Old paradigm 5.1 setup, or......

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
New guy here on a limited budget.
I bought the following set up back around 1995 but they have been sitting in heated storage (basement) for the past 20 years.
Monitor 9SE MK3 towers
The center is a CC-300
The sub is a PS-1000
and the surrounds are dipoles - ADP 100s

We are finally finishing the basement and I am trying to decide if I should keep the set, keep the 9's only, if I should sell all of them and buy new. The challenge is that we are putting our tv above a 74" electric fireplace (I know not optimal but that bridge has already been crossed) and don't really have a good place for a center other than framing a pocket for it between the fireplace and the TV and this center is rather large. Will it work, yes, but it pushes the height of the tv up a bit more than I would like due to the size of the center.

If I keep the 9's I am wondering if there are better options for a replacement center (not quite as tall) and rears that would match well with the front towers without breaking the bank (maybe $1000 total for the center and surrounds) . Or would I be better off selling the entire set and buying a new set (budget is only around $2000 if I bought an entire set)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Before you get too far, you've inspected/tested the speakers? I'd worry somewhat about the surrounds (of the speaker drivers) a bit over that amount of time before I'd make too many plans. If the speakers work they're viable if you can fit them. One thought about raising the tv is you could tilt it down some to help compensate. Damn fireplace placement is always fun :) Putting a box speaker into a cubby hole isn't the way the speaker is designed for use, tho. Got a sketch/pic of your proposed layout?

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
Yes all of the speakers work and are not brittle, etc. The were in the heated basement of a home with April air etc. That said I don't plan on replacing the surrounds either way. It is the rest of the system I am debating. The basement floorpan is below. Keep in mind I have framed the fireplace along the wall at the bottom (not off to the right as shown on the floorpan).

We will have cabinets/shelves on the side of the fireplace as shown in the drawing as well.

Attachments

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
here is the floor plan. Again the fireplace has a along the bottom wall. I am trying to figure out how to post other pics. Seater says they are too large. Hopefully I’ll get them posted soon.
CC39D74A-3F5C-4962-9F45-D249014ACFF1.jpeg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just curious, heat may even accelerate disintegration of some materials, altho humidity could be a factor I suppose. I didn't mean surround speakers, but rather the drivers' surrounds (the foam/rubber piece connecting cone to frame). Just not something I'd assume on "heated" storage.

What drawing? The pics don't help much, already familiar with how they appear.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hold up.
You aren't trying to make these "in-wall" speakers are you?

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
Just curious, heat may even accelerate disintegration of some materials, altho humidity could be a factor I suppose. I didn't mean surround speakers, but rather the drivers' surrounds (the foam/rubber piece connecting cone to frame). Just not something I'd assume on "heated" storage.
I will double check to make sure. It may make this thread a moot point if they are bad.

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
Hold up.
You aren't trying to make these "in-wall" speakers are you?
No. The towers, sub, surrounds will be free standing. The only question is the center. The only option I can see, if I use the Paradigm CC-300 center is to place it into a small cove built into the fireplace framing (again over an electric fireplace). I don't like the idea because of the size and depth, on top of the fact they are not made to be "built in". So my question is around whether or not there is another smaller center (shallower so it can be mounted below the tv) that may match well with the towers I already have or am I better off selling the whole lot and starting over vs trying to use the 9's

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You could consider an appropriate in-wall center I'd think. Check with Paradigm for suggestions....assuming all these are Paradigm brand. FWIW your sub need not match by brand, and it could be a weak point.

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
I have another sub I will try as well (Sunfire True Subwoofer MKII). That is currently in use upstairs. I am less concerned about the sub, and surrounds as I can mix and match those. I am just concerned about having a center that matches well with the 9's and produces a decent soundstage.

I will certainly check with paradigm to see if they have any in wall recommendations that would play well with the 9's

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The only option I can see, if I use the Paradigm CC-300 center is to place it into a small cove built into the fireplace framing
Bad idea.
You cannot put free standing speakers into an infinite baffle setup without penalty to Sound Quality.

You would be far better off installing a true In-Wall speaker or running Phantom Center.

And since heat rises...
I hope you don't melt anything important placed above.

In short:

All kinds of a bad idea!

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
Bad idea.
You cannot put free standing speakers into an infinite baffle setup without penalty to Sound Quality.

You would be far better off installing a true In-Wall speaker or running Phantom Center.

And since heat rises...
I hope you don't melt anything important placed above.

In short:

All kinds of a bad idea!
That's what I figured. I will see if I can find a true in wall center. The Fireplace only puts out about 5000 btu (about the same as an Edenpure so hopefully no issues with heat but won't know until it is too late).

J

jjhogwild

Audiophyte
I couldn't not find a good option for in wall center so I adjusted the framing for my electric fireplace and TV so that the fireplace framing serves as a deep mantle to place my Paradigm center on with TV above it. Again the Fireplace is electric and you can choose to have it put out limited heat (only 4800 BTU) or put out no heat at all so I am not concerned about heat impacting the center speaker or tv, especially with a large mantle.shelf. I will take temps once the fireplace is installed just to be safe and if it is an issue, the fireplace will be for ambiance only and not heat. This allows me to stick with the paradigm floor speakers and center channel.

I plan to add some in ceiling atmos overhead speakers and some new rear speakers on stands .

2 questions:
1) how does this layout look for speaker placement? (sorry for the chicken scratch) The front of the room is 22 ft wide. If I keep them closer to the cabinets they will be about 16 ft apart which keeps them about 3 feet off the side walls.
2) any recommendations for in ceiling atoms speakers and rear speakers (these will be on speaker stands)? My total budget for these 4 speakers is around $1000. The fronts and center are all silk dome tweeters in case that impacts what would be recommended for in ceilings and rears)
speaker placement.jpg

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis