Budget brands ? And odd stuff

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
What are the top budget brands ?
Are some higher quality ?
I’ve heard of Dayton , Pioneer seems to be gone they used to have cheap ones .

These are unusual why are the woofers downfiring like a subwoofer?? I’m skeptical of deigns like this ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

stalag2005

Full Audioholic
Check into SVS. Paradigm has a budget level in their Cinema series. IMHO those would both be solid choices for a starter kit. Although with Paradigm speakers I would consider a PB-1000 sub for those choices.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
What exactly are you looking for? Fluance does produce a few decent products like these bookshelfs

Parts Express does have a few products that are recommended too.

What are you looking for?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
These look decent but I cannot spend that much right now ...

Problem is my mom seems to hate audio products now . I’d need to convince her to give me some of my money ... not sure why parents didn’t just give me everything I’m over 21.

Energy are decent but ehh .. they look in rough shape . Those towers don’t produce much bass either ..

How risky are used amplifiers ? I need a new receiver before speakers actually...
That one at Costco cost too much after membership feee it’s around $500+
Should had got it when it was $330 ...

Problem is the other tv room is right beside it so I cannot use a subwoofer most likely or they will keeep moving it ./. ...

These look good , but a 5ch set is like 2grand almost ?
How are svs prime or pinnacles ? Do they have yearly sales ?

Soundbars kinda suck but I’m sure they wouldn’t cry as much over one .... https://www.samsclub.com/p/klipsch-48in-soundbar/prod24642998
Soundbar kinda pointless all I need is a amp I already have a few speakers .

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

These are unusual why are the woofers downfiring like a subwoofer?? I’m skeptical of deigns like this ..

That Fluance designs has problems. It is a 3-way design using 100Hz and 3,000Hz crossover points. Those look to be terrible choices. 3,000Hz is just too high for 6" midrange drivers, and that will cause a directivity mismatch between the tweeter. And 100Hz crossover in a $600/pair floor-standing speakers? There is no way a speaker of that price point has the manufacturing budget to do that well at all.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That Fluance designs has problems. It is a 3-way design using 100Hz and 3,000Hz crossover points. Those look to be terrible choices. 3,000Hz is just too high for 6" midrange drivers, and that will cause a directivity mismatch between the tweeter. And 100Hz crossover in a $600/pair floor-standing speakers? There is no way a speaker of that price point has the manufacturing budget to do that well at all.
Yeah when i saw the downfiring woofer I was thinking ?? Is this a gimmick brand ??

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Yeah when i saw the downfiring woofer I was thinking ?? Is this a gimmick brand ??

It's not a gimmick. It's just not a good idea for that type of design and that class of speaker. It would make a lot more sense as a powered part of the speaker, but I don't see how it could be pulled off well in a passive design.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
It's not a gimmick. It's just not a good idea for that type of design and that class of speaker. It would make a lot more sense as a powered part of the speaker, but I don't see how it could be pulled off well in a passive design.
I like downfiring subs , but a powered speaker with them would cost a few grand I cannot even find any examples of it . Except Goldenear but not downfiring..
Duel 8s probably decent bass https://emotiva.com/products/airmotiv-t2-loudspeaker-pair?variant=30272693338155&utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=EL:US+|+ACQ/EXP_Conversion+|+Retargeting+WV+|+PUR+|+CBO+2020&utm_content=EL:US+|+All+Products+|+CRSL_VIDEO_DesignedToEndure&fbclid=IwAR35Witm4EtTZFdvwOdWFIAM4KcPIzmErSSEGrJNWPfKeUdcYqW5XeWgOrY
Most towers don’t go under 35hz and usually it’s not much output -3 dB or so

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Still wish ida kept the energy bookshelves and first pair of Andrew Jones towers I tested out at best buy years ago .
They were cheap enough stupid idea returning them ... my amp sucked at the time .
Both are discontinued now , Pioneer SP-FS52 was so cheap yet gone so quickly??
I never see them used to either

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis