Which Speaker to Choose?

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
I recently upgraded my subwoofers (with tremendous help from this thread). It is now time to replace my aging Infinity ILs (IL40s f, IL36C, IL30s r). Due to the design of my room I have roughly 19" from the front of the face of the front speakers to the wall. The front speakers I have been considering are:
Obviously these are vastly different speakers (and ones that I will not be able to demo) but I am wondering if the deep speakers with rear-facing ports will run into issues when places 'close' to the wall. Am I overthinking this or is it a valid concern?

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The general rule of thumb is that rear ports should be placed a minimum of twice the diameter from the wall. More is better with a generally agreed upon 18" from back-of-speaker-to-wall (standoff) distance being a good place to be, if possible.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I recently upgraded my subwoofers (with tremendous help from this thread). It is now time to replace my aging Infinity ILs (IL40s f, IL36C, IL30s r). Due to the design of my room I have roughly 19" from the front of the face of the front speakers to the wall. The front speakers I have been considering are:
Obviously these are vastly different speakers (and ones that I will not be able to demo) but I am wondering if the deep speakers with rear-facing ports will run into issues when places 'close' to the wall. Am I overthinking this or is it a valid concern?
Rear-ported speakers may load the bass a bit more through boundary gain. I don't think it will be an issue, especially if you are going to end up EQing them anyway or if you are going to pair them with a subwoofer.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
For what it's worth, I've listened to all of those speakers but the monoliths and the Paradigm's were my favorite, followed by the KEF's with the Klipsch at the bottom of my list behind at least several other speakers. I also liked the paradigm center channel design the most out of those three.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Go with the speakers that sound best. 18" behind should be sufficient. As Shady mentioned, it may bloat the bass a little, but I am thinking it will be fine too. If not, you can try a little soft material or foam on the wall directly behind the port and/or even toe them slightly to manage it.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Thank you for your replies, I was worried I was overthinking it.

After taking a few measurements I need to nix the Monoliths - they are so large I fear they will dominate the room (physically). The Klipsch are off the list as well (I can't seem to find too many positive reviews).

I've also thought about the SVS Prime Pinnacle Tower. Is pairing this with the Ultra Center a bad idea? (I'd consider SVS Ultra Tower but I think I will run into problems with the side firing woofers and my console/sub setup. I can't move speakers to the outside of the subs right now do to one of my dogs).

PXL_20210210_020354382.MP.jpg

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
For what it's worth, I've listened to all of those speakers but the monoliths and the Paradigm's were my favorite, followed by the KEF's with the Klipsch at the bottom of my list behind at least several other speakers. I also liked the paradigm center channel design the most out of those three.
I really, really like the Paradigm looks (especially the Premier 600C) but my SO isn't wild about the finish (at least from the online photos). I'm hoping I can find them local and demo them.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Where do you feel you're lacking with the Infinity speaker set?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for your replies, I was worried I was overthinking it.

After taking a few measurements I need to nix the Monoliths - they are so large I fear they will dominate the room (physically). The Klipsch are off the list as well (I can't seem to find too many positive reviews).

I've also thought about the SVS Prime Pinnacle Tower. Is pairing this with the Ultra Center a bad idea? (I'd consider SVS Ultra Tower but I think I will run into problems with the side firing woofers and my console/sub setup. I can't move speakers to the outside of the subs right now do to one of my dogs).

View attachment 45532
Pinnacles with Ultra center is fine. SVS speakers are all voiced similarly and can be mix/matched.
Ultra Towers seem to like a lot of breathing room to set up well, and if you chose to go that route, you should consider getting both Subs off the front wall and look for the best strategic placements elsewhere in the room.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Pinnacles with Ultra center is fine. SVS speakers are all voiced similarly and can be mix/matched.
Ultra Towers seem to like a lot of breathing room to set up well, and if you chose to go that route, you should consider getting both Subs off the front wall and look for the best strategic placements elsewhere in the room.
I'm pretty limited with my layout - that isn't an option for me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Honestly - the color (seriously). But, if I'm going to replace them, I'd like a little more 'punch' in the mid range.
LOL yeah aesthetics aren't that important to me. Seemed the choices were more a lateral move....

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Oh, it looks like I can get used 800f or recertified Q950 for the same price.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Oh, it looks like I can get used 800f or recertified Q950 for the same price.
Q950s are pretty solid. I'm not a big KEF fan, but I would take those any day over anything from Klipsch.

If you want a stronger midrange presence, I would urge looking at 3-way towers. Yes, 2-way and 2.5-way can be done well, but a good 3-way should have more even mids.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Q950s are pretty solid. I'm not a big KEF fan, but I would take those any day over anything from Klipsch.

If you want a stronger midrange presence, I would urge looking at 3-way towers. Yes, 2-way and 2.5-way can be done well, but a good 3-way should have more even mids.
The Paradigm Premier 800F?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Paradigm Premier 800F?
Sorry, I thought you were talking the 8000F and left a zero out. *blushes
I can't really speak towards Paradigm as I did not have the opportunity to hear any when I was auditioning a couple years ago.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
Go with the speakers that sound best. 18" behind should be sufficient. As Shady mentioned, it may bloat the bass a little, but I am thinking it will be fine too. If not, you can try a little soft material or foam on the wall directly behind the port and/or even toe them slightly to manage it.
Any suggestions (I have not found much to demo in my area)?

DigitalDawn

DigitalDawn

Senior Audioholic
I highly recommend that you take a look at Triad. They hand-build all their LCRs in Portland, Oregon and their InRoom, InWall, InCeiling and OnWall speakers within a series all sound the same.

Check out the InWall Silver LCR -- It's available in 2 depths: $1,010 each MSRP.

cbecker33

cbecker33

Audioholic
I highly recommend that you take a look at Triad. They hand-build all their LCRs in Portland, Oregon and their InRoom, InWall, InCeiling and OnWall speakers within a series all sound the same.

Check out the InWall Silver LCR -- It's available in 2 depths: $1,010 each MSRP.
InWall is not an option - the wall in the image is an exterior one (in back, so is my back wall). Silver LCR + stands is a better choice than some of the towers listed above?

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I still say for a lateral move just bring your current speakers to be refinished somewhere. It will be a MUCH cheaper lateral move.

Which finish are you looking at for the paradigms? There's gloss black, gloss white, and espresso grain. The espresso grain is a nice looking finish. It's not as obvious as it appears in the photos unless you have your lights on full blast.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis