Upgrading from RF62II, looking for suggestions

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Currently have RF62IIs and RC52. Have had them for about 6 years and am looking to upgrade to something that is a little less fatiguing at high volumes. I also want to move away from Klipsch.

Budget is $2K/pair but if it's worth it can go another $200/pair.

Room is 13x14x9, 1600 cubic ft, listening distance is about 8.5ft, I have a pair of subs, Onkyo RZ820.

My usage is around 80/20 HT/music but music performance is more important. I listen to pretty much everything from Miles Davis, Melody Gargot to Clutch and Tool and everything in between. For jazz and blues I prefer to listen without the subs so I'd be looking for speakers that have enough bass and bass extension for that. Female voice reproduction is also a priority. I normally listen to jazz and blues at around -25db average and for the more rock oriented up to around -20db. It's at this volume that my current speakers are just too bright. If I were able to I would likely listen a little louder on occasion.

The speakers need to be available from Crutchfield. I live in Hawaii and don't want to waste a lot of money on shipping if I need to return them.

So far I've narrowed things down to Wharfedale 11.5, Evo 4.3 (if they enough bass output), Evo 4.4, SVS Pinnacle, Focal 816 and if it's worth the extra $$$ Focal 826 and Monitor Audio Silver 300. I'd be open to stand mount speakers if they have enough bass and enough volume for HT. Something like the Wharfedale Linton possibly.

So, if anyone has any experience with the speakers mentioned or have any other suggestions in the same price range or less, please post them.
Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My 2 humble cents:

p.s: If you are using these speakers in HT, you'd also need to replace your RC52 with PSB Imagine C, but since I have been discontinued, XC should be a close match.
Here's AH review:

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks, don't think I'll be going with the PSBs though. Lack of a bid CC and the fact that the towers appear to be discontinued as well.

I've decided to add the Kef Q750 and Q950 to the list. With these two I'm wondering if there is a significant advantage to the 1.5" tweeter of the 950 over the 1" of the 750?

808MSM

Audiophyte
I was in the same boat on speakers during the Fall. Pulled the trigger without listening on the Warfedale Evo 4.4's based on some European and other reviews. Using a Marantz AVR7007 with them. With Crutchfield's $75 return policy I couldn't resist. This is my recently posted Crutchfield review, hope it helps, feel free to ask follow-up questions;

Amazing speakers. Wide, dynamic, creamy smooth but precise. These are very telling of your source and equipment. They are also beautifully made and finished. Definitely large, full-scale speakers. The bass is remarkable (I kept checking my sub was off), the vocals from the dome midrange bring another level of scale and detail to male and female vocals. The ribbon (AMT) tweeter is sweet and not harsh at all. They seem to smooth off before any hint of sibilance (except some poor recordings with certain female vocals). I wouldn't call them bright, which was a concern. They are great within a 7.2 setup or 2-channel. I am listening to my music (FLAC and vinyl) all over again and my mouth is usually open and my head moving around and finding all kinds of detail, depth, and separation. I listened to similar $2k speakers; B&W, Martin Logan, Definitive Tech, ELAC, KEF and Monitor Audio. The Monitors and ELAC were close but these just did everything better. I wanted B&W's 603's but the mids were bright, felt dry and overwhelmed the music.

Pros: +Bold, dynamic, spacious sound. +Bass seems unreal for the size of the drivers. +Detailed without being fatiguing. +Beautiful design and build.
Cons: +They are big and fill out a large room well (maybe not a con?). + Telling of poor recordings or equipment.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I was in the same boat on speakers during the Fall. Pulled the trigger without listening on the Warfedale Evo 4.4's based on some European and other reviews. Using a Marantz AVR7007 with them. With Crutchfield's $75 return policy I couldn't resist. This is my recently posted Crutchfield review, hope it helps, feel free to ask follow-up questions;

Amazing speakers. Wide, dynamic, creamy smooth but precise. These are very telling of your source and equipment. They are also beautifully made and finished. Definitely large, full-scale speakers. The bass is remarkable (I kept checking my sub was off), the vocals from the dome midrange bring another level of scale and detail to male and female vocals. The ribbon (AMT) tweeter is sweet and not harsh at all. They seem to smooth off before any hint of sibilance (except some poor recordings with certain female vocals). I wouldn't call them bright, which was a concern. They are great within a 7.2 setup or 2-channel. I am listening to my music (FLAC and vinyl) all over again and my mouth is usually open and my head moving around and finding all kinds of detail, depth, and separation. I listened to similar $2k speakers; B&W, Martin Logan, Definitive Tech, ELAC, KEF and Monitor Audio. The Monitors and ELAC were close but these just did everything better. I wanted B&W's 603's but the mids were bright, felt dry and overwhelmed the music.

Pros: +Bold, dynamic, spacious sound. +Bass seems unreal for the size of the drivers. +Detailed without being fatiguing. +Beautiful design and build.
Cons: +They are big and fill out a large room well (maybe not a con?). + Telling of poor recordings or equipment.
Which Kefs did you listen to? I ended up with a pair of Q750s which I really like but am tempted to try the Evo 4.2s and if they're really that good maybe go with the 4.3 or 4.4 since I prefer towers.

Thanks

808MSM

Audiophyte
I listened to the Q950 and Q750. Both sounded great in the sweet spot with the concentric uniQ design. They just weren't exciting or dynamic, they didn't stick out. Though this may have been the listening room at Magnolia and source. There is just something different about the dome mid and ribbon tweeter.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
I listened to the Q950 and Q750. Both sounded great in the sweet spot with the concentric uniQ design. They just weren't exciting or dynamic, they didn't stick out. Though this may have been the listening room at Magnolia and source. There is just something different about the dome mid and ribbon tweeter.
Thanks. I think I'm going to NOT try anything else right now. Don't really want to go down that hole. I'm happy with the 750s and have a 650c coming. Based on what I've read and watched (reviews) it might be more of a lateral move for my needs.

808MSM

Audiophyte
Thanks. I think I'm going to NOT try anything else right now. Don't really want to go down that hole. I'm happy with the 750s and have a 650c coming. Based on what I've read and watched (reviews) it might be more of a lateral move for my needs.
Yep, I'd agree, more lateral or just a different and unique KEF sound compared to the EVO sound (Dome mid/AMT tweeter vs UniQ) I never could find both side by side online or in person. Both great speakers though.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis