96in 2.35:1 screen worth it?

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Hey guys need advice on this. I made a thread few years ago about a projector on here but few years later I’m seriously wanting to not use my 65in tv and buy a projector and screen.
My room is 13w x 19L with two rows of seats. First row sits almost 9ft from tv now and second row is almost 14ft from tv. I do have control of lighting where my system is setup with no light bleed from the rest of lights in basement.
The majority of my watching habits are movies with occasional college football and maybe some tv but since I work nights when I do go down there it’s mainly movies. And when wife and kids are down there we’re watching movies together.
Now I know 16x9 is recommended but I have 8ft ceilings and where my tv wall is now I can not fit 16x9 due to the height because of the soffits that cover my ductwork. I have a soffit on the left and right side of my room and where the tv is now, the width of a 2.35:1 screen fits perfect in there with a 96in diagonal screen and the height will work also. Everything I’ve read suggests I should go with a white screen but would like advice on this. I also can not go wider on the screen because my ductwork on the right side angles down with drywall.
The projectors I’ve been looking at are the epson 4050, 5050 and 6050 because of the lens zoom I would need for the 2.35:1 screen but I know certain jvc ones have lens zoom too. I’m leaning towards the epsons because of budget. So I will also need advice on projector.
The main reason I’m looking at buying a projector/screen is because the research I’ve done, it’s telling me that I could buy a 77in OLED or 85in lcd and spend pretty much the same amount of money vs a projector/screen and I would not have the wow factor of buying the tv. This to me makes no sense to buy a tv and would be better off with the projector/screen.
But like the thread title reads, is it even worth it with only being able to have a 96in diagonal screen. This is where I need your guys advice and experiences plz, thx.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Also, I forgot to mention I would like a fixed screen. I will not be able to put my speakers behind the screen. Second row of seats is on a riser too and should I stay away from a curved screen?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
This becomes a personal decision. A 96" diagonal 2.35 screen is a good size. It's what you would end up with on a 16:9 screen if the screen was a 102" diagonal. So, that's not bad at all. It is 'small' by most standards for sure. I would more likely recommend a 130"-140" size range for that room, and I'm not really sure what your room is like overall. Lots of soffits and things which block your capability to do front projection properly. Not sure how that happened.

But, it certainly will feel more like a home theater with a 96" projection setup in there and the use of the Epson 5050 isn't a bad way to go at all.

Be aware, when watching 16:9 television/HDTV, it will only be a 75" diagonal.

Yes, you should get a white screen and it should not be curved. It should be flat. Nothing wrong with Silver Ticket Products in a decent room.
Paint your room dark if at all possible. Especially the ceiling.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
This becomes a personal decision. A 96" diagonal 2.35 screen is a good size. It's what you would end up with on a 16:9 screen if the screen was a 102" diagonal. So, that's not bad at all. It is 'small' by most standards for sure. I would more likely recommend a 130"-140" size range for that room, and I'm not really sure what your room is like overall. Lots of soffits and things which block your capability to do front projection properly. Not sure how that happened.

But, it certainly will feel more like a home theater with a 96" projection setup in there and the use of the Epson 5050 isn't a bad way to go at all.

Be aware, when watching 16:9 television/HDTV, it will only be a 75" diagonal.

Yes, you should get a white screen and it should not be curved. It should be flat. Nothing wrong with Silver Ticket Products in a decent room.
Paint your room dark if at all possible. Especially the ceiling.
Ok thx I appreciate it. Well whoever built our house and finished the basement built the soffits like that, at least on the wall now where I have my tv. The wall behind my second row of seats soffits don’t block anything but it would be a pain to change everything around. I was looking at elite screens since they do have 96in diagonal screens, is elite good too? I looked at silver ticket but I didn’t see that they make a 96in diagonal screen unless I missed something. My walls are a flat dark gray and all my trim is painted black and I’m ok with the screen size it will be while watching 16:9 content, I knew I was going to lose screen size

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I know you like jvc but I’m guessing the epson is a good way to go?

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
It is a little hard to picture your screen wall from the description. A photo would help.

But to answer your question: If you are willing to sit in the dark and especially if you are able to pair the ceiling and screen wall dark, it is totally worth it.

If you are going to have some ambient light, then a flat panel is probably a better choice.

---

Regarding aspect ratio, I would typically say 16x9 screen is easier especially for a first time owner.

But if I understand you correctly, you can get more screen area to fit on your wall with a 2.35:1 screen, and the Epson you are considering (great choice by the way unless you want to spend twice as much in which case the JVC becomes the one to get) makes it darn easy to work with.

Hey guys need advice on this. I made a thread few years ago about a projector on here but few years later I’m seriously wanting to not use my 65in tv and buy a projector and screen.
My room is 13w x 19L with two rows of seats. First row sits almost 9ft from tv now and second row is almost 14ft from tv. I do have control of lighting where my system is setup with no light bleed from the rest of lights in basement.
The majority of my watching habits are movies with occasional college football and maybe some tv but since I work nights when I do go down there it’s mainly movies. And when wife and kids are down there we’re watching movies together.
Now I know 16x9 is recommended but I have 8ft ceilings and where my tv wall is now I can not fit 16x9 due to the height because of the soffits that cover my ductwork. I have a soffit on the left and right side of my room and where the tv is now, the width of a 2.35:1 screen fits perfect in there with a 96in diagonal screen and the height will work also. Everything I’ve read suggests I should go with a white screen but would like advice on this. I also can not go wider on the screen because my ductwork on the right side angles down with drywall.
The projectors I’ve been looking at are the epson 4050, 5050 and 6050 because of the lens zoom I would need for the 2.35:1 screen but I know certain jvc ones have lens zoom too. I’m leaning towards the epsons because of budget. So I will also need advice on projector.
The main reason I’m looking at buying a projector/screen is because the research I’ve done, it’s telling me that I could buy a 77in OLED or 85in lcd and spend pretty much the same amount of money vs a projector/screen and I would not have the wow factor of buying the tv. This to me makes no sense to buy a tv and would be better off with the projector/screen.
But like the thread title reads, is it even worth it with only being able to have a 96in diagonal screen. This is where I need your guys advice and experiences plz, thx.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It is a little hard to picture your screen wall from the description. A photo would help.

But to answer your question: If you are willing to sit in the dark and especially if you are able to pair the ceiling and screen wall dark, it is totally worth it.

If you are going to have some ambient light, then a flat panel is probably a better choice.

---

Regarding aspect ratio, I would typically say 16x9 screen is easier especially for a first time owner.

But if I understand you correctly, you can get more screen area to fit on your wall with a 2.35:1 screen, and the Epson you are considering (great choice by the way unless you want to spend twice as much in which case the JVC becomes the one to get) makes it darn easy to work with.
Hopefully these will give you a better understanding, there from my phone so hopefully they came out good enough
6A91D474-9188-4B3B-8720-8ECE19CC308C.jpeg
3E632082-F4AB-4DBC-8AD3-2B1591F3FD95.jpeg
DCF6C674-9CD9-4C0D-A4D0-46B71C3DB07F.jpeg
3CAC4520-CB7C-4AFB-B6AE-F4CAB18A6910.jpeg
5DCEE0E1-89ED-4519-9034-46B3797ABBFC.jpeg
C97F4284-D697-47EB-B219-A0B6B51D68B8.jpeg
0D0BC1DA-26BD-4BAE-B835-00A781968FB5.jpeg
FBF52791-6E67-457A-ADAF-3B09B3FCCC92.jpeg

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Nice space but yeah, that screen wall is tough!

Are you thinking a 2.35:1 screen that covers as far over as the bevery hills cop poster? Yeah, 16x9 you would be very limited I think from the photos.

May be worth using some blue painters tape and trying out two sizes (largest 16x9 you could fit and largest 235:1) you can fit.

(Keep in mind that a very large 16x9 screen probably means the people in the second row cannot see the bottom of the screen, possibly -- painters tape outline on the wall will let you know.)

---

One thought (might be difficult): The back wall almost looks like it has more open space (I mean just turn the seats around).....and the DVD wall becomes the screen wall.... probably a lot of work!

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Nice space but yeah, that screen wall is tough!

Are you thinking a 2.35:1 screen that covers as far over as the bevery hills cop poster? Yeah, 16x9 you would be very limited I think from the photos.

May be worth using some blue painters tape and trying out two sizes (largest 16x9 you could fit and largest 235:1) you can fit.

(Keep in mind that a very large 16x9 screen probably means the people in the second row cannot see the bottom of the screen, possibly -- painters tape outline on the wall will let you know.)

---

One thought (might be difficult): The back wall almost looks like it has more open space (I mean just turn the seats around).....and the DVD wall becomes the screen wall.... probably a lot of work!
Yes 2.35:1 96in fits perfect on tv wall now, I’ve measured it. And yes you’re right about my wall behind my second row of seats, that’s where I should of put everything but when we first moved in it was easier on tv wall now to run wires because I can get to the back of it with ease, I’m not changing everything around and tearing out the table top I built. To be honest the 2.35:1 96in I’d be happy with, a lot bigger than my tv now, it will fill almost 8ft width wise. I have big sound now with my speakers, the screen and projector would make it even better.
I just thinks it’s dumb to buy a bigger tv, I’d spend the same amount of money on a 77in oled or 85in lcd as I would with projector/screen but I’d get a lot more immersion with projector/screen

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
And you’re right about 16x9 with the second row, I’ve measured it and I just don’t have the height to use 16x9

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
I have an eight foot WIDE (not diag) 235:1 screen. My main row is about 8 feet from it (maybe a little further) and it is awesome.

Second row is seldom used in my case and it's fine back there but front row is the great seat.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I have an eight foot WIDE (not diag) 235:1 screen. My main row is about 8 feet from it (maybe a little further) and it is awesome.

Second row is seldom used in my case and it's fine back there but front row is the great seat.
I wanted to ask too, I wanted to put the projector in between the two columns where the plains trains n automobiles poster is, would that be ok or does it need to be closer to the screen?

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I hate your room. I mean, it's a solid room. Colors are good. But, that front wall.... !!!!!!!!

I wish it was flipped, you wish it was flipped, we all wish it was flipped, it should be flipped. But, that's a ton of work, and a fair bit of cash, so roll with what you have and enjoy it.

Throw distance is measured from the front of the lens to the screen wall. So, if it's 20' to the back of your room that's about 18.5 feet to the front of the lens (give or take) and if you get a projector like the Epson 5050, then the lens to screen for a 96" diagonal must be between 9'11" - 20'10".

Sounds good right?

WRONG! (of course)

Because it needs to zoom in to fit any 16:9 content you intend to view. That brings it down to a 75" diagonal. (37" of height)

A 75" diagonal can be filled from 7'4"-15'5" lens to screen.

The crossover between those two distances is where the lens MUST be placed. That's 9'11" to 15'5" for a 96" diagonal 2.35 screen.

I wouldn't go any further back than 15' and no closer than about 10'6" with the lens.

All calculations pulled from: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_5050UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm?id_=75

I would really keep an eye out for a JVC RS540 if you can find one. The black color would go much better with your setup.
Be aware, that every projector uses a different lens and has different throw distances. So, you must calculate based upon what you will be buying. Also, not all projectors have extensive lens shift. Epson is, by far, the best in this regard.

nathan_h

nathan_h

Audioholic
Very good point about the placement to make both sizes work.

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Well, I hate your room. I mean, it's a solid room. Colors are good. But, that front wall.... !!!!!!!!

I wish it was flipped, you wish it was flipped, we all wish it was flipped, it should be flipped. But, that's a ton of work, and a fair bit of cash, so roll with what you have and enjoy it.

Throw distance is measured from the front of the lens to the screen wall. So, if it's 20' to the back of your room that's about 18.5 feet to the front of the lens (give or take) and if you get a projector like the Epson 5050, then the lens to screen for a 96" diagonal must be between 9'11" - 20'10".

Sounds good right?

WRONG! (of course)

Because it needs to zoom in to fit any 16:9 content you intend to view. That brings it down to a 75" diagonal. (37" of height)

A 75" diagonal can be filled from 7'4"-15'5" lens to screen.

The crossover between those two distances is where the lens MUST be placed. That's 9'11" to 15'5" for a 96" diagonal 2.35 screen.

I wouldn't go any further back than 15' and no closer than about 10'6" with the lens.

All calculations pulled from: https://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-Home_Cinema_5050UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm?id_=75

I would really keep an eye out for a JVC RS540 if you can find one. The black color would go much better with your setup.
Be aware, that every projector uses a different lens and has different throw distances. So, you must calculate based upon what you will be buying. Also, not all projectors have extensive lens shift. Epson is, by far, the best in this regard.
Yes you’re right about how I should of set it up down there initially but I’d still be limited in the height department and yes I definitely would prefer a black projector. 6050 is black but I really didn’t want to spend that much plus a screw and a mount

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
How’s do these all compare, jvc x790, 5050 and the 6050?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis