Noisy neighbours. Would like to return the consideration.

U

ukqq

Enthusiast
I live in an apartment building and the folks living directly underneath me play their music very loud. Speaking to them or resolving it amicably with them or building management has yielded zero results. Moving is not an option at this stage but will do as soon as possible.

I'm a total noob when it comes to speaker set up so would greatly appreciate any help and guidance. I've done a little reading today.

I want to create as much noise as possible without bothering the people above and to the side of me.

I think the most logical choice would be down firing subwoofers? Not attached to this at all just seemed to make most sense?
Can I have just subwoofers? Can I have multiple subwoofers? I don't want other speakers if I don't need them. I think I know that subwoofers won't produce any sound other than low ones and I'm okay with that.
My flooring is tiled. Does that matter or change anything?
Can speakers overheat? I'd want to muffle the sound as much as possible from all directions except down, again I don't want to bother the people around me as much possible, so I'm thinking if I have the subwoofers in large 150-250L upturned containers with blankets stuffed around the subs that may help dampen the sound but got a feeling that might be a fire hazard? So any alternative suggestion to achieve same or similar thing if blankets in containers around subs is stupid?
How would or should I connect them to whatever device is playing the music. This can be whatever works e.g. PC, bluetooth, phone, hifi system etc.
I don't mind if they're wired or wireless. Again whatever works.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You'd likely still bother your neighbors, subs are omni-radiators and bass can travel easily thru walls/ceilings/floors depending on construction of the building. Sounds like your building doesn't have the soundproofing. This kind of revenge isn't a good idea in several ways.

So what dB level is this registering at on a meter? Does your building have noise limits/hours you can get together with management on for action? Is it loud enough or at odd hours so as to get the police involved?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
If the apartment has an external mains fuse for each apartment the manager could quite simply turn off the electricity to stop the loud playing.

U

ukqq

Enthusiast
This kind of revenge isn't a good idea in several ways.
Unfortunately the only other option at this stage is to just put up with it. I've done that for quite a bit time. Don't think I will anymore.

So what dB level is this registering at on a meter? Does your building have noise limits/hours you can get together with management on for action? Is it loud enough or at odd hours so as to get the police involved?
The layout of the building is such that I'm really the only one affected by it, because of that and management being useless they won't do anything about it.
Police have been involved, and several other local government bodies, all no help. All legal avenues have been exhausted. If I annoy them as much as they annoy me might force them to come to the table.
Not sure about dB level, but again don't think it would matter as it seems to only affect me because of the stupid building layout and construction.

U

ukqq

Enthusiast
If the apartment has an external mains fuse for each apartment the manager could quite simply turn off the electricity to stop the loud playing.
unfortunately management is as useless as they are inconsiderate

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well good luck with it. One reason I stopped living in apartment buildings long ago, I had little tolerance for neighbor noises.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
As an ex-apartment dweller, I could tell you right away that you don't need to spend any money at all to pay in kind to your not very cooperative neighbors.
The key phrase is "directly underneath me" - I wonder did ever gotten an urge to rearrange the furniture at 3 am? Do you have a jumping rope? Do you fancy a midnight bowling competition in your apartment?
The possibilities to annoy neighbors BELOW are truly endless. Be creative.
If these ideas aren't inspiring enough, you should also ask folks here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
unfortunately management is as useless as they are inconsiderate
Your property manager has several duties that are required of them- one of the basic ones is making sure the people in their buildings live in peace. Your area should have some kind of noise ordinances- use that to your advantage, but you might want to let the idiots downstairs know that you plan to do this if they don't end the noise.

Unfortunately, people are resorting to violence more easily than they did before COVID, so you might want to get any info about these people WRT criminal history- if they were violent, go another route.

Read your lease- if it has any requirements to avoid making excessive noise, it would apply to all renters because most property managers use boiler plate documents.

This is the reason I never want to live in any kind of apartment building or place where I don't have control over people making noise.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
As an ex-apartment dweller, I could tell you right away that you don't need to spend any money at all to pay in kind to your not very cooperative neighbors.
The key phrase is "directly underneath me" - I wonder did ever gotten an urge to rearrange the furniture at 3 am? Do you have a jumping rope? Do you fancy a midnight bowling competition in your apartment?
The possibilities to annoy neighbors BELOW are truly endless. Be creative.
If these ideas aren't inspiring enough, you should also ask folks here: https://www.reddit.com/r/UnethicalLifeProTips/
Dropping a bowling ball on a piece of plywood followed by "OOPS!" might work, especially if it happens from 7PM until 10PM.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
If it were me I would document the issues over the past and site the violations of policy that are being ignored by management. I would give them a must address by date. Then set stipulations on your recourse if the rules are not enforced. My suggestion is pay a reduced rent or maybe none at all. I you have a lawyer friend that can always help with persuasion. The key is make it formal and professional. Document each time the rules are broken and the requests you have made and get the police documents also. If you end up on court due to owed rent you have a clear explanation of the managers neglect and not respecting your right as a renter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
If it were me I would document the issues over the past and site the violations of policy that are being ignored by management. I would give them a must address by date. Then set stipulations on your recourse if the rules are not enforced. My suggestion is pay a reduced rent or maybe none at all. I you have a lawyer friend that can always help with persuasion. The key is make it formal and professional. Document each time the rules are broken and the requests you have made and get the police documents also. If you end up on court due to owed rent you have a clear explanation of the managers neglect and not respecting your right as a renter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
" not paying full rent* is a dangerous game to play , many local or state govts are very landlord friendly and that's the quick route to eviction...Edit.. I would suggest the op read the landlord tenant laws very carefully...

cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
" not paying full rent* is a dangerous game to play , many local or state govts are very landlord friendly and that's the quick route to eviction...Edit.. I would suggest the op read the landlord tenant laws very carefully...
Agree, not paying the rent will get you evicted, its not worth it. Document, the conversations, the responses of the appt manager, and the tenants that are giving you a headache. And like you noted read the lease agreement carefully. The hassles of appt living.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Most places I have lived were the opposite. Very renter friendly...so who know on that. If they are not following the legal governance to the building and rental contract. They are in the wrong....but that is my opinion. It took me 6 months to evict tenants who did not pay rent. Then once evicted they were given 30 days to vacate. They did not eventually I had to have police throw them out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
In Sweden you would be in trouble for not paying rent just by your own decision, but then there are legal avenues to complain and have reduced rent, even retroactively.

Edit: Grammar, I hope

Last edited:
Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Most places I have lived were the opposite. Very renter friendly...so who know on that. If they are not following the legal governance to the building and rental contract. They are in the wrong....but that is my opinion. It took me 6 months to evict tenants who did not pay rent. Then once evicted they were given 30 days to vacate. They did not eventually I had to have police throw them out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
His point is valid, though: Verify what you legally can do as a renter.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Than there is aways Sabotage! I have had to use it a time or two living in apartments, Works very well.:D

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
sam
In Sweden you would be in trouble for not paying rent just by your own decision, but then there are legal avenues to complain and have reduced rent, even retroactively.

Edit: Grammar, I hope
same here, there are ways to settle disputes , breaking a signed contract is always a bad idea when you don't have #f.u. type money.. people like billionaires get away with it , the rest of us end up wishing we hadn't done it..

T

TankTop5

Audioholic General
To answer the op’s question directly, a subwoofer playing 80db infrasonic (under 20hz) may pressurize your neighbors apartment more than your own depending on building construction. An HSU VTF3 MK5 is the answer you’re seeking using a 16hz sine wave. Just turn it on and go out of town for the weekend, when you return they will have moved. There will be no sound per se, their eardrums will just feel like they’re in an airplane rapidly changing altitude and everything in their apartment will have a subtle vibration.

L

lp85253

Audioholic Chief
To answer the op’s question directly, a subwoofer playing 80db infrasonic (under 20hz) may pressurize your neighbors apartment more than your own depending on building construction. An HSU VTF3 MK5 is the answer you’re seeking using a 16hz sine wave. Just turn it on and go out of town for the weekend, when you return they will have moved. There will be no sound per se, their eardrums will just feel like they’re in an airplane rapidly changing altitude and everything in their apartment will have a subtle vibration.
now that's solving a problem.. as long as it stays sub-sonic...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis