S

Stoney

Audiophyte
Ok,
I need some advice on which would be the best set to go with of the listed:
1: SVS Primes with the PB1000 or HSU VTF-2 MK5 Sub
2: RSL CG3's with the PB1000 or HSU VTF-2 MK5 Sub
3: Just get the complete Hybrid 2.5 - 5.1 package from HSU
Every ones input will be greatly appreciated as I am new to this and set a budget as to how much I'm willing to spend.
I will be using a Denon 95 watt per channel receiver.
Thanks

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Ok,
I need some advice on which would be the best set to go with

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic
Ascend 340se or Chane A2.5

HSU VTF-2MK5 for the sub.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
All of those options are fine. The VTF-2 mk5 is more powerful than the PB-1000 so I would try to swing for the Hsu. The Hsu speakers will be a bit more powerful than the SVS speakers and significantly more powerful than the RSL 3 series.

S

Stoney

Audiophyte
I'm locked in on the hsu sub. Still trying to decide on the loudspeakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What about the ascend 340's vs the rsl's ?
The 340s are way more expensive than the RSL CG3s. They aren't really competing with each other. The same priced RSL speakers are the CG5s which are pretty good speakers. The Hsu speakers are good as well.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have not heard the Ascend acoustics CMT 340s but have heard only good things about them.
I have RSL CG23 LCR and CG3 surrounds and don't underestimate them, they are excellent, excellent speakers. They surprise the hell out of me at just how good they sound. Don't think small sound even though they are not very big speakers. They sound ever bit as big as my old much larger speakers. They are way more dynamic and detailed than my older much more expensive speakers also.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Whichever brand you go for, always make sure you get the same brand for fronts and surrounds, otherwise there won't be a synergy.
Always stick to the brand that makes a complete set, i.e bookshelf L/R, Center & surrounds, Sub.

Elacs is one of the best brand that makes the full set.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Whichever brand you go for, always make sure you get the same brand for fronts and surrounds, otherwise there won't be a synergy.
Always stick to the brand that makes a complete set, i.e bookshelf L/R, Center & surrounds, Sub.

THIS POST IS COMPLETE GARBAGE!!!

While I like the same speaker or same family of speaker all around. It is NOT Written in Stone. Your main L/C/R do have to match for a seamless front. But your surrounds its less critical.
As for the Subwoofer. The subwoofer does Not have to be from the same brand as your speakers.

Low Frequencies need not be Timbre Matched. Low Frequencies need to be reproduced Cleanly, and Accurately.

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
Ok,
I need some advice on which would be the best set to go with of the listed:
1: SVS Primes with the PB1000 or HSU VTF-2 MK5 Sub
2: RSL CG3's with the PB1000 or HSU VTF-2 MK5 Sub
3: Just get the complete Hybrid 2.5 - 5.1 package from HSU
Every ones input will be greatly appreciated as I am new to this and set a budget as to how much I'm willing to spend.
I will be using a Denon 95 watt per channel receiver.
Thanks
Also I don't know how the Denon will sound for music, but you do need to calibrate it and set the right setting if you're watching Netflix through your TV & that too in 5.1 surround Dolby. I heard people complaining about Denons & netflix.

By default, after calibration, Denon will mostly set the reference to 0 db which is right for movies. But you have to test the sound with Dynamic volume set on Off, Light or medium.

There is a dialogue volume too which needs to be adjusted.

Looking at watts, I can confirm you have the X2000 series of denon.

Last edited:
Teetertotter?

Teetertotter?

Senior Audioholic

@mazersteven said, this post is "COMPLETE Garbage." Nothing can be more TRUE. I confirm!!

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Spartan
Not a word from any of you regarding my amazing restraint, f#%kers! But, a bunch of sharp witted and may I say sharp looking f#%kers you are.;) I’ve heard of Hershey’s Kisses, but are those Hershey’s Cousins?:D

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
@mazersteven said, this post is "COMPLETE Garbage." Nothing can be more TRUE. I confirm!!
And your useless comment is king of garbage.

Atleast make an attempt to read & understand what I posted.

I said, one should always match their Fronts & Surrounds. Sub can be any brand.

I had a terrible experience with Denon when I used Elacs as my Front & Boston Acoustics as my surrounds. The surrounds would always distract me in movies, as they felt a tad louder than the fronts even after proper calibration. The sound felt disconnected.

Then, I bought the Elac OW4.2 (OW stands for on wall I suppose) which improved things a lot. It was the best match for my B6.2s and I loved the surround much better

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
And your useless comment is king of garbage.

I had a terrible experience with Denon when I used Elacs as my Front & Boston Acoustics as my surrounds. The surrounds would always distract me in movies, as they felt a tad louder than the fronts even after proper calibration. The sound felt disconnected.

Then, I bought the Elac OW4.2 (OW stands for on wall I suppose) which improved things a lot. It was the best match for my B6.2s and I loved the surround much better

I've read many of your posts concerning Denon AVR when listening to stereo material: It quite simply does not make any sense with all the testing done. In this, the onus is on you to prove your claims.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
I do understand what you wrote and don't try and change it it's exactly in writing where you wrote that the sub should be from the same speaker brand was included in your first original post. So don't bullshit nobody

S

Sachb

Full Audioholic
I've read many of your posts concerning Denon AVR when listening to stereo material: It quite simply does not make any sense with all the testing done. In this, the onus is on you to prove your claims.
Why do I need to prove it to you? If somone has the feeling that one sounds better then the other then you should just accept it.

Measurements aren't the only thing in how an equipment when matched to certain brand will sound.

Look at the thread, Hegel 90 vs Denon, op tried his best to convey his experience between the Denon X4700H & Hegel 90, but you'll pushed him into believing it was all his imagination or say perception about the brands. What in the actual f?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis