take my sub along with the cable to a repair shop to decide if the problem is the cable the sub or the receiver, but if possible, I'd like to know things to try, to avoid the hassle
Sub model is the SA WP780
Thx everyone in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just turn zone 2 and 3 off before you turn main zone off....

As to the sub, it doesn't need to move an inch (and may not be capable of such). Does the cone vibrate at all when you put your fingers to it if you can't hear it? Try another cable would be a good move for a new sub, if its a used sub do you know it actually works?

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Just turn zone 2 and 3 off before you turn main zone off....

As to the sub, it doesn't need to move an inch (and may not be capable of such). Does the cone vibrate at all when you put your fingers to it if you can't hear it? Try another cable would be a good move for a new sub, if its a used sub do you know it actually works?
If i touch the prong of the cable on the outer housing, it humbles, so the speaker probly works, and no, the sub just makes nothing at all.
As for the zones, the whole problem is that i can't figure out for my life how to turn them off, considering i have no access to the remote controller

Edit:it's technically used, by my family 10 years ago, lmao, it's been sitting for a while, so is the receiver, I wonder if it would be good to do some maintenance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Okay so the sub can make noise, maybe you haven't enabled it's use in the avr? Or the level is set incorrectly? Maybe not using a sound mode that can utilize the sub? Speakers set to small or large (use bass management or use speakers full band)? I'd hope there's a panel control for zone power. Have you RTFM for this unit? :) You could perhaps get a Harmony remote and use their internet database to enable it if you cant find another for this unit. I think there are panel controls you can use, tho....

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Okay so the sub can make noise, maybe you haven't enabled it's use in the avr? Or the level is set incorrectly? Maybe not using a sound mode that can utilize the sub? Speakers set to small or large (use bass management or use speakers full band)? I'd hope there's a panel control for zone power. Have you RTFM for this unit? :) You could perhaps get a Harmony remote and use their internet database to enable it if you cant find another for this unit. I think there are panel controls you can use, tho....
I enabled it on The avr both in the easy setup way, by saying it's a 3.1 setup, and on the normal setup, by changing the subwoofer area to [yes], both enable the LFE signal, when I set my speaker to direct, it detects multi channel audio automatically, and plays it correctly on the R center and L, as well as displaying that the LFE signal is being played, but with no activity from the sub, speakers are set to small, don't know what's bass management or speakers full band, don't remember seing anything about zone power, only thing regarding zones on the configuration is a cis, which I'm not quite sure what's stands for, and the only mention of zone are for especifying the inputs, what's RTFM.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I enabled it on The avr both in the easy setup way, by saying it's a 3.1 setup, and on the normal setup, by changing the subwoofer area to [yes], both enable the LFE signal, when I set my speaker to direct, it detects multi channel audio automatically, and plays it correctly on the R center and L, as well as displaying that the LFE signal is being played, but with no activity from the sub, speakers are set to small, don't know what's bass management or speakers full band, don't remember seing anything about zone power, only thing regarding zones on the configuration is a cis, which I'm not quite sure what's stands for, and the only mention of zone are for especifying the inputs, what's RTFM.
Have you also follow instructions on page 31?
Also, apparently that sub has a volume know, may be it was set too low?

1619179685952.png

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Have you also follow instructions on page 31?
Also, apparently that sub has a volume know, may be it was set too low?

View attachment 46951
I've been trying to use the sub on the multi channel mode, with native .1 signal, the receiver did was fully recognizing the dolby digital signal, and stating it as a 3/2.1 signal, which is 5.1, which has LFE signal, which was showing as being played on the visualizer, also yeah, I've testing it with the volume nob turned to the max

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been trying to use the sub on the multi channel mode, with native .1 signal, also yeah, I've testing it with the volume nob turned to the max
If in multi channel mode and you are sure the contents include the LFE channel then something is wrong but a reset to factory default may fix it. The good thing about the 9000ES is that you can still download the manuals, even the service manuals and it is built like a tank that should last for many years.

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
If in multi channel mode and you are sure the contents include the LFE channel then something is wrong but a reset to factory default may fix it. The good thing about the 9000ES is that you can still download the manuals, even the service manuals and it is built like a tank that should last for many years.
Yes, i assured it's 5.1 content, and the LFE visualizer on the receiver shows that there's LFE activity, I've also given a proper look on the manual, tried both things on page 21 and 27 i believe, neither worked.
If you happen to know how I reset it to factory defaults, I'd appreciate it

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Not sure if this would initialize the processor but I will reset all settings to factory default conditions. After returning it to factory default settings at least then you know it is not due to some setting messed up and go stuck somehow. It could still be something wrong with the sub woofer and the interconnect cable, have you tried another cable yet?

1619181383083.png

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic
Not sure if this would initialize the processor but I will reset all settings to factory default conditions. After returning it to factory default settings at least then you know it is not due to some setting messed up and go stuck somehow. It could still be something wrong with the sub woofer and the interconnect cable, have you tried another cable yet?

View attachment 46952
the kit i got were 2 coaxial cables for automotive applications, so it came with 2 digital coaxial cables, i tried both, neither worked, but if i touched thr prong of the cable on the outer housing if the connector it would humble, gonna try resetting it later tho

peuga

peuga

Full Audioholic

View attachment 46952
Well, that sucks, i don't have access to the remote
20210423_114322.jpg

Any ideas?

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Looking thru the Sony's operting instructions/manual some seems that front panel doesn't have but indicators rather than manual control, you need the remote for most things, dang. The remote (Sony RM-TP2 per the manual) I don't see for sale particularly. Might think about a Harmony remote....and since they just announced they're discontinuing sale of remotes, I'd think about grabbing one now (they're supposedly going to keep the database going). Hopefully you can do the memory clearing/reset to resolve for now....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis