Is it time to Ditch Vinyl?

Is it Time to Dump Vinyl?

• Yes. High Res digital streaming is better and here to stay.

Votes: 22 36.1%
  • No way man. Vinyl is still king.

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Embrace all formats, even 8-Track!

Votes: 31 50.8%

• Total voters
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah. See. I was thinking getting the Yamaha 100% ANALOG Integrated Amp and Turntable and just do 100% DIGITAL music streaming from either my iPad, Phone, or PC. :eek: :D

Ain't all ANAL LOG if you can stream to it :)

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I find lately that I mostly listen to CDs on my NAD player. Still I won't ditch my LPs which I occasionally listen to on my REGA Planar 3. Some of them aren't even available on CD. That said my next investment will be a digital streaming service as soon as I figure out what I need. So no I wont ditch vinyl but probably wont be purchasing any more stuff. Great Thread!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Right. The Integrated Amp is 100% Analog. But the TT only LOOKS like it’s 100% Analog. :D
If you can stream to the integrated amp it isn't all anal log as it will have digital capabilities (unless you're going to use a bluetooth receiver connected to the rca inputs).

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Blah blah blah blah...heard of all this BS before from both sides of the camp and guess what, I don't give a flying f?ck what the format is. As long as the medium contains good music, I'm happy. One chump selling his vinyl collection isnt going to sway me. Everyone getting into the medium wars has missed the boat, is out to lunch, or is 1 shy of a full dozen. Just let the music play and enjoy it.

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
If I want to hear a wide variety of music, I'll stream but if I want to hear something at a particular time, I'll play the LP or CD. I haven't played a tape in years and, because most of my cassettes were in a car that was stolen, I never re-recorded them. I never spent a lot of time recording, anyway but I had some tapes that were compiled by others that couldn't be replicated because they were one-off versions.

I don't think I would get a lot of money if I sold mine, anyway- the music I have collected isn't usually the kind that has mass appeal.

So, one guy selling his LPs is a trend, eh?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I have no vinyl to get rid of...

By the time I got really serious about audio cds were pretty much king, and a huge improvement over cassette tapes, which is mostly what I had. Now I'm all digital but pretty much my entire collection is ripped straight from cds.

I haven't found a streaming service that sounds as good as my cd/lossless rips, so I'm not much of a streamer. I thought Amazon HD sounded okay, but my digital rips were still better. Maybe not "night and day", but it was still pretty easy to hear the difference. If there's music I want, 9 times out of 10 I can find the cd cheap on eBay so that's my go to. Then I just rip into my library and store the cd for backup.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
I think it was long time ago. It was time when CD came out. Still, I see young people today getting into records that didn't grow up with records or had a father that had a collection for that matter.

I simply think it'll stay a niche.

Me, personally, I'm in a specific situation. It's a souvenir for me. Good working deck, one portion of father's records (my brother got the other TT and the rest of the records) I'm keeping it alive... I guess it's an atheist version of lighting a candle on the cemetery.

highfigh

highfigh

I think it was long time ago. It was time when CD came out. Still, I see young people today getting into records that didn't grow up with records or had a father that had a collection for that matter.

I simply think it'll stay a niche.
Your handle is a reference to the band Killdozer?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
If I want to hear a wide variety of music, I'll stream but if I want to hear something at a particular time, I'll play the LP or CD. I haven't played a tape in years and, because most of my cassettes were in a car that was stolen, I never re-recorded them. I never spent a lot of time recording, anyway but I had some tapes that were compiled by others that couldn't be replicated because they were one-off versions.

I don't think I would get a lot of money if I sold mine, anyway- the music I have collected isn't usually the kind that has mass appeal.

So, one guy selling his LPs is a trend, eh?
Apparently.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
Your handle is a reference to the band Killdozer?
No. It was inspired by this:
1611564139980.png

I added on 'z'. When I was a kid, I really liked reading Sturgeon. It just popped into my mind when I was registering at AH, thought why not?

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai
As a side note, I don't get why whould record make someone listen to the whole album, especially when you have to turn it half way through and why would someone stop a CD where an album can play all the way through with no stopping? Furthermore, why would this be an advantage? There are most certainly more albums with few really dumb songs and some really good ones then there are albums that are 100% a good listen.

I don't buy CD versions of records I own. I used to do that when I was much younger and wanted all those progrock albums as well as Mike Oldfield - where I thought superb sound is important. For me - and I know I'll get stretched all over these forums for that - I don't see why would I bother with Hendrix? His playing and his recordings are so muddled up, smudged and unarticulated, CD simply doesn't help. I have a lot of his music on records and some sought after live sessions. Records are as pure and as clean, black as coal, not a single scratch and perhaps played a dozen of times. I never saw any advantage of owning Hendrix on CD. Even that Experience-album sounds dreadfull.

I don't expect anything from records anymore. I have a few hundred of them. I'm very satisfied with how my deck works and at my home it's; if you want to listen to those certain albums you use TT because I don't have them in another format (and don't intend on getting them). So certain albums have their own reproduction machine.

But these days I have to admit @gene said one thing good a long time ago about records. I simply didn't know my gf had it in her and I couldn't foresee it; she said TT is romantic for her. (!! go figure) I remember Gene's wife saying something along those lines. Then I said; and this record doesn't even pop&crackle... And she said; even if it did, that's part of the romance.

highfigh

highfigh

As a side note, I don't get why whould record make someone listen to the whole album, especially when you have to turn it half way through and why would someone stop a CD where an album can play all the way through with no stopping? Furthermore, why would this be an advantage? There are most certainly more albums with few really dumb songs and some really good ones then there are albums that are 100% a good listen.

I don't buy CD versions of records I own. I used to do that when I was much younger and wanted all those progrock albums as well as Mike Oldfield - where I thought superb sound is important. For me - and I know I'll get stretched all over these forums for that - I don't see why would I bother with Hendrix? His playing and his recordings are so muddled up, smudged and unarticulated, CD simply doesn't help. I have a lot of his music on records and some sought after live sessions. Records are as pure and as clean, black as coal, not a single scratch and perhaps played a dozen of times. I never saw any advantage of owning Hendrix on CD. Even that Experience-album sounds dreadfull.

I don't expect anything from records anymore. I have a few hundred of them. I'm very satisfied with how my deck works and at my home it's; if you want to listen to those certain albums you use TT because I don't have them in another format (and don't intend on getting them). So certain albums have their own reproduction machine.

But these days I have to admit @gene said one thing good a long time ago about records. I simply didn't know my gf had it in her and I couldn't foresee it; she said TT is romantic for her. (!! go figure) I remember Gene's wife saying something along those lines. Then I said; and this record doesn't even pop&crackle... And she said; even if it did, that's part of the romance.
Listening to one side of an LP was pretty good, for that time- they only had single-play recordings or, if they really had a big budget, an open reel tape machine. Or, the radio. 78 RPM records were rarely more than one song, so being able to hear (I don't think everyone was actually 'listening' in the way that word's meaning would become) more than a couple of songs was better. The reason CDs were able to store 75 minutes of music is because Akio Morita, the head of Sony, wanted to be able to listen to a Beethoven symphony uninterrupted (IIRC, it was Beethoven's 5th). Since Sony was one of the companies that developed the CD, he got what he wanted.

If you think Hendrix sounds bad on the vinyl and CDs in your collection, check out some of the remastered versions- they sound far different from the original LPs. WRT his live recordings, remember, those were recorded between '66 and the middle of 1970- the facilities for live recordings wasn't always great and he didn't care as much about tuning his guitar as he did about the music. I have a Request music server and one thing struck me about the Hendrix CDs that I ripped to it- they sound far better than I would have expected- frequency response, dynamics, stereo separation and mix are all better than the LPs but another part of LPs for some people- they grew up with the music they listen to and THAT may be where the experience approaches romance for some, for others it may have sentimental value because of the events surrounding those times in their lives. For someone who was at Woodstock, the Monterrey Music Festival or some other show, the sound quality may be far down the list of things they care about- when music makes someone shiver, it's not about the sound, it's about feeling something special.

I don't want to sound all Care Bear, but music can be a visceral experience. Recordings that take someone from their musical Stone Age to what became their musical future is definitely going to remain at the top of someone's list. The beginning of many genres of music did that, whether it was Dixieland, early Jazz, Blues, Swing, Bebop, cool jazz, early R&B, Rockabilly, early Rock & Roll, etc- it's a demarcation point. It's a musical awakening, if you want to use another word. Think about the first time you heard something that excited you- does it still do that, or did you move on from it?

Sound quality isn't musical substance- it's great, but great music stands on its own.

About the dumb songs- they needed filler and if they could ration the good ones, they could put out two albums, rather than one. It's all about the money.

highfigh

highfigh

No. It was inspired by this:
View attachment 43978

I added on 'z'. When I was a kid, I really liked reading Sturgeon. It just popped into my mind when I was registering at AH, thought why not?
I asked because the local newspaper had an article listing the 50 musical artists with the biggest impact in Wisconsin and one is a band called 'Killdozer'. Never heard of them or several of the others, but that detail really doesn't mean much- the thing that struck me and many others on Facebook who congratulated someone I know for being on the list- they should have shown the 100 most influential artists because many great ones were left off (or should have been higher).

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
If you can stream to the integrated amp it isn't all anal log as it will have digital capabilities (unless you're going to use a bluetooth receiver connected to the rca inputs).
You CANNOT stream to the A-S1200, A-S2200, or A-S3200 Integrated amps. No internal DAC. No digital Inputs/outputs.

You can stream to the MusicCast Turntable.

highfigh

highfigh

You CANNOT stream to the A-S1200, A-S2200, or A-S3200 Integrated amps. No internal DAC. No digital Inputs/outputs.

You can stream to the MusicCast Turntable.
How would someone stream to the MusicCast turntable?

Ren Kitchener

Ren Kitchener

Junior Audioholic
Does anybody think TVs without remote controls are gonna make a come back? :D
Oh yes - I hope so - I'd seriously love a retro style Bakelite 1950's TV with lots of Bakelite knobs and Chrome toggle switches - a remote always has it's own agenda - once it's found.:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis