OLED recommendation and eArc question

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Kind of depends......CRT burn-in is certainly one of the items to check for grading and pricing on vintage arcade games today. Think of health banners in fighting games and such.
Which is why I wrote far less prone to burn-in :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Worst burn-in I ever saw was on my roommate's rear projection CRT. Glowing red blobs in each lower corner....

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Worst burn-in I ever saw was on my roommate's rear projection CRT. Glowing red blobs in each lower corner....
Sounds like when I found out unshielded speakers would cause fun things to happen with a CRT. Mine never was normal after "the incident".

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sounds like when I found out unshielded speakers would cause fun things to happen with a CRT. Mine never was normal after "the incident".
I did get some interference from speakers with that tv, too. The red was from ESPN/CNN I think.

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
My CRT TV survived that incident all those years ago, but it sure looked funny and I thought for a moment that it was broken.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You could often recover magnetized CRTs with a degauss device.

Oh man, fun times!

We still have some CRTs at work, as the way a CRT functions is integral to how the instrument analyzes and displays samples. It really is an interesting old technology. And, think about how long CRT was the ONLY TV tech that was available! It had a loooooong lifetime.

I sometimes wish I still had a CRT, simply to play vintage games in the exact way they were designed to be viewed......but then I think about how big those things were and maybe that isn't such a good idea.

And, light gun games only work on CRT tech! There are a couple of modern options that let you play such games on modern TVs, but it is more of a workaround.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
You could often recover magnetized CRTs with a degauss device.

Oh man, fun times!

We still have some CRTs at work, as the way a CRT functions is integral to how the instrument analyzes and displays samples. It really is an interesting old technology. And, think about how long CRT was the ONLY TV tech that was available! It had a loooooong lifetime.

I sometimes wish I still had a CRT, simply to play vintage games in the exact way they were designed to be viewed......but then I think about how big those things were and maybe that isn't such a good idea.

And, light gun games only work on CRT tech! There are a couple of modern options that let you play such games on modern TVs, but it is more of a workaround.
We found out that that the 55" rear projection CRT 1080i TV we had in college worked with light gun games. Fun times. That thing was HEAVY.

CRTs have their place and will forever, but the size just ruined it for them. Same with plasma being so heavy and hot.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
We found out that that the 55" rear projection CRT 1080i TV we had in college worked with light gun games. Fun times. That thing was HEAVY.

CRTs have their place and will forever, but the size just ruined it for them. Same with plasma being so heavy and hot.
Yup, and I have been missing light gun games the last several years!

There are 2 techs that work on the new TVs. The most common uses IR sensors or cameras. One of these has an IR bar at the TV and is the same fundamental tech as a Wiimote. The other uses a camera that sees the TV screen, and the blasters shoot an IR beam at the screen. The disadvantages of these are that you need the extra peripheral device, and if you move positions during play or pass the gun to the next player, then you have to recalibrate the gun each time.

The newest tech, the camera is in the lightgun itself, and the required software adds a thin white border around the playfield image. The camera uses an algorithm based on the white border image to aim accurately. The advantage of this is that you don't have to recalibrate when you change player positions. But, this one is still on Indiegogo. I placed my order at the beginning of Feb, and expect to have my product at the end of March. But, many batches of product have gone out, and the tech is legit.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis