M

Makai19

Enthusiast
New here guys and would appreciate a little advice on a new build.

I am almost complete on the framing of my basement, which means electric and speaker wire is next, so I’m trying to plan.
Plan so far:
SVS Prime towers (on the way already)
SVS Ultra for center
RSLs in ceiling for Atmos
Denon X3700 OR Marantz 5014/15
Subs - still tbd
Surrounds - help please.
In the space below I want 2 rows of theater seating with a bar top and bar stools behind the 2nd row. Second row will be on a platform.
Thinking 5.2.4 system is best in my space but have no issue going 7.2.4 if I could figure out rear surround.
thanks in advance!
AB98743C-B1AF-4C7B-87ED-C67FD6F6BBF2.jpeg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm not gonna touch on everything, but did you consider the Prime Pinnacles? I think they're a nice step up from Prime and would be closer in performance to the Ultra center.

The 3700 over the 5015 for sure. The 3700 is more in the same league as the SR6015 for performance and features. Denon and Marantz are owned by the same group and share a lot of the same tech, features and parts. Marantz just tends to be priced higher. The 3700 also has a better version of Audyssey with XT32 over the 5015 with XT.

You can just stay with SVS for surround speakers. Their Prime series speakers are more than acceptable for surround speakers and they have a couple of different sizes. I think you can get away with some smaller surround speakers. The front 3 are gonna be what counts the most. That's why I'm nudging you toward the Pinnacles.

The size of your room is what will determine sub choice. Again, SVS is a great sub company. There's also HSU, Powersound Audio, Rythmik and a few others I'm forgetting. At this point with your speaker choices already with SVS I'll bet you can finagle a package deal. I love SVS, they're a great company.

Last edited:
M

Makai19

Enthusiast
Thank you for the response. I’ll keep my eye out for Denon on sale over the next several weeks.
My SVS prime towers showed up today. I did really struggle with the decision on Primes vs Pinnacle but I have to tell ya - everything I’ve read....everything says spend money on a center and subs. I actually unboxed the speakers and hooked them into my family room Yamaha and I have to tell you I loved them. My family room has all in ceiling and is 5.1. I had it installed when I built the house 3-1/2 years ago and there was so many other things to think about I didn’t go all out on that one knowing one day I would build a theater.
Anyway....I think I will use the SVS satellites as rears and go with a 7 speaker surround. Thinking about flaunce bipoles for side surrounds. I know they won’t match the SVS’s but I believe it will be ok. I don’t want to spend $1,000 on SVS ultra bipole speakers and I kinda think bipoles will be best considering multiple rows knowing I will have atmos in ceiling.

Now for subs. I like the thought of 2 HSU 15’s parked under the screen in the front of the room. I may prewire for one in the back along the long wall but it would be behind couches. If I ever decided on another location I could add a spot outside the furnace room easily.

One other thought....what about a massive PSA 3612 (double stack) with the box recessed into the furnace room firing toward the long 32’ wall situated in front of the first row of theater seats?????? Anyone have a comment on that?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Thank you for the response. I’ll keep my eye out for Denon on sale over the next several weeks.
My SVS prime towers showed up today. I did really struggle with the decision on Primes vs Pinnacle but I have to tell ya - everything I’ve read....everything says spend money on a center and subs. I actually unboxed the speakers and hooked them into my family room Yamaha and I have to tell you I loved them. My family room has all in ceiling and is 5.1. I had it installed when I built the house 3-1/2 years ago and there was so many other things to think about I didn’t go all out on that one knowing one day I would build a theater.
Anyway....I think I will use the SVS satellites as rears and go with a 7 speaker surround. Thinking about flaunce bipoles for side surrounds. I know they won’t match the SVS’s but I believe it will be ok. I don’t want to spend $1,000 on SVS ultra bipole speakers and I kinda think bipoles will be best considering multiple rows knowing I will have atmos in ceiling.

Now for subs. I like the thought of 2 HSU 15’s parked under the screen in the front of the room. I may prewire for one in the back along the long wall but it would be behind couches. If I ever decided on another location I could add a spot outside the furnace room easily.

One other thought....what about a massive PSA 3612 (double stack) with the box recessed into the furnace room firing toward the long 32’ wall situated in front of the first row of theater seats?????? Anyone have a comment on that?
As far as the PSA’s in the furnace room, I’d say pass. Since you have no idea what the response will be from that location. Could be great, could have terrible FR. AND, it’s possible you’d notice the pressure waves from one side and could be distracting and annoying. Worst part is, you won’t be able to move them to a better spot. They’re good subs for sure though.
I definitely disagree with bipole surrounds, with the exception of a narrow room, such as yours. In that case, it does make sense. Or with multiple rows. You might consider a pair of monopoles for each row with a preout splitter and separate amps for one of the rows. Bipoles would be simpler. But meh.
As for the Ultra surrounds? I agree there too. I’m not impressed, and they seem like BS, in that they’re supposed to create an actual “pair” of rear surrounds. No thanks.
Btw, congratulations on the primes! That’s exciting.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
Thanks! Trying to figure out how to put one of those PSA monsters in would have been cool but like you said, I'm pretty limited.

So guys - ~$2,500 budget for subs - what say you? Pair of HSU's for $2,100 (shipped) when they get back in stock? PB3000? would squeak a little over that at $2,700 but maybe I can find a return deal or something between now and when I would need them. Others to consider?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks! Trying to figure out how to put one of those PSA monsters in would have been cool but like you said, I'm pretty limited.

So guys - ~$2,500 budget for subs - what say you? Pair of HSU's for $2,100 (shipped) when they get back in stock? PB3000? would squeak a little over that at $2,700 but maybe I can find a return deal or something between now and when I would need them. Others to consider?
You are going ported for subs, right? I don't think you need to look much further than HSU, bang for buck. I have a pair of VTF-3 MK5s in a big room and they loaf most of the time, but when the situation demands it they can slam the room easily.

For strictly home theater I would say the advice you got is sound, beefing up your center channel and subwoofage. If you were listening to music also that's where I'd lean on you a little harder for the Pinnacles. Home theater? You're pretty set with Prime towers. I'll defer to Bill on the dipole/bipole thing. Me personally I just go with monopole speakers for surround duty. I don't have a dedicated theater room with row seating tho. It's just a modest 5.1 in my living room and pulls music duty as well.

So far I think you're off to a good start and asking great questions.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I still have a couple months till hardware gets installed. Just met a drywall guy today for a bid....ouch. That’s the only part I’m subbing out though so all in I’m going to be in pretty good shape.

You have all need extremely helpful so far. I’m thinking 120” Silver Ticket fixed screen in 16:9 format. Any reason to consider anything else?

Any recommendations for a projector in the $1,500 range? Benq 850 maybe or Epson 4010? Any others?

Cpt.America

Cpt.America

Full Audioholic
Surrounds - help please.
If I were you, I would run the pair of prime towers you just bought as your surround speakers, and either buy a pair of Ultras, or Prime pinnacles for your LR.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
You guys have been great, so I thought I would provide a bit of an update.

I ended up buying a Denon 4300 from Accessories 4 less - I am going to run a 2 channel amp, likely for the rear surrounds, just so I can have all 4 Atmos coming from the receiver.
I ordered the HSU 15" subs - VTF 15H MK2's....I sprung for the pair - mid-March for delivery I hope
I am going to stick with my Prime Towers for LR
Still need to order an Ultra Center
I have the Fluance bi-Pole for side surrounds
SVS satellite speakers for rears
Silver Ticket 8" for 4 Atmos in ceiling
Silver Ticket 120" 16:9 White Screen
Epson 3200 Projector

Looking around for BluRay and Streaming device (thinking Apple TV 4K, but not 100% sold yet)

Framing is nearly done, I have to knock out the bathroom plumbing and electrical rough in and targeting Drywall in about 3 weeks.

Still shopping theater seating as well.

Thanks again!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Pics or it didn’t happen!!!!!
JK. Congratulations. Curious to see how it turns out.
One tiny thing. Imo, you’d be better served by getting a 2ch amp for your mains vs rear surrounds.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
I bought the AudioSource AMP 100VS as my 2 channel - only 50W/Channel. Figure if I decide I need real power, maybe go up from there for the LR speakers but for $130 and decent reviews across several forums it will at least allow full 7.2.4 setup with the Denon 4300 to get me started.

the only pictures I have now are a bunch of 2x4's and a lot of HT boxes shoved in a corner....LOL

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I bought the AudioSource AMP 100VS as my 2 channel - only 50W/Channel. Figure if I decide I need real power, maybe go up from there for the LR speakers but for $130 and decent reviews across several forums it will at least allow full 7.2.4 setup with the Denon 4300 to get me started.

the only pictures I have now are a bunch of 2x4's and a lot of HT boxes shoved in a corner....LOL
Well that’s logical. And the 4300 isn’t exactly a slouch either. Nice!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

I would test the refurb on receipt just to make sure it's issue free.....they're strict about return policy. I'd probably put the least powerful amp on the Atmos, tho.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
I would test the refurb on receipt just to make sure it's issue free.....they're strict about return policy. I'd probably put the least powerful amp on the Atmos, tho.
Thanks! You don’t see any issue running 2 of the Atmos on the Denon and the other 2 on the small amp? Thanks in advance

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks! You don’t see any issue running 2 of the Atmos on the Denon and the other 2 on the small amp? Thanks in advance
No, why would it be an issue using any external amp? (other than basic limitations of the amp itself)

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
No, why would it be an issue using any external amp? (other than basic limitations of the amp itself)
Well, my thought was (and maybe wrong) that I have 4 Atmos speakers so maybe it would be more logical to run all 4 off the same amp (the denon) and since the rear surrounds are only 2 speakers serving as the function of rears only those could run off the 2 channel amp. Maybe more simply stated the denon is 125w per channel and the exterior amp is only 50w per channel. Worst case scenario is I try a couple different scenarios and choose what sounds best. But if the consensus is best to run the external amp to 2 of the 4 Atmos, then I will likely try that first.
I’m here to learn...lol. Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I wouldn't bother with a 50wpc amp in the first place. But if I wanted to use it, I'd put it where the power is least needed....the Atmos speakers (and then consider difference in sensitivity between your various speakers perhaps). Doesn't matter if different amps handle the different pair as long as you incorporate the external amp properly (for level, like by running Audyssey). You won't "hear" the difference unless perhaps you exceed the capacity of the lesser amp....

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
To that end a very quick question. Have I completely maxed out the receiver, or will the zone 2 pre- outs still work if I wanted to add a couple speakers over by the bar?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
To that end a very quick question. Have I completely maxed out the receiver, or will the zone 2 pre- outs still work if I wanted to add a couple speakers over by the bar?
You should be able to use the Zone 2 preouts to another small amp. I maxed out my Marantz 6012 and had to do it that way. Works great.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis