Center Channel mismatch

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
I used to have an account here years ago. Back when AV123 was selling Rocket speakers I dove in on that endeavor. I've been happy with them but I moved houses and now I need a thinner center channel speaker than the 12" tall bigfoot I currently have. I would hate to get rid of my mains though. Any suggestions on a center speaker that is about 7" tall and won't be to much of a sonic difference from my RS750 mains?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So what's holding you back particularly for the slightly taller center you have already?

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Screen placement. I went from a dedicated theater room to having to merge my theater into the living room. I'm able to keep my speakers so far but she wants to keep her furniture too. Moving the tv 6" higher might make it uncomfortable to watch so I'm thinking a potential quick fix is to just get a skinnier center channel.

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
I've been out of the audio game for several years now so I'm really hoping there is a quick fix. Wife is trying to push me to replace my whole setup with a Sonos theater system and I can't imagine that is going to be as good as my rockets and MFW 15 sub. Plus the rockets and sub are huge and I'm not looking forward to selling them if I really need a whole new setup.

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Run Phantom
Good idea. How did I totally forget that. I've never done it so I guess I forgot it was even a thing. Does it work ok? I suppose I'm about to find out when I set this up. Lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well not only are such center speakers a compromise to start, but generally the smaller ones are even more stressed.....but if limited by a specific dimension you do what ya gotta do. Got no limitations on center size other than fitting near a tv myself.....someday would like an AT screen with equal speakers behind....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I just did a quick search to see if I could find a center speaker with that same ring radiator tweeter but I was unsuccessful.

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
There is a wedge of space about 3 feet above the TV. Would mount the speaker that far above the TV cause the voices to fall out of the sound stage?

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Mazer you have been at this for a long time. You were super active on this forum years ago too. Nice to see a familiar name!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
There is a wedge of space about 3 feet above the TV. Would mount the speaker that far above the TV cause the voices to fall out of the sound stage?
Since neither truly comes out of the center of the picture, below or above isn't that big a difference, depends more how you arrange the mount/angle towards your listening position....

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Maybe purchase a pair of Onix bookshelf speakers used on the market I don't know if that would work for you.

Maybe this

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
That's what I was thinking too. The people who lived here before must have had a center near the ceiling because it is wired for it. I've just remember back when I first was looking at theater setups that most people insisted the center should be ear level.

M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Since neither truly comes out of the center of the picture, below or above isn't that big a difference, depends more how you arrange the mount/angle towards your listening position....
I have a center speaker just above a TV in one of my systems (fireplace issue). Before I set it up I was concerned it might sound "off" but it works fine.

At the time I mounted it I figured out the angle and mounted the speaker so it is directed downwards directly towards a seated person in the viewing position (AKA me sitting on the sofa). I'm not sure how much difference this makes in my setup because I never tried it with the speaker mounted horizontal.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ideally you want it there under the TV but if it has to go above the TV and you angle it down towards the listening position that wouldn't be that bad either

I

ivseenbetter2020

Audioholic Intern
Cool. I think I'm going to try and mount it. Its a big heavy speaker to wall mount but heck...you only live once. If it doesn't work then I'll go phantom and see how that goes too.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis