Two VTF-15H MK2 vs Two Monolith 15 Ultra

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
When you say even bass response, that is a more uniform sound across various seating areas right? It also might mean for the MLP that the bass is less localized and more immersive even if at the same SPL? Just want to make sure I understand.

So even if adding subs in different areas really doesn't give you much additional SPL, it makes sense to do so (especially leveraging the MiniDSP HD 2x4 to ensure they are not blocking each other out). I did find that leveraging a 2x4 in my upstairs setup really seemed to help sound quality a good bit. I tried it in my downstairs setup and I'm not sure it really helped all that much but that speaks to the different room issues.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
So even if adding subs in different areas really doesn't give you much additional SPL, it makes sense to do so (especially leveraging the MiniDSP HD 2x4 to ensure they are not blocking each other out). I did find that leveraging a 2x4 in my upstairs setup really seemed to help sound quality a good bit. I tried it in my downstairs setup and I'm not sure it really helped all that much but that speaks to the different room issues.
Adding subs in multiple locations does increase SPL capability. Even though Audyssey will try to level match the two subs, they have much more punch as a group and it's easily noticed.

Once I added multiple subs I found myself less likely to up the sub volumes above what Audyssey pre-selected and the bottom end is much more dynamic and can easily rattle the room in action scenes.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Adding subs in multiple locations does increase SPL capability. Even though Audyssey will try to level match the two subs, they have much more punch as a group and it's easily noticed.

Once I added multiple subs I found myself less likely to up the sub volumes above what Audyssey pre-selected and the bottom end is much more dynamic and can easily rattle the room in action scenes.
If you add more subs, yes it does increase SPL capability and headroom, especially in deep bass, but not quite as much as placing the subs right next to each other.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If you add more subs, yes it does increase SPL capability and headroom, especially in deep bass, but not quite as much as placing the subs right next to each other.
@shadyJ - In your tests, does it matter which direction each sub faces to encounter max. gain? For instance, if both subs are side by side but not pointed in the same direction does that impact the result?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
@shadyJ - In your tests, does it matter which direction each sub faces to encounter max. gain? For instance, if both subs are side by side but not pointed in the same direction does that impact the result?
Theoretically, it shouldn't matter, but in practice, it does matter. For example, if a port and a driver are mounted on different sides of the sub, the mic will pick more from whichever is facing it. The driver matters more than the port here, so you generally want the driver facing the mic than the port, because the port only produces deeper frequencies, and you don't get as much losses from deep stuff when the port isn't facing the mic.

However, in a room, it shouldn't matter as much since the energy is more contained in a small space rather than flowing out freely in all directions.

J

john20182050

Audioholic
john20182050,

So after having compared them, do you favor the sound of the VTF-15H MK2 or the Monoprice 15in THX Ultra?
Sorry, I was away from these forums for nearly 3 years. I have both subs now, I love Monolith 15inch sub than HSU. HSU sound is not as strong and tight as Monolith. HSU also seems to have some quality issues when you play more sub-audio continuously, HSU starts some burning coil sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis