What are you watching tonight?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I watched Zack Snyder's Justice League last night. I liked it a lot except the epilogue. Some scenes seemed a bit long but I found it more coherent than the theatrical cut.
Four hours? Wow, a long haul.
What is it on?

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
I watched Zack Snyder's Justice League last night. I liked it a lot except the epilogue. Some scenes seemed a bit long but I found it more coherent than the theatrical cut.
Agree. Much more coherent and less truncated than the Joss Whedon-finished theatrical cut. Characters have more depth and story makes more sense, less cartoony and cardboard. It's really a total rework. The epilogue is obviously setting up for a JL sequel. And yes, long at 4 hrs, but you have to treat it more like a mini-series.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
Hoping this gets released on disc/physical media; there's been some talk.

I read that some are being put off by the 4:3-esque shape of Snyder's aspect ratio choice in this, which was originally formatted for IMAX presentations...

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Hoping this gets released on disc/physical media; there's been some talk.

I read that some are being put off by the 4:3-esque shape of Snyder's aspect ratio choice in this, which was originally formatted for IMAX presentations...
4:3 surprised me at first. There's a pre-credits card that announces 4:3 was Snyder's creative vision. But as the story progressed and absorbed me, I forgot about it.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
What do you mean "no disk"?
That is what showed in the BD oppo, no disc. Tried other BD and CD, still no disk was displayed. Next day when I took the cover off, no sound that it was spinning even with my ear on the reader as Oppo calls it. Bought a replacement as I like that Oppo, front and rear hdmi input and usb as well, two hdmi out, one video, one audio and that is how the receiver is set up.

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
4:3 surprised me at first. There's a pre-credits card that announces 4:3 was Snyder's creative vision. But as the story progressed and absorbed me, I forgot about it.
Yeah; I was forced to learn how to live with the pillarboxing (side bars) for 4:3 content played on a 16:9 display because our Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player doesn't allow for any manipulation of the aspect ratio output (it's locked in widescreen only) or stretching of 4:3 DVD content (like the Oppos do).

This is a weird presentation for the Snyder cut, though; it supposedly plays back in a full screen-esque format, yet he intended it to be shown at an IMAX ratio, which would, normally, be a screen-filling aspect (as seen in films like the last Mission: Impossible and the Chris Nolan Dark Knight films following Batman Begins).

Kaskade89052

Kaskade89052

Audioholic Samurai
That is what showed in the BD oppo, no disc. Tried other BD and CD, still no disk was displayed. Next day when I took the cover off, no sound that it was spinning even with my ear on the reader as Oppo calls it. Bought a replacement as I like that Oppo, front and rear hdmi input and usb as well, two hdmi out, one video, one audio and that is how the receiver is set up.
Oh....I didn't know that you were referring to what the player was saying on the display....

J

JengaHit

Audioholic
Yeah; I was forced to learn how to live with the pillarboxing (side bars) for 4:3 content played on a 16:9 display because our Panasonic UHD Blu-ray player doesn't allow for any manipulation of the aspect ratio output (it's locked in widescreen only) or stretching of 4:3 DVD content (like the Oppos do).

This is a weird presentation for the Snyder cut, though; it supposedly plays back in a full screen-esque format, yet he intended it to be shown at an IMAX ratio, which would, normally, be a screen-filling aspect (as seen in films like the last Mission: Impossible and the Chris Nolan Dark Knight films following Batman Begins).
It is a shame we probably won't see it on the big IMAX screen. But apparently IMAX film aspect ratio (1.43:1) is actually closer to 4:3 (or 1.33:1) than scope (2.39:1) or HD (1.77:1), so showing the home version in 4:3 avoided more cropping that would have been required if they had opted for a widescreen presentation; it's actually closer to the ratio it was shot in. This is according to Snyder's wife and producing partner, Deborah Snyder. The details are explained in this link, though I think the author is overstating the aesthetic power of 4:3 for Snyder's vision. (Of course, this all would be moot if Snyder had shot the film in scope ratio, instead of IMAX, to begin with.)

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
One of my favorite movies when I was a kid. RIP George Segal. Haven't seen it in a long time. Will watch this week. Classic.
_20210325_001116.JPG

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis