Two VTF-15H MK2 vs Two Monolith 15 Ultra

J

john20182050

Audioholic
Two VTF-15H MK2 vs Two Monolith 15 Ultra? Which one is better for room 16 feet length and 32 feet width?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Two VTF-15H MK2 vs Two Monolith 15 Ultra? Which one is better for room 16 feet length and 32 feet width?
HSU out of those choices. Easy win for HSU given the long history there vs Monoprice. Maybe PM to Shadyj to get an idea but he hasn’t done an in depth on Monolith 15. Not sure if he will say anything specific. :)

If price was no object I think the Rythmik FV15HP would be cool. I have the LVX12 and love it. Good luck! :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'd say it's a toss up. I'm sure the Monolith will have some good distortion numbers based on THX, and we have seen numbers on the HSU at databass.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Lol, I have both these subs sitting side-by-side behind my sofa right now. I also have detailed measurement sets of both subs. They are both great subs, but I don't want to say too much about the Monolith so as not to spoil the forthcoming review. I will say that two of either one would be able to tackle a room of that size, unless you are after insane SPLs.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
If price was no object I think the Rythmik FV15HP would be cool. I have the LVX12 and love it. Good luck! :)
Rythmik FV15HP is not a cost no object sub. It doesn't cost much more than the Monolith 15" THX Ultra. It looks to be roughly comparable in performance.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Lol, I have both these subs sitting side-by-side behind my sofa right now. I also have detailed measurement sets of both subs. They are both great subs, but I don't want to say too much about the Monolith so as not to spoil the forthcoming review. I will say that two of either one would be able to tackle a room of that size, unless you are after insane SPLs.
I'm very interested in that review although I'm going with Rhythmik I'm just really curious about your take on the Monolith 15. I'm really looking forward to that one!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
To be honest that's a really tough call I'd have to put it at a tie. From specs and reviews I'd say they're pretty darn close. Some of the bassheads over on AVS are giving the Monolith 15 an enormous amount of praise and love and knowing how those fellas can be picky about they're products that says a lot about the Monolith. But I've never heard these products myself this is all just secondhand research not direct experience so u should take my input with that in mind. Anything Shady has to say I'd give a whole lottof weight to. His direct experience with these products and his helpfulness to me he went out of his way to help me with some questions I had (thanks again Shady!) Were invaluable in helping to steer me to my final choice.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai
Todd Anderson at AV Nirvana tested the Monolith THX 12 and got an in-room measurement flat down to ~ 12-13 Hz.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Todd Anderson at AV Nirvana tested the Monolith THX 12 and got an in-room measurement flat down to ~ 12-13 Hz.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
That's insaaaaaane for a 12! I wonder how big his room was?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
That says a lot more about his room than the Monolith 12" THX Ultra. 12 Hz is below the intended operational range of that sub. I would not get one expecting useful 12 Hz output. In any of its modes, the natural response of the 12" THX Ultra is going to be down by around 15 dB at 12 Hz.

J

john20182050

Audioholic
Okay. great response. Thank you all. I placed an order for Monolith but only one unit. Let me see how it is. I already have HSU. I'll compare them and see.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Okay. great response. Thank you all. I placed an order for Monolith but only one unit. Let me see how it is. I already have HSU. I'll compare them and see.
Hope you enjoy it! Look forward to hearing your experience with it I'm curious about those Monolith 15's myself!

T

ToneDeafAudioRookie

Enthusiast
john20182050,

So after having compared them, do you favor the sound of the VTF-15H MK2 or the Monoprice 15in THX Ultra?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
@john20182050 ,

So after having compared them, do you favor the sound of the VTF-15H MK2 or the Monoprice 15in THX Ultra?
Don't hold your breath, as he was last here on September 28th!

But I wanted to point out that by putting the @ symbol in front of his UserID and making sure any punctuation (such as a comma) is at least a space behind will notify him.
With the changes I made above, he should get notice if he has his phone set to alert him.

Edit: It may be that this will not work in a quote, so I am replicating it here:
@john20182050
Yep, the blue color to the font indicates it works here and not in the quote.

T

ToneDeafAudioRookie

Enthusiast
Anyone think the Monoprice M-215 Dual 15" THX Ultra is worth the extra cost over the Monoprice 15in THX Ultra?

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I would rather have two HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP Subs. They will provide more bass than most people will ever need, they look nicer and they won't break your back like the Monoprice 15" or the dual 15" Monoprice.

You will save a bunch on Dr. bills. lol
:cool:

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Also, one single dual sub just gives you greater output SPL. I would much rather have two single subs that can be positioned such that they even out the bass performance in-room.
Two VTF3s from Hsu would be killer. Two of the Monoprice 15s would be too, don’t get me wrong. ;) But even bass response across the room is nice!

T

ToneDeafAudioRookie

Enthusiast
So you both prefer the sound of the HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP over the Monoprice 15in THX Ultra?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis