Are These Finds Good Deals?

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Drove 50 minutes to get them ... Drove 50 minutes coming home ... Paradigm Monitor Atom V6 in like new condition, use to list for $398 a pair ... now the price I paid was $50 ... and yes they do sound good

1619140769137.png

1619140824682.png

1619140871737.png

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Any experience with that series of Energy (or any other Energy lines?)?
I used to own RC-30s and RC-10s. Great looking speakers for the price, but IMO highly over-rated for sound quality.

My Ascend Sierra-1s easily beat both of them in quick-switched, level-matched A/B testing.

Even the older Energy C-3 easily beat the RC-10s in head-to-head listening comparisons. But the RCs did look nicer to me.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Yea, I do not like dented speaker drivers, but masking tape can help ... the RC-70 speakers had a retail list of $2000 a pair, but $650 would not be a bad price
They did originally retail for $2000/pair, but they were closed out at half that.

Then Fry's started selling them for something like $800/pair, and then they (Fry's) closed them out at $400/pair.

So $650 is still too high.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own RC-30s and RC-10s. Great looking speakers for the price, but IMO highly over-rated for sound quality.

My Ascend Sierra-1s easily beat both of them in quick-switched, level-matched A/B testing.

Even the older Energy C-3 easily beat the RC-10s in head-to-head listening comparisons. But the RCs did look nicer to me.
Think it was more the upper end of the line I heard the better things about, but hard to know how much that meant. I love my Sierra-1s (and have had them both with original and NrT tweets). Never had anything but the Take 5 from Energy, tho.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I see Paradigm speakers with those drivers a lot out here, but usually overpriced. $50 is a pretty sweet deal for those.
And they are better than the Energy C-100 speaker ... and clearly better than the original Paradigm Performance series Atom and Titan speakers ... and I like them better than the Q Acoustics 3020 and 3020i speakers that I use to own.

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
And they are better than the Energy C-100 speaker ... and clearly better than the original Paradigm Performance series Atom and Titan speakers ... and I like them better than the Q Acoustics 3020 and 3020i speakers that I use to own.
Hopefully one day I can find their speakers at the thrift store. Glad you u like em. Are the highs/mids good? I like my clarity as you know.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, $50 for a V6 is a great buy.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hopefully one day I can find their speakers at the thrift store. Glad you u like em. Are the highs/mids good? I like my clarity as you know.
The highs are not good in the original performance series ... and I would skip the V5 series where some say they are too hot, and the word is they brought out the V6 series to fix that ... while having a slight rise in the upper frequencies, the V6 Atoms have good definition and detail with no harsh, blaring or grating frequency response ...

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Question, for all the extra bookshelves you guys get cheap, do you have a place for them or do you just enjoy trying different speakers at time and store them after that? If you look at it $50 is probably worth the entertainment value even if you don't use them for your everyday setup. I guess that's why bookshelves are good as they are easy to store! Towers a little harder.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Yep but prices on ones that are in better shape I've seen are higher. I picked up a pair of 4311Bs a couple years ago with dented cones but not a huge deal....but brought a smile to my face as I grew up with the JBL sound and never did get the L100s I originally debated vs Advent Originals. :)
If I had a big audio room my dream "classic" speaker would be the JBL L300 Summit. For those that have never seen these, that is a 15" woofer! It's the consumer version of one of their studio monitors of the era. These are big, but man, did they ever sound sweet. Hearing these for the first time is what got me started on my hi-fi kick. They can still be found now and then but still pretty expensive.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Question, for all the extra bookshelves you guys get cheap, do you have a place for them or do you just enjoy trying different speakers at time and store them after that? If you look at it $50 is probably worth the entertainment value even if you don't use them for your everyday setup. I guess that's why bookshelves are good as they are easy to store! Towers a little harder.
It is a fun hobby just to explore ... some sales work out and I use them for a while ... if they do not work out, then I put them up for sale ... but also I do resale a lot of speakers so that I can explore more.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The highs are not good in the original performance series ... and I would skip the V5 series where some say they are too hot, and the word is they brought out the V6 series to fix that ... while having a slight rise in the upper frequencies, the V6 Atoms have good definition and detail with no harsh, blaring or grating frequency response ...
Awesomeness then I'd really like em. Hopefully I'll run into some good speakers. Nothing worthy in the thrift or CL lately in my area. Glad you ran into some good deals.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
If I had a big audio room my dream "classic" speaker would be the JBL L300 Summit. For those that have never seen these, that is a 15" woofer! It's the consumer version of one of their studio monitors of the era. These are big, but man, did they ever sound sweet. Hearing these for the first time is what got me started on my hi-fi kick. They can still be found now and then but still pretty expensive.
Seen a mint pair go on eBay for close to 5 grand with extra glass tops in the deal. I’ve herd them in a jbl store in Columbus Ohio many years ago . I bought a pair of L-100’s there but later sold them , I’ve always wanted to do a home theater setup useing nothing but vintage jbl useing Summit’s as the main front bedlayer .

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
A lot of info on the Summits on Vintage Hi-Fi Club. They even show the horn and tweeter construction. Some photos that also show their relative size.
http://www.vintagehificlub.com/quick-informations/jbl-l-300-summit/
That’s pretty neat showing the cut away of these I never knew the high frequency driver looked like that either. They are definitely large kind of interested in the photo with the much larger towers beside these I’ve never seen them before they are nice looking too . I see parts for the summit’s on eBay every once in awhile top Glass , drivers and occasional crossovers too .

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis