Canton vs Aperion speaker help

S

SheepForest

Audiophyte
Hello, I'm looking to upgrade my home theater over a good period of time. Wanted to start with a good 3.0 setup as I live in an apartment. I'm currently debating between the Canton Chrono SL 536.2 and the Aperion Verus III Grand Bookshelves and matching centers respectively. I'll be using a Denon x3600h receiver to power. I will be using them for mostly music and movies. I plan to add a subwoofer later on. Any help would be appreciated as well as other recommendations under $1500 for the L/C/R, thank you.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
how's $1917 before shipping and taxes are under $1500? Paradigm generally makes good speakers, but hardly ever cheap.

OP, If you don't mind plain looks, Ascend's CMT-340 SE + center would be hard to beat $ for performance.
It's $908 before shipping/taxes including L/R optional stand.
Another great option, probably even better suited for movies and louder music is JBL Studio 580/590 and Matching 520C center. At today's BF prices, there nearly impossible to match if you like a bit louder sound.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
how's $1917 before shipping and taxes are under $1500? Paradigm generally makes good speakers, but hardly ever cheap.

OP, If you don't mind plain looks, Ascend's CMT-340 SE + center would be hard to beat $ for performance.
It's $908 before shipping/taxes including L/R optional stand.
It's up to the OP if he wants to up his budget I just wanted to show that you can get very good towers for very close to the same price as bookshelf.

I would also recommend the Sierra 1's over the 340s

S

SheepForest

Audiophyte
It's up to the OP if he wants to up his budget I just wanted to show that you can get very good towers for very close to the same price as bookshelf.

I would also recommend the Sierra 1's over the 340s
Forgot to clarify, looking to get bookshelves for now. Will add towers and move bookshelves to surrounds when I move next year. Am still interested in the options though.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If you want a pair of speakers that will open your audio window to a new level of clarity/definition and be your favorite bookshelf speakers for the next 20 years.... get the latest BMR for $1700. You can use it for music and movies and add a center channel later.

333.png

If you are looking for mid-bass slam and a very lively sound I would consider the Canton Vento 836.2 ($1000).

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
If you want a pair of speakers that will open your audio window to a new level of clarity/definition and be your favorite bookshelf speakers for the next 20 years.... get the latest BMR for $1700. You can use it for music and movies and add a center channel later.

View attachment 42134

If you are looking for mid-bass slam and a very lively sound I would consider the Canton Vento 836.2 ($1000).
Is there a center available for those Cantons??? Other then using a 3rd as center

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Different tweeter

The Vento 866.2 is the proper center

Even Kpaceguy uses the 866.2 o_O

Last edited:
S

SheepForest

Audiophyte

View attachment 42134

So if I wanted to build out a high end system over the years, I should start with these, and would a x3600h even properly power these?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
So if I wanted to build out a high end system over the years, I should start with these, and would a x3600h even properly power these?
The Denon 3600 would power them as long as you're not looking for volumes at reference level or in a large room. A nice pair of amps would help with those speakers

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The Denon 3600 would be fine for powering the BMR. I am using a 60W Hegel H90 on my pair of BMR's. I never get past 60 on the volume control. But I'm only 9 feet away. They can take more power if you place them in a larger room.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I think that would be a good plan. In my mind, have a top quality stereo pair is the way to enter and you can fill in the rest as needed.
The Denon 3600 is plenty of juice for the BMR's, especially if you are only running the Denon in stereo.
Next thing I would do is get a subwoofer or two. This will also free up the power demand from the Denon for when you add the other speakers.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I think that would be a good plan. In my mind, have a top quality stereo pair is the way to enter and you can fill in the rest as needed.
The Denon 3600 is plenty of juice for the BMR's, especially if you are only running the Denon in stereo.
Next thing I would do is get a subwoofer or two. This will also free up the power demand from the Denon for when you add the other speakers.
A sub would be great but I'm amazed how deep the BMR's go by themselves. To start out, I would just get the BMR's and use them with your Denon 3600. Once you have extra funds down the road you could consider adding a quality sub. However, I would try the BMR with your 3600 and see how they impress you just by themselves.

I was playing Blade Runner 2049 on the BMR's this morning without a sub and I was amazed at how low they go and how powerful they sound. BMR offers bass extension significantly lower than my Vento Ref. 9.2.

I understand money can be tight. Building a system you can grow into starting with the BMR and the Denon 3600 will give you a quality base to start with. Once you hear these two together you will be surprised how rich and clear they sound. As you feed the BMR power they really open up with clarity and definition.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
A sub would be great but I'm amazed how deep the BMR's go by themselves. To start out, I would just get the BMR's and use them with your Denon 3600. Once you have extra funds down the road you could consider adding a quality sub. However, I would try the BMR with your 3600 and see how they impress you just by themselves.
Agreed, I did not mean to imply that the BMR needed the subs to sound good (especially for music), more that the Denon would benefit from it before adding more speakers and, of course, if he is looking for deep LFE for HT!

PS glad you are still enjoying both your Vento Ref 9.2 and the BMR's! Any time you'd like to comment on the relative pros and cons of these, I'm all ears!
(I have the previous version of the BMR and the lower level Vento 830.2 and love both despite recognizing they do not sound the same).

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What would his center speaker options be with the BMR, tho? A third one? Can he accommodate such?

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
PS glad you are still enjoying both your Vento Ref 9.2 and the BMR's! Any time you'd like to comment on the relative pros and cons of these, I'm all ears!
(I have the previous version of the BMR and the lower level Vento 830.2 and love both despite recognizing they do not sound the same).
Post #26

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Different tweeter

The Vento 866.2 is the proper center

Even Kpaceguy uses the 866.2 o_O

Not sure if A4L will still stock Canton next year. Normally 556.2 or 866.2 would be the choices. Neither are in stock.

Chrono SL 536.2 would probably work if the size worked in the space, but they aren’t sold separately. They are only available as a pair on A4L.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis