BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Not sure how your theater is setup and what your seating distance is, but the 120" screen sounds pretty small. I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned seating distance. So, be aware that 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance is typical.

With 25' wall to wall, it's important to draw out exactly where theater seats are.

I'm not sure how you are separating your theater space from the rest of the basement space. This is something I consider to be really important as you will want your theater ceiling to be dark/black in color, while the rest of the basement should have a white or light colored ceiling. This makes a huge difference in front projection, just as having dark walls and dark carpet in the theater is important, while having light colors in the rest of the basement helps to brighten those spaces.

I would consider that carefully before you start putting up drywall as having a basement as one huge 'space' really hurts the concept of functionality for the basement itself. Pick an area, decide what it is for, and then build around that functionality. Leaving an open basement without that separation always seems like every space is just stuffed in there instead of designed for purpose.

THIS is a storage area.
THIS is the bar area.
THIS is the gaming area.
THIS is the guest bedroom.
THIS is the theater.

All this said, keep in mind the Epson 3200 is decent, but is very much an entry level 4K model. Don't expect nearly the black levels or overall quality that (say) the Epson 5050 delivers.

I do like Silver Ticket and think they work very well as an entry level screen. But, I think your screen may be too small.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
Not sure how your theater is setup and what your seating distance is, but the 120" screen sounds pretty small. I didn't see anywhere that you mentioned seating distance. So, be aware that 10" to 12" of diagonal for each foot of viewing distance is typical.

With 25' wall to wall, it's important to draw out exactly where theater seats are.

I'm not sure how you are separating your theater space from the rest of the basement space. This is something I consider to be really important as you will want your theater ceiling to be dark/black in color, while the rest of the basement should have a white or light colored ceiling. This makes a huge difference in front projection, just as having dark walls and dark carpet in the theater is important, while having light colors in the rest of the basement helps to brighten those spaces.

I would consider that carefully before you start putting up drywall as having a basement as one huge 'space' really hurts the concept of functionality for the basement itself. Pick an area, decide what it is for, and then build around that functionality. Leaving an open basement without that separation always seems like every space is just stuffed in there instead of designed for purpose.

THIS is a storage area.
THIS is the bar area.
THIS is the gaming area.
THIS is the guest bedroom.
THIS is the theater.

All this said, keep in mind the Epson 3200 is decent, but is very much an entry level 4K model. Don't expect nearly the black levels or overall quality that (say) the Epson 5050 delivers.

I do like Silver Ticket and think they work very well as an entry level screen. But, I think your screen may be too small.

Certainly appreciate the response! In the first post I have a very rough sketch and there is much more going on than in the sketch provided. The sketch was simply to depict the area I've designated as the theater area. I do have rooms you cannot see on the sketch; for instance bathroom and storage behind the 25' wall I've drawn on the piece of paper. Dealing with the furnace/utility room, it left a 12' wide space I am calling the theater area. For that width, and based on my measurements, the 120" screen fits well and allows space on either side of the screen for tower speakers. I plan on 2 rows of couches with the first row approximately 10.5' off the screen then a 12" high platform for the second row. I am even planning on a bar top behind the second row of couches but that area will not benefit as well as the couches from a sound perspective.

Essentially what I'm working with is a large "L" shaped space for a home theater and a separate bar to hang out. I am certainly aware the ideal theater room is completely closed off from the rest of the space, however I think we are utilizing the space the best we can to accomplish what we're looking for.

Thanks again!

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
If you really have a ton of depth to the room that is fairly 'open to use' as you please, then I would strongly consider building out a false wall and going with an AT screen so you can get a bit more screen size into the space. It certainly is an option and doesn't add much to the cost if you are doing most of the work yourself.

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
It’s been a long time but my project is finished….actually a few months ago but summer has been busy! Anyway I thought I would share…

please let me know your thoughts and questions!
7E42B4F6-4D1F-4FB0-87AC-BBF5017C2585.jpeg
64DBA2D0-E9C6-4B93-A140-9FF11061F677.jpeg
86AF2515-14A8-4899-BBF7-A566B884AD69.jpeg
4993F44E-1E83-4A7C-BE52-A3470FF4D1AF.jpeg
1076EEE1-AF54-4E7C-A9FC-650722779D62.jpeg

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
Many thanks to the wonderful advice I received here…
Denon 4300
SVS tower speakers and Ultra Center
HSU 15 subs
Fluance side surrounds
SVS rears
4 Atmos
120 silver ticket screen
Dual loveseats in the front and 4 single recliners in the rear
Granite bar behind the rears with 5 more bar stools

I couldn’t be happier with how it turned out. Looks, sounds and FEELS amazing!

thanks again everyone!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Nice room! Helluva beer fridge :) or is there also a kitchen/bbq area not in the pics?

M

Makai19

Enthusiast
Nice room! Helluva beer fridge :) or is there also a kitchen/bbq area not in the pics?
Ha! No kitchen down there, just the beer fridge…lol. We do have friends over quite often and it never fails. People bring a suitcase of beer and nowhere to put them, so we decided a full size fridge should take care of that. It’s been a hit!

thanks for the compliments!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis