C

cpd

Full Audioholic
So I have a setup question that I assume is relatively stupid question.

I have a Denon x330W which is capable of 4k at 60hz. The xbox series x is capable of 4k at 120 hz and so is the CX. So my question concerns ARC. I have never used it I just let my receiver handle all the video switching.

If I connect the AVR to the ARC HDMI input on the tv, and the xbox to a different HDMI input on the tv, and all other sources to the AVR, will that work to have all audio run through the AVR. In other words, can you use ARC to have only one source run audio form the TV to the AVR (in this case the xbox audio) and have all other sources run audio direct to the AVR?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Sure, you'd just have the tv input into the avr whether using tv based audio or game console based audio....would need to switch the tv's input instead of the avr input....

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Sure, you'd just have the tv input into the avr whether using tv based audio or game console based audio....would need to switch the tv's input instead of the avr input....
Not sure I get this. I don't want to use TV based audio. I want the xbox audio to pass from the TV to the receiver so I can bypass the 4k 60 hz video limitation of the receiver when playing xbox. For all other sources (amazon fire tv, blu ray, tivo, other game systems etc) I want the receiver to do all video and audio switching. So for xbox the HDMI between the tv and receiver would carry just the audio signal from the tv back to the receiver. For all other sources that same HDMI cable would transfer just the video signal from the receiver to the tv. This is the stupid question part - is that basically what it is designed to do - can I limit the ARC usage to that one source?

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
I have a 9 year old 65" Panny VT30. One year into its life the panel failed which was replaced. It has run strong since then, but it is starting to hum on bright screens and the recent acquisition of an xbox series x has me considering a larger (75") 4k set. Was looking at the LG OLED's, and the new Panny OLED and then saw the thread on the upcoming QNED. Will either make a significant difference right now (other than size)? Should I wait for the QNED to come out? Not sure if I understand whether that new tech is thought to be better then OLED or what.

Thoughts?
Hi cpd, and everyone else. I've fired up my account here for the first time in over a year to read about new tv's. I also have a Panny Plasma and am starting my research to be ahead of the game. I think it's about 8 years old. I love it, and absolutely do not want to lose its awesome picture quality. I'll follow and add my 2 cents if it applies. Thanks!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hi cpd, and everyone else. I've fired up my account here for the first time in over a year to read about new tv's. I also have a Panny Plasma and am starting my research to be ahead of the game. I think it's about 8 years old. I love it, and absolutely do not want to lose its awesome picture quality. I'll follow and add my 2 cents if it applies. Thanks!
Welcome back, lots of good choices, OLED and LED. Its not all OLED, all the time. Some really excellent, excellent LED TVs out there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Welcome back, lots of good choices, OLED and LED. Its not all OLED, all the time. Some really excellent, excellent LED TVs out there.

Thanks Hetfield! Feel free to drop a few brands and models of led. I go to Costco about once a week and they make you walk past all their tv's to get in! So, it's like a kid in a candy shop.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks Hetfield! Feel free to drop a few brands and models of led. I go to Costco about once a week and they make you walk past all their tv's to get in! So, it's like a kid in a candy shop.
No problem. Costco is a great place to buy a TV, great returns and warranty.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
What's your budget and what size you want?

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Sucks my nearest Costco is soooo far away .
Wonder if tcl micro led will be cheap next year ?? Anywhere

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Altho not as good as it once was, but too many people porked that one out of existence :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Altho not as good as it once was, but too many people porked that one out of existence :)
Exactly, people took advantage and ruined it. As usual with humans, we ruin everything.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
What's your budget and what size you want?
ideally sub $1k. 800-$1,500 in reality. 55-60 inch. I tend to find a really good product outside of my price range, and follow it till it drops to an affordable price. Im not opposed to led, but i would really like smething that will be as good as my plasma.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
ideally sub $1k. 800-$1,500 in reality. 55-60 inch. I tend to find a really good product outside of my price range, and follow it till it drops to an affordable price. Im not opposed to led, but i would really like smething that will be as good as my plasma.
Normally plasma owners gravitate towards OLED so your price will be pushed closer to the $1500 limit.

I think the CX is right there at that price. The A8H is a little more. With tax and potential protection plans, they are likely out of your range. I'm not familiar enough with the BX to say if it's good compromise. Maybe with 2021 lineups coming soon, there will be better price drops.

For LCD, I'd vote for Sony 950H. The 900H is a step down and has more gaming future proofing (although I think 2.1 is overrated) but I think the 950 is better enough from PQ perspective that I'd still pick it even as a gamer. A high quality HDR performance is a better experience to me, and 60fps with better graphics is great still.

Samsung Q80 would be somewhere around 900H level but last I heard, samsung has issues with game mode having bad PQ. Also, no DV is meh for me.

One thing, these are all 55" TVs. If there is even a of potential you might prefer 60-65 in your room/distance, be wary of buyer's remorse. Of course, I think I'd rather have quality over size whe talking about tv.

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
Normally plasma owners gravitate towards OLED so your price will be pushed closer to the $1500 limit.

I think the CX is right there at that price. The A8H is a little more. With tax and potential protection plans, they are likely out of your range. I'm not familiar enough with the BX to say if it's good compromise. Maybe with 2021 lineups coming soon, there will be better price drops.

For LCD, I'd vote for Sony 950H. The 900H is a step down and has more gaming future proofing (although I think 2.1 is overrated) but I think the 950 is better enough from PQ perspective that I'd still pick it even as a gamer. A high quality HDR performance is a better experience to me, and 60fps with better graphics is great still.

Samsung Q80 would be somewhere around 900H level but last I heard, samsung has issues with game mode having bad PQ. Also, no DV is meh for me.

One thing, these are all 55" TVs. If there is even a of potential you might prefer 60-65 in your room/distance, be wary of buyer's remorse. Of course, I think I'd rather have quality over size whe talking about tv.
Is LG a quality product? Last time i Did research was around 2010, and Panny Kuro was KING!, samsung was great, Vizio was good and cheap, and LG was garbage.

I'm all about picture quality, not much of a gamer (play GTA5 on a ps3 here and there). I dont care about fancy internet features or apps built in. just good clean crisp picture.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Is LG a quality product? Last time i Did research was around 2010, and Panny Kuro was KING!, samsung was great, Vizio was good and cheap, and LG was garbage.

I'm all about picture quality, not much of a gamer (play GTA5 on a ps3 here and there). I dont care about fancy internet features or apps built in. just good clean crisp picture.
Whether LG is quality is debatable. I don't know nor have any data. There's a reason why it costs less than equivalent Sony models, but there are ton of happy campers. I do think Sony is safer bet from QA and overall polish in their processing and motion and gradients.

My current and previous 2 TVs have been Sony, so I'm trying not to be biased but I haven't found any reason to look at other brands yet.

If you want to go full budget, TCL 6 and 8 series are very good value and bang for the buck. I have a 6 series in my spare room and happy with it. The tradeoffs are of course more panel lottery and some compromises in build quality and processing, but very good for the more casual viewers.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Whether LG is quality is debatable. I don't know nor have any data. There's a reason why it costs less than equivalent Sony models, but there are ton of happy campers. I do think Sony is safer bet from QA and overall polish in their processing and motion and gradients.

My current and previous 2 TVs have been Sony, so I'm trying not to be biased but I haven't found any reason to look at other brands yet.

If you want to go full budget, TCL 6 and 8 series are very good value and bang for the buck. I have a 6 series in my spare room and happy with it. The tradeoffs are of course more panel lottery and some compromises in build quality and processing, but very good for the more casual viewers.

Not all Sony TVs are excellent, tcl 8 is pretty expensive now . But I’m sure it’s amazing

Old lcd vs 2015 led opinions
One of my Sony are good ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHANofPHUNK

PHANofPHUNK

Full Audioholic
aside from OLED, who then is making the TV with best Picture? And is QLED just a marketting ploy or are there real life , visual advantages?

Thanks, and CPD, I feel as though I've hijacked your thread. Should I start a new one to keep it clean?

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
No worries PHANofPHUNK. The thread is all yours. I got my advice. I got my TV. I set it up and it's running great. And oh boy is it pretty!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not sure I get this. I don't want to use TV based audio. I want the xbox audio to pass from the TV to the receiver so I can bypass the 4k 60 hz video limitation of the receiver when playing xbox. For all other sources (amazon fire tv, blu ray, tivo, other game systems etc) I want the receiver to do all video and audio switching. So for xbox the HDMI between the tv and receiver would carry just the audio signal from the tv back to the receiver. For all other sources that same HDMI cable would transfer just the video signal from the receiver to the tv. This is the stupid question part - is that basically what it is designed to do - can I limit the ARC usage to that one source?
ARC will see the audio from the tv as a single input, so when using the tv if just using your game console then no switching would be involved, but if you wanted to source other audio from the tv instead of the game console then you'd have to change that on the tv....

C

cpd

Full Audioholic
Alright, I'm high-jacking my thread back. Sorry PoP.

I'm having a set up issue that I believe I have isolated to my Denon AVR X3300W.

If you've read the thread you know I was trying to pass all inputs through my AVR other than the xbox. The problem I am having is that when connected through the AVR I cannot have 4k and HDR enabled (for which the Ultra HD Deep Color setting on the LG has to be set to on) without getting white snow like pixel flashing and the screen going intermittently blank for a few seconds at a time. When I toggle the Ultra HD Deep Color off and then back on the issues go away but it automatically adjusts the resolution outputting from the source (e.g. fire tv box) to 1080p. If I readjust the source back to 4k the snow and intermittent black screens come back.

Now, when I connect the sources directly to the TV HDMI inputs, bypassing the AVR, everything works fine -- 4K HDR with no snow or intermittent blackouts. So that's why I think the problem is with the AVR. The problem is that I have more sources than inputs on the TV so I'd really like to solve the issues and pass all signals (other than the xbox) through the AVR. I think I have the Video Output settings correct on the Denon:

Video Mode: Auto
Video Conversion: On
i/p Scaler: HDMI
Resolution (HDMI): 4k
Progressive Mode: Auto
Aspect Ratio 16:9

Any thoughts?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers