T

TechToys2

Audioholic
Is there a rule of thumb for when a phantom center is better than using a center channel (e.g., if the L&R are less than a certain distance apart)? I've been looking at a new, larger TV to replace the one in this pic, and if used on its stand the center channel will block the screen. The wall that everything is on is only 7 feet long so the speakers are only maybe 6 feet from each other.

There are potential issues with mounting the TV, so I'm trying to decide if I should just go with a. phantom center. IMG_0291.jpg

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You could paint a block of wood black and set your tv on it. Looks like you only need to raise it a little bit. Otherwise phantom should work just fine too. That one is easy to test. Just turn your center off in the speaker settings and see how it sounds. If you play with your speaker toe-in that can help bring the center image into focus too.

But yeah, I'd just find something to put under the monitor and raise it up a couple of inches.

*Edit: It might not hurt to tilt your center up a little bit too. Try to aim the tweeter up so it points at your head at ear height.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
You could paint a block of wood black and set your tv on it. Looks like you only need to raise it a little bit. Otherwise phantom should work just fine too. That one is easy to test. Just turn your center off in the speaker settings and see how it sounds. If you play with your speaker toe-in that can help bring the center image into focus too.

But yeah, I'd just find something to put under the monitor and raise it up a couple of inches.
Thanks. The pic is my current set and the screen is only blocked a fraction, so not a big deal. A newer set would be much lower on a stand and wouldn't have bezels so much more of it would be covered. I would have to build a stand to raise it about 6 inches.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai

*Edit: It might not hurt to tilt your center up a little bit too. Try to aim the tweeter up so it points at your head at ear height.
I used door stops to do this very thing, tilt my center up just a tad to my ears.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To make a phantom center work, you MUST be listening at a location equidistant from the speakers, so you have to be in the sweet spot right between them. Off too much to one side, and the imaging collapses to the speaker that you are closest to.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree with Pogre in that getting the TV raised up a bit would be the path I would choose. If the Mains were more dynamic like towers can be, I would say you could probably rock the Phantom. May work with your standmounts, too.
Some blue museum putty and some peices of 4x6 spray painted satin black is all it would take, from the sound of it.

One note... make certain you know where the Remote sensor is... my Center interferes with it... have to hold my remote at nose level to get any traction. ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. The pic is my current set and the screen is only blocked a fraction, so not a big deal. A newer set would be much lower on a stand and wouldn't have bezels so much more of it would be covered. I would have to build a stand to raise it about 6 inches.
I don't know if this would work with your new tv, it depends on the feet, but here's what I did with an older setup I had.

20170415_103226-1305x734 (1)-1.jpg

I had a spare chunk of 4" x 6" lumber leftover from a project. I cut 2 lengths and stained them black. I don't think it looked too shabby and it was a cheap solution.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I had a spare chunk of 4" x 6" lumber leftover from a project. I cut 2 lengths and stained them black. I don't think it looked too shabby and it was a cheap solution.
Great minds, Baby! ;)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I used door stops to do this very thing, tilt my center up just a tad to my ears.

I've used doorstop when I had a regular center channel too. It's like they were made for it!

*Edit- You can see them in that pic!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I've used doorstop when I had a regular center channel too. It's like they were made for it!
I saw it suggests somewhere, maybe here on Audioholics. Cheap and worked out perfectly.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
I don't know if this would work with your new tv, it depends on the feet, but here's what I did with an older setup I had.

View attachment 44881

Yeah, looks good. Unfortunately I'm looking at an LG OLED and the stand is long and horizontal.

BTW, where did you get the AV stand and how wide is it (assuming you still have it)?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I use Echogear TV feet to lift my 75R635 up so my center would fit underneath. Worked out excellent, is very sturdy and was inexpensive.

T

TechToys2

Audioholic
To make a phantom center work, you MUST be listening at a location equidistant from the speakers, so you have to be in the sweet spot right between them. Off too much to one side, and the imaging collapses to the speaker that you are closest to.
Would work for one person then, but an issue when watching with my wife.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, looks good. Unfortunately I'm looking at an LG OLED and the stand is long and horizontal.

BTW, where did you get the AV stand and how wide is it (assuming you still have it)?
I can't remember where I got that... and no, I don't have it anymore. I wanna say it was 52" wide, give or take. If I were looking for one today I'd probably head over American Furniture Warehouse out here in the Phoenix area. Best Buy might have some choices too iirc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I use Echogear TV feet to lift my 75R635 up so my center would fit underneath. Worked out excellent, is very sturdy and was inexpensive.

That's not a bad idea either.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's not a bad idea either.
Its excellent to be honest. Even a spas like me installed it. Just the perfect height for my RSL CG23 center.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Never saw those before! That is perfect for one of my situations where the stock stand just isn't the right dimensions....

T

TechToys2

Audioholic

This looks like it could be perfect if it's stable for a 65 inch TV (and it seems to be).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Of course now that I know what to search for I see a few similar solutions.....but thanks in any case!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis